Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM

319 posts, read 528,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnermfg View Post
I just got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign while making a right turn. I live in Minnesota. Is there a way to contest this?
Go to court
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
I see more people stopping needlessly at yield signs than I do people completely stopping at stop signs.

The other thing is that almost no one in Minnesota understands how a four-way stop works. People will just SIT there and stare at the other cars in the intersection, waiting for an engraved invitation to proceed. And few people understand that even if others have been waiting longer, it's perfectly OK to proceed when you are going parallel to an oncoming car going the opposite direction. You don't have to wait for that car to clear the intersection, then for someone else to go, then for you to go. People here make it so complicated.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,756 times
Quote:
Stop means stop.

stop= no movement.
Exactly.

I don’t see how that’s “subjective.” On the contrary, it’s something that 1) everyone understands and 2) is a definitive standard (i.e. stopped versus moving).

When you get into “rolling stops should be OK” and then “but not if you’re rolling at x MPH”, you’re making a law that’s difficult to adhere to, not to mention almost impossible to enforce.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Call the number on the back of the ticket during standard office hours. It should lead to a courthouse clerk in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Unless you're innocent and are positive that they can't find you guilty, DO NOT go to trial. If the officer has an in-car camera (and they probably do), there's a good chance he has you rolling through on video. If that goes to trial, you will be found guilty without a doubt, and you'll just annoy the judge, the prosecutor, and the officer. Nothing good can come from that.

What you want to do when you call in is ask for a way to keep it off your record. The procedure will vary widely by jurisdiction, and since you don't say what city and county you received the ticket in, that's about as far as I can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul