Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 AM

432 posts, read 1,225,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
If you want to live in an apartment in Minneapolis you won't have any problem at all. I don't think you'll have a problem in general, either. I've lived in different places with the same mgmt company for MANY years (except a break when I moved to LA) & they accept pets (cats & dogs) in all of their bldgs. They are mostly Uptown Mpls.

From what I've seen in helping others look for apts, most now charge a regular rental deposit, plus a NON-refundable (SOMETIMES it's refundable) pet deposit (sometimes as much as $400), AND many even charge a monthly "pet rent". It's pretty common now.

About bringing cats into the USA - are there not quarantine rules too? I have a Service Dog & rules about bringing her in other countries even just to visit (back 8 years ago, at least) were awful.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about rentals.
Thanks for that information. It seems like Minneapolis is quite a pet friendly place. Where I currently live in Australia less than 2% of rentals accepts pets so I have been really surprised that it appears to be about 50% accepts pets in MN. Australia has very strict border controls as there is NO RABIES in this country and other exotic diseases. If you wanted to bring a animal to Australia you would need to quarantine for 6 months. Basically all I have to do to take them into the USA is get the vet check paperwork, any necessary shots and pay for the travel. The USA will accept healthy Australia cats without quarantine periods as we are disease free here. I have a blind friend that travels to the USA a couple times a year and she is not allowed to take her guide dog with her which makes it hard as when she returns to Australia the authorities told her the dog would need to be quaratined as it left Australian soil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,031,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Thanks for that information. It seems like Minneapolis is quite a pet friendly place. Where I currently live in Australia less than 2% of rentals accepts pets so I have been really surprised that it appears to be about 50% accepts pets in MN. Australia has very strict border controls as there is NO RABIES in this country and other exotic diseases. If you wanted to bring a animal to Australia you would need to quarantine for 6 months.
Is that long quarantine period still true? I know the UK used to be that way, but now people coming from a certain subset of countries can bypass that requirement by providing the appropriate paperwork (proof of continuous vaccination, etc.).

Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 AM

432 posts, read 1,225,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Is that long quarantine period still true? I know the UK used to be that way, but now people coming from a certain subset of countries can bypass that requirement by providing the appropriate paperwork (proof of continuous vaccination, etc.).
Yep its still 6 months as per government info below...

The importation of cats and dogs from an AQIS non approved country can only occur indirectly via an AQIS approved country.
If you intend to import cats and dogs indirectly via an AQIS approved country, you must first contact the quarantine service in the AQIS approved country to ensure that cats and dogs are eligible for entry. Cats and dogs must meet all of the pre and post-entry quarantine requirements of the AQIS approved country.
Cats and dogs must be continuously resident in an AQIS approved country for a minimum of six months prior to export. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Cats and dogs must meet all of the AQIS import conditions that apply to the AQIS approved country before being eligible for import into Australia.
Example:
  • The cat/dog is currently living in Thailand
  • Thailand is not an AQIS approved country.
  • Singapore is an AQIS approved country.
  • You will then need to contact the quarantine service in Singapore to determine whether they allow cats/dogs to be imported into Singapore from Thailand.
  • If the animal can be imported into Singapore, 6 months after arriving in Singapore the cat/dog may be imported into Australia. This is provided the animal meets all of the AQIS import conditions for cats/dogs from Singapore.
Note: Singapore is only one example of an AQIS approved country. Not all cats and dogs must be sent to Singapore to be eligible for import into Australia.
All vaccinations, blood samples and blood testing required by AQIS must be conducted whilst the cat or dog is resident in an AQIS approved country. AQIS will not accept any pre-export vaccinations, blood samples or blood testing completed in an AQIS non approved country.
You can commence the import preparation to meet the conditions for Australian Quarantine as soon as the cat or dog arrives in the AQIS approved country. You do not need to wait for your cat or dog to meet the residency condition of six months before starting the import process

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM

364 posts, read 445,881 times
Try StuartCo | StuartCo they have plenty of properties around the Twin Cities area that allows cats! Good Luck on the move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul