U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 PM

63,330 posts, read 88,808,481 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a lady at work that formerly lived in Columbia Heights and she stated that it was a rough suburb in terms of crime. Is this true? She did note that there was a golf course/country club that separated the more working class/rougher parts of town from the nicer parts of town. So, I was just wondering if this was an accurate assessment?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,799,296 times
MAYBE rough compared to other suburbs like Lakeville, but certainly not rough, per se -- even for the Twin Cities (the "Brooklyns" -- Park and Center -- are the most notorious suburbs and have seemed to average a crime rate closer to Minneapolis proper, which is fairly high). It's a middle class suburb with moderate density (as far as suburbs go) and a fairly diverse population, but I don't hear a ton about it when it comes to crime except every year or every other year you hear about a homicide in that area (not uncommon for some of the inner-ring suburbs, and certainly less violent than most metros).

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,312,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was talking to a lady at work that formerly lived in Columbia Heights and she stated that it was a rough suburb in terms of crime. Is this true? She did note that there was a golf course/country club that separated the more working class/rougher parts of town from the nicer parts of town. So, I was just wondering if this was an accurate assessment?
A rough suburb? In the Twin Cities? I don't see it.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,296,932 times
I think in the Twin Cities when people say "rougher" they mean blue-collar or working class -- Columbia Heights is not a wealthy suburb. It also has a higher poverty rate than the metro-wide average (and a below-average median income), and I know they were dealing with some problem landlords who were renting to criminal tenants. Still, "rough" seems to be pushing it, and really, I don't know how different it is from other communities in that general area. No, it's not Edina or Wayzata, but I don't think you need fear for your safety if walking around, either.

You can find all the crime rates and detailed information (maps, etc.) online -- look at their police department -- so you can evaluate it for yourself. My guess is that there are probably a few areas where crime tends to be concentrated, which may pull up the total numbers but isn't necessarily relevant unless you are planning on moving into those immediate areas. Spending some time with the crime maps can give you a better handle over the overall trends, assuming that you're asking because you're considering moving there.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM

286 posts, read 615,865 times
Columbia Heights is nothing like the south side of Chicago or some of the windy cities southern suburbs like Harvey, IL or Posen, IL , however as the manufactoring/assembly/warehouse facilities in Columbia Heights and neighboring area's of Fridley Brooklyn Center and northeast Minneapolis have closed, many of Columbia Heights' blue collar residents have left as well.

Moving in their place is definately a lower income, more diverse element. As this has happened, the major daily newspaper reported that the Columbia Heights School District ISD #13 is also tied near the bottom in the metro area with the Brooklyn Center School District in test scores. Brooklyn Center and Columbia Heights School Districts have nearly identical percentages of students: living in poverty, free and reduced lunches, students not speaking any english etc. The population is transient as residents are evicted from the any number of very old apartment complexes or the mobile home park in Hiltop . A lot of displaced residents from the May 2011 North Minneapolis tornado have taken residence in the seedy looking motels along Central Avenue.

Do I feel safe walking alone in Columbia Heights, yes! Is Columbia Heights dangerous, I don't think so! There are better area's of Columbia Heights as you move higher up the river bluffs towards Kordiak Park, Matterhorn Drive and the Stinson Boulevard city limits with New Brighton.

In recent years, many, and I mean many of the retail stores and resturants along the main drag, Central Avenue (Minnesota Highway 65), have closed, been torn down, sit vacant or have been replaced with thrift stores, check cashing places and pawn shops. One of the few remainning Sonic Drive-In restaurants in the Twin Cities is still open on Central Avenue and 49th Avenue; that's one good thing.

Hopefully, Minneapolis will build the modern street car line from 46th street and Nicollet Avenue in South Minneapolis through downtown then up Central Avenue through Northeast Minneapolis up to the intersection of Central Avenue and 37th Avenue which is the border between Minneapolis and Columbia Heights; this I believe could revitalize Columbia Heights.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM

25 posts, read 37,731 times
I've walked central avenue through columbia heights a few times at 2..3 in the morning without thinking twice about it.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,528,221 times
My brother, a middle management type for a major corporation, has lived in Columbia Heights for 25-30 years -- nice but modest brick home, huge yard, quiet neighborhood. His 3 kids, all born and raised there, have moved further out in the burbs, but I know he and his wife still like the neighborhood.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,653,654 times
I think people get spooked by the presence of minorities in Columbia Heights. But I don't think it matches Brooklyn Park for actual crime.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM

413 posts, read 645,866 times
I find Columbia Heights to be a really odd place. In terms of the older, long time residents, it's almost like someone dropped a close knit rural town in the middle of the cities, complete with an active VFW and Lions Club - that sort of thing. That population is old school, blue collar, kind of Polish Catholic, much like an extension of Nordeast Minneapolis, only more insular in a way. There's also a large influx of minorities in the city, which makes for a bit of a clash of cultures. I've been to their summer community festival/fair before, and the overall vibe is really weird. I don't know how to describe it, other than the above. Lots of kind of jolly old beer drinking types, a bunch of Middle Eastern people, and some seriously scary white trash rednecks (I don't often stereotype, but there was a group of people there that I would almost guarantee frequent white power rallies.)

Overall, it's not a bad place, and gets a bad rap. One of the reasons it does, is that it completely surrounds the trailer park town of Hilltop, which for years has had the highest crime rate in the state, mainly because it's so tiny that any crime automatically spikes the statistics. I have a good friend who lives there, and he really likes it. It wouldn't be at the top of my list of towns to live in, but it's okay.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM

3,597 posts, read 4,922,189 times
The city has a large Muslim population which has changed it considerably since I lived there as a child.

The golf course is in Minneapolis near Columbia Heights on Central Avenue, Columbia Golf Club, 3300 Central Ave NE, Minneapolis, MN. unless they were referring to another one...

It was a very nice area, low crime, with strong resale value, however it has a higher population of subsidized housing now. My friend and relative are both planning on moving out of Columbia Heights as soon as the market allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul