U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 AM

120 posts, read 432,684 times

Advertisements

My boudaries are: Xerxes to Upton ave (West to East). Golden Valley Rd to Olson Memorial Pkwy (North to South). Anyone living near there that has an opinion on this pocketed area? I would appreciate any feed back. Thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,989,569 times
Its the best part of N. Mpls, the houses are nicer and better maintained. It isn't Linden Hills, but I think that area's value is halved simply because the addresses have a "N" in them. I would move there, but I wouldn't recommend the area to all people.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Default I'm curious....What people wouldn't you recommend?

Living there?.. I'm very open to living in a racial mixed area. I also want to be smart investor and not have rose colored glasses about living in a "ghetto". I'm also a white male and would be a minority in that area od Willard-Hay.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:21 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,989,569 times
I'm trying to say that the area directly abuts a ghetto. It is pretty safe considering its location, but there is alot of nuisance crime and limited violence. It is diverse (not as diverse as other areas) but you would be a definate minority. For what it is worth, that area is the Gold Coast of N. Mpls., there are other areas to invest in, and others to live in. I would personally be more comfortable on the South side, but if you are smart about city living, you will generally be OK.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:40 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,339,063 times
Its pretty funny that you asked about such a specific location because I know someone whos looking to buy an affordable house and I pinpointed pretty much the exact same section of Willard-Homewood that you have as a good choice.

Go follow the crime reports on cities website. Overall, like stated above...its generally nuisance crimes. Burglary seems to be the only thing that would be a serious deterrant, but if you invest in a decent security system that should not be an issue.

They have a strong neighborhood association as well. Find a block there where the neighbors all know each other and you're golden. I think that neighborhood is a safe bet to invest in. North Minneapolis is not even close to the worst its ever been (1995, 1996) and I do think there has been a lot of newcomers to Willard that are doing a lot to turn it around.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Perhaps I should change my boundaries?

After an extensive Mpls crime report for the last 4 months, It seems that most crime occurs closer to Golden Valley Road as opposed to Olsen Memorial Pkwy. I noted 5+ Narcotic arrests from July1-present at or 1 block from Golden valley rd and Upton/Thomas and several other crime arrests including Robbery of person. Perhaps, I should look further south.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,913,450 times
someone buy that house built in 2000 at 2101 Irving. I have been watching that house for a year now and it's all the way down to $57500. The copper plumbing was stolen from it but come on, fix that up and you have a brand new house you paid under 60k for.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Perhaps I've answered my own question..

Yes, thanks for those that responded. But, I haven't heard from ANYONE that actually lives in this area of N . Minneapolis.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:30 PM

1,820 posts, read 5,233,012 times
Default another person that doesn't live in this neighborhood

but I know some people that do (and like it) and it's a short drive from my neighborhood on the Grand Rounds system. you're right about Golden Valley Road, although a lot of the problems are further east from what you specified, this road tends to have quite a concentration of crime happening in recent years and as you drive from golden valley into minneapolis on this road the difference is stark. If looking in Willard- Homewood there are beautiful homes and beautiful tree-lined streets in this neighborhood esp close by Theo Wirth Parkway and it might not be a bad idea to look in the southern section of Willard and/or Harrison as well to get closer to Bryn Mawr - The Bryn Mawr neighborhood is pretty much known for its exclusivity, wealthy residents, and (exclusive) high performance schools (as well as treed/ hilly roads w/out curb and gutter), so proximity to that neighborhood doesn't hurt either(housing values do an insane jump up once you step foot in Bryn Mawr). My suggestion, if at all possible, is to spend a weekend driving around the neighborhoods to get an in-person feel for them. Start in the Parkway areas around Theo Wirth and then keep going North on the Parkway until you get to Victory Memorial Parkway (and/or Webber-Camden parkway), there's a lot of great neighborhoods that all have their own individual feels to them, see what feels best/ more like home and/or a sound investment.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:39 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,339,063 times
Harrison has been good since I moved here. Im just a few houses shy of Bryn Mawr and I think a lot of the safeness has crept its way north. The cut off used to be the bridges that separated the two neighborhoods but it has seen a vast improvement in the past seven or eight years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul