Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM

9 posts, read 16,090 times

Advertisements

hello All ,

i am a parent of a 5 and a half year boy who is PDD-NOS. i am moving to richfield (55423)where my husband office would be located . However i am willing to take up an appt in a district which offers good special needs classes.

I have done some research and apparently richfield doesnt offer very good schools . Is Edina or bloomington a better place . I want to be within a 10 mile radius of richfield .

I know lakeville offers the best schools but that will be a bit far for us .

Also would a public school accept him since he will only be eligible in sept for kindergarten ??

Thanks for any help !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I don't know that Lakeville offers the "best schools" there are better schools but Lakeville is very good. What do you need as far as special needs goes? I would look into the Edina schools but getting a special needs child into that district might be difficult. Eagan would be another option and it's in your radius. Bloomington will be fine if your child is very special needs-meaning will be just with the special ed dept all day.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't know that Lakeville offers the "best schools" there are better schools but Lakeville is very good. What do you need as far as special needs goes? I would look into the Edina schools but getting a special needs child into that district might be difficult. Eagan would be another option and it's in your radius. Bloomington will be fine if your child is very special needs-meaning will be just with the special ed dept all day.
Hi Thank u for your input , we are currently in austin , where he attends a special needs class with speech therapy once a week . my son is on the spectrum of the autism disorder , so im basically aiming to get a school which can offer services which would help him get mainstreamed .

When you say it would be difficult to get into that district , what exactly do u mean ? I was thinking of identifying a school and then renting an apartment in that particular county ? wouldnt that work ? I am willing to live in the area where the school is if that makes any sense .

also my son will turn 6 in sept , will that hamper him in getting admission in a special eds class ? in austin we had no problems , he has been in a special eds class for 2 years here .

thanks !

Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I'm not familiar with special needs kids, schools, etc...but my good friends sister started and owns Partners in Excellence | A Life Changing Experience

Just thought I'd throw this out to you.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanam View Post
Hi Thank u for your input , we are currently in austin , where he attends a special needs class with speech therapy once a week . my son is on the spectrum of the autism disorder , so im basically aiming to get a school which can offer services which would help him get mainstreamed .

When you say it would be difficult to get into that district , what exactly do u mean ? I was thinking of identifying a school and then renting an apartment in that particular county ? wouldnt that work ? I am willing to live in the area where the school is if that makes any sense .

also my son will turn 6 in sept , will that hamper him in getting admission in a special eds class ? in austin we had no problems , he has been in a special eds class for 2 years here .

thanks !
I thought you were already in Richfield and were trying to open enroll him. If you are moving to an area, yes, try Edina if you can afford to live there. I would next look to either Eagan or Apple Valley and then maybe Bloomington (west). All of these areas will give you very easy commute to Richfield--assuming that big place on Penn Ave .

Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I thought you were already in Richfield and were trying to open enroll him. If you are moving to an area, yes, try Edina if you can afford to live there. I would next look to either Eagan or Apple Valley and then maybe Bloomington (west). All of these areas will give you very easy commute to Richfield--assuming that big place on Penn Ave .
aww im sorry for the confusion , i just got to know there is a place in MN which is also called Austin .. hehehe no we are moving from austin , tx .

Also i see most of the public schools start with kindergarten , since my son will be elibible for kinder this sept , would getting an admission now in a special eds class be difficult ?

i will look at edina and bloomington thanks .

Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I'm not familiar with special needs kids, schools, etc...but my good friends sister started and owns Partners in Excellence | A Life Changing Experience

Just thought I'd throw this out to you.
thank u so much ...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanam View Post
aww im sorry for the confusion , i just got to know there is a place in MN which is also called Austin .. hehehe no we are moving from austin , tx .

Also i see most of the public schools start with kindergarten , since my son will be elibible for kinder this sept , would getting an admission now in a special eds class be difficult ?

i will look at edina and bloomington thanks .
You aren't going to have issues getting him into kindergarten in your home district. As for the special needs, that information should transfer but they will do their own evaluations as well. You don't enroll in a special ed class, they place you into those classes after school starts. When you go to register him though, you will want to let them know of his situation and hopefully your current school will have sent his file early enough that the school can review that.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
If he has an IEP it will transfer with him. That's not a problem. So if you're two years into the IEP they will do a reevaulation at the three year mark no matter where you're at.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM

thank u golfgal and kebinminn , the question i have is that i am yet to get an appt in that area , so wouldnt i first have to get an appt so that they can admit him and then transfer his file ?

We still havent finalised the school ... but how long does it take for them to transfer file . Yes he does have an iep , will they still do an evaluation ?? whats the time frame am i looking at once i get him admitted in school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul