Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

1. HealthcareI have brain cancer, so top-quality health care and moreover, affordable health insurance, is the largest factor in my choice of where to live. Minnesota has some of the most generous state health insurance schemes in the country.

2. Beautiful summers. Although the winter is dreadful, the summers up here in Duluth are absolutely wonderful, especially in August when the mosquitoes have mostly disappeared. Also, the days are shorter in most other locations in the United States - try going on a 8 PM bike ride in Florida any time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Schools close for snow more than cold in these parts. Gets to where buses are so far behind, the day just gets too short. I guess a parent could just keep their child home if they thought the cold was dangerous.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Schools close for snow more than cold in these parts. Gets to where buses are so far behind, the day just gets too short. I guess a parent could just keep their child home if they thought the cold was dangerous.
In outstate MN they get snow days, here our kids have had one "snow" day in 7 years, and that was for dense fog....kind of sad actually, part of the fun of winter is that snowday here and there.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Oh, yeh, snow days were better than candy! Just think, a day off from school and not even sick!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
The body adjusts when you move to a warm climate so you need a heavy coat in temps that once felt nice and warm.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM

67 posts, read 100,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The body adjusts when you move to a warm climate so you need a heavy coat in temps that once felt nice and warm.
Very true. We have been in the Sarasota area since November 1. Back right now for a week and this cold SUCKS! I am not quite 60 and I don't normally complain about a few aches and pains but I am complaining now.

When we got to Florida, 60 degrees felt nice and warm. Three months later, 60 degrees and I'm putting on a light jacket, still with shorts though!

We are planning a permanent move to Florida. Hope to have the home sold by the end of summer and down there by fall. Spent too many cold winters here working outside in construction, done with the cold.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM

256 posts, read 664,658 times
Well, I may not be completely qualified to answer your question, but it isn't the cold that I hate, or even the snow. It's the driving in bad conditions out here in rural MN that sucks. Eventually, you get used to it, but I don't like it. Minnesota makes up for it to me the rest of the year. I love spring, summer and fall. I've traveled a lot, and sometimes you don't realize how good we really have it until you are gone for a while. It's a good place to live.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM

Truth is that winter forces one to change their driving habits. Those who don't end up in ditches or crashes. Some just automatically make the adaptation, many don't. And it is a fact that the two groups mix on the streets and highways, so the cautious type have to be on guard for loss of control in other vehicles. But the body shops probably get to profitability in this time of year.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 AM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
I think the driver's license test here should consist of driving just after a light dusting of snow. Must complete one highway entrance and exit.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I think the driver's license test here should consist of driving just after a light dusting of snow. Must complete one highway entrance and exit.
And mandatory training on how all-way stops work. Seriously, they confuse more people here than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul