Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,098 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my girlfriend and I are moving to the MSP area in the coming months for work. We are late 20's and while she is originally from Michigan I am from NYC. Was hoping for some suggestions on communities and places that we should focus our search efforts on. She will be working in Maplewood and I will be working in downtown St. Paul. We are looking for an area that has a nice, diverse social scene (think lots of great restaurants, bars, and shops) and is a convenient drive to downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. Ideally we are looking to rent and would prefer modern rental communities or buildings. Would also like an area that has other young couples and families. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciates. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,779 times
You could look for places in Lowertown in St. Paul. You could walk to work and your girlfriend would have an easy commute. The area has a lot of people moving it. It's up-and-coming with a new transit hub (the renovated Union Depot), has a farmer's market, will be a terminus for the Green Line light rail (at the Union Depot, linking DT St. Paul to DT Minneapolis), the future Saints ballpark, bars and restaurants, etc.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 AM

391 posts, read 659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
You could look for places in Lowertown in St. Paul. You could walk to work and your girlfriend would have an easy commute. The area has a lot of people moving it. It's up-and-coming with a new transit hub (the renovated Union Depot), has a farmer's market, will be a terminus for the Green Line light rail (at the Union Depot, linking DT St. Paul to DT Minneapolis), the future Saints ballpark, bars and restaurants, etc.
I would second Lowertown. There are a lot of areas in Minneapolis with more nightlife and bustle (Uptown, Warehouse District, etc.) but you will be a lot farther from your work. You're not going to have as many entertainment and dining options in LT, but its improving rapidly and in the next year or two you'll be able to hop on the light rail to DT Minneapolis. It's also cheaper, at least for now.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,140 times
If you need to be close to work then I'll 2nd, err, 3rd Lowertown. If I were to live in St Paul that would be the place. Keep in mind there is a frequent direct express bus route between the downtowns of St Paul and Mpls. In that case you could live carless and carfree in North Loop or Loring Park where you'd be closer to much, much more aside from work. And in just over a year there will be regular light rail service between the two.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM

319 posts, read 528,870 times
4th Lowertown. Your girlfriend will want to be on the eastern side of the metro if she's commuting to Maplewood and I agree with what was said above.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,098 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any thoughts/advice on Summit University area or some of the aprrments down by the river?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM

391 posts, read 659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli2485 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any thoughts/advice on Summit University area or some of the aprrments down by the river?
I think you're referring to the upper landing area (Riverview Apts?). I almost mentioned those previously as you mentioned wanting a modern building.

The area down along the river is separated from the rest of the uppertown neighborhood by a bluff, but there is plenty of dining and shopping up along W. 7th St. It would still be walking or biking distance from downtown, and Shepard/Warner Rd. lets you bypass a lot of downtown freeway traffic going to Maplewood. Lots of green space and walking/biking trails along the river. There is a greater springtime flood risk being so close to the river but I don't think the area by the apartments is a problem. Others may know about where flooding is most likely.

Summit-U is a big area, but I think you're referring to the Cathedral Hill and Selby-Dale areas along Selby Ave between the St. Paul Cathedral and Dale St.. This area has a lot of dining and some shops as well. It's an old victorian neighborhood, but there are a few newer apts. and condos mixed in along Selby. It's a little further from downtown, but not much - especially the end nearer the cathedral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul