Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Good point. Either way, having a commute to Mankato and St. Paul is just not going to work. On the east coast where you can travel for 90 miles and never really get out of "the city" it's a different story--especially with the train systems, etc. It's just not the same thing here.
Plus the OP is probably not going to be living on a state highway, anyway, so the biggest challenge some days may be getting from their house to a main highway. There's a reason there are more school closings and delays outstate than in the cities. It takes time to plow all those county roads. Apparently longer than the streets of Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Plus the OP is probably not going to be living on a state highway, anyway, so the biggest challenge some days may be getting from their house to a main highway. There's a reason there are more school closings and delays outstate than in the cities. It takes time to plow all those county roads. Apparently longer than the streets of Minneapolis.
Plowing is one thing but it's really the blowing snow and reduced visibility that is responsible for the closings more often than not. We lived "in town" and would wonder why schools were closed but get to the edge of town and you couldn't see across the street. There is just nothing blocking the wind out there.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Having driven in major rural roads for 15+ years in all kinds of different winter weather, I beg to differ.
Please provide examples of routes that have had issues and specific times where you had problems with the commute. Where in the state? Which roads? What kinds of issues?

General statements don't mean much, GG. I drove rather a lot in the wintertime on rural roads in MN in the 25 years or so I lived up there, mainly in the western, southwestern, and south central parts of the state, and I also know the 169 route between Mankato and the Twin Cities rather well, tho obviously not recently.

Other than immediately around a relatively major snowstorm, travel on those roads is not all that exciting, and there aren't very many variables.

A commute on 169 would be trivial. As others have said, sideroads can certainly be a big issue, but we aren't talking about those. Are we?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM

13, 169, 35, 19, 22, 99, 4, 212, 59, 23

Those are just the major roads. Have you ever LIVED in rural MN?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Please provide examples of routes that have had issues and specific times where you had problems with the commute. Where in the state? Which roads? What kinds of issues?

General statements don't mean much, GG. I drove rather a lot in the wintertime on rural roads in MN in the 25 years or so I lived up there, mainly in the western, southwestern, and south central parts of the state, and I also know the 169 route between Mankato and the Twin Cities rather well, tho obviously not recently.

Other than immediately around a relatively major snowstorm, travel on those roads is not all that exciting, and there aren't very many variables.

A commute on 169 would be trivial. As others have said, sideroads can certainly be a big issue, but we aren't talking about those. Are we?
I think that was the point that golfgal and I were trying to make, rc: that a relatively major snowstorm would play havoc with a commute from New Prague or a similar spot to either the cities or Mankato. It would be very long commute by Twin Cities standards, but our point was that in a winter storm (or flooding) it wouldn't be doable at all, at least not in a time frame that could ensure that the OP would be getting to work or back safely or on time. I also think that we are talking about the side roads, as the topic at hand was commuting between Mankato and the cities which would likely include some side roads.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Since we have moved to the Twin Cities area, our kids have had ONE snow day--and that was really for fog--in almost 8 years. Towns like New Prague and points south tend to have 3-4 snow days/year. There were times in SW MN where we had a snow day almost every week. Unless you have lived through it, you just don't understand the difference being in the open farm country makes.

Also, looking back at snow fall totals for that year '02-03, the Twin Cities had about 15 inches of snow all winter, most of it in March. Less then 4" fell Dec-Feb.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
13, 169, 35, 19, 22, 99, 4, 212, 59, 23

Those are just the major roads. Have you ever LIVED in rural MN?
*rolls eyes*

In my experience, my dear, you're blowing smoke. Sorry. And yes I have, and I've had a number of relatives who have lived in rural MN and rural SD.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think that was the point that golfgal and I were trying to make, rc: that a relatively major snowstorm would play havoc with a commute from New Prague or a similar spot to either the cities or Mankato. It would be very long commute by Twin Cities standards, but our point was that in a winter storm (or flooding) it wouldn't be doable at all, at least not in a time frame that could ensure that the OP would be getting to work or back safely or on time. I also think that we are talking about the side roads, as the topic at hand was commuting between Mankato and the cities which would likely include some side roads.
I agree that winter storms and flood season can play havoc. I said that. What do you guys want?

Other than those events, which are relatively few and far between, such a commute isn't all that bad, which was my entire fricking point.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
school snow closings and regular people needing to go to work are the same? I'll be sure to remember to pass that on to my boss next time.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
I do understand how roads can be worse in the country, I lived in South Central MN for several years and blowing snow can make a difference. I wouldn't say if happens all of the time but light snow and wind can look different in the boonies than it does in the city.

With that said many people commute from St Cloud to the cities or Wisconsin to the west side. It's not ideal but I see no reason why two people can't do it. Just keep in mind that you may want to be prepared to stay in a hotel in Mankato if the roads are too windy and get a roadside assistance plan.

I'd suggest the Shakopee area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul