U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM

20 posts, read 24,166 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family (husband got a new job) from Los Angeles area to Minneapolis. Ideal would be a huge wooded lot with large warm house in biking distance from the University of Minneapolis with a fantastic elementary school right down the street. But I suspect this does not exist. :-)

So where else should we look? for housing or school? We are looking at private elementary schools, but don't see a lot of non-religious options. any suggestions for non-religious private? What are the best public elementary schools? can we get in for next fall given that we don't have an address yet? Also, how long does it take to drive from the Lake Calhoun areas to the University in rush hour traffic?

Thanks!!
Sheri
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,880,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neerihs4 View Post
I am relocating my family (husband got a new job) from Los Angeles area to Minneapolis. Ideal would be a huge wooded lot with large warm house in biking distance from the University of Minneapolis with a fantastic elementary school right down the street. But I suspect this does not exist. :-)

So where else should we look? for housing or school? We are looking at private elementary schools, but don't see a lot of non-religious options. any suggestions for non-religious private? What are the best public elementary schools? can we get in for next fall given that we don't have an address yet? Also, how long does it take to drive from the Lake Calhoun areas to the University in rush hour traffic?

Thanks!!
Sheri
Yeah, you won't get your huge wooded lot anywhere within the core cities.

Blake and Breck are the two best private elementary options in the Cities, but they are both very selective and very expensive. South Minneapolis and Northeast both have pretty well regarded elementary schools within Minneapolis Public. There are also some really good charter school options within the city.

The drive from Lake Calhoun to the U of M I would imagine could be up to 45 minutes in rush hour.

If you want to be within biking distance of the U, Northeast Minneapolis is your best option, or the Como area of St. Paul could work, as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,447,614 times
There are some areas of Roseville that DO have big wooded lots, since it's an older area. A lot of it was developed at a time when people apparently wanted bigger suburban lots; this was before developers realized they could make more money by cramming huge houses into tiny lots.

It's 5-10 minutes to the St Paul campus, from which you can take the free campus connector to Minneapolis.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM

4,960 posts, read 5,013,513 times
What Globe199 said. There's a hidden smaller area of Roseville that has larger lots in woods and newer homes mixed with older and the one road going into it (county rd B) eventually ends, so only people going in and out live there. The hidden area is west of the county rd b and Cleveland ave N in Roseville. Rosedale mall is within a mile of this area too. It's also 1-2 mile bike ride to U of M St Paul campus which has a direct bus system connecting to U of M Mpls campus. The U built a road that only buses and bikes can use without stop signs and stop lights to connect the two campuses. East River Road in St Paul is another spot with large expensive homes on large lots. The president of the U of M gets to live in the large white house on this road.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 24,166 times
Wow! Thank you all so much for this help!!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,460,973 times
Where in LA do you live or do you like? Do you want something with a similar vibe? (obviously not everything translates, but there are some similarities, and it could help us maybe give you some rough comparisons as a point of reference)

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 PM

4,960 posts, read 5,013,513 times
It's Mississippi blvd e in St. Paul not east river road, sorry.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,182,295 times
I thought your post would be about how to cope with snow. Be careful how you drive if you have never driven in snow. As far as the cold get long johns and other warm clothes and you'lll be allright.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 9,271 times
Sounds like you want to be closer to the minneapolis campus of U OF M, not the Saint Paul. Calhoun area is very nice, depending on what part of the neighborhood - but parts are expensive. The nice thing is that you can take the bus in many locations in what we call "Uptown" area to the campus very easily. Private schools are either religious or expensive (or both) but I don't know if that matters to you or not. My daughter and I lived in Minneapolis when she was young. yes, you can find homes with a yard and trees on them, and if you have a decent budget - a wonderful neighborhood. The culture for kids in Minneapolis is wonderful! My daughter did go to a public school system, but there are private ones that are okay as well. My daughter also went to the school of music "McPhail" and she also enjoyed the children's theater. Many opportunities exist for youngster within Minneapolis. On weekends we spent time at the huge library directly within Mpls and there are places that offer other fun activities. The traffic at rush hours is condensed, but there is more then one way to get to the University - Mpls campus.

The other thing I like abt Minneapolis was the choice of public schools. I didn't have to go to the one nearest were I lived if I didn't prefer that school. When they are young, it is much easier. I do not know your budget, but I do know the area well. If you want more help I will try to lend a hand.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 9,271 times
I will post this link to try and give you some "start out" options. Always helps to know the basics first.

[url]http://www1.umn.edu/prod/groups/ur/@pub/@ur/@parent/documents/content/ur_content_340008.pdf[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul