Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean to imply that you were a snob; nothing in your posts suggested that you were. I apologize if I sent that impression. (I thought GG's references to Richfield's "blue-collar vibe" as being a negative came off as snobby, and I was referring to that. Perhaps she didn't mean it to come across that way and I over-reacted. I personally like that Richfield is pretty low-key; it's the kind of place where you can shake hands with the mayor at the local festivals, and where people don't judge you based on your job.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM

20 posts, read 48,932 times
Fair enough, thank you for that apology....accepted and hand-shake offered. As a specific point of reference, try viewing Google Street view for 1820 24th Street, Kenosha, Wisconsin. While this isn't my house, I live less than 1 block from here. My take on living here after 11 years, terrific neighbors (sometimes a bit too nosy for my liking), mostly low crime (some exceptions) but houses here are all too small and often too close to each other. Hope these types of specifics help.

Last edited by HughBetcha; 02-26-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
I've lived in the Twin Cities for 40 years. Never in Richfield. But in 40 years, I've gone through almost every part of the city. I wouldnt agree with any generalization. There are parts that are very, very nice. There are parts that verge on slummy without being a slum. So many business amenities very close. Smack up against the airport. As close to downtown Minneapolis as you can get without actually living IN Minneapolis. Seems to me that Eagan, Bloomington, and Richfield would be close contenders. Just have to take time to look at a few neighborhoods. I think if the airport is important, equal time should be given to each of these communities that surround the airport.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I've lived in Eagan. If you end up moving there just don't expect to be in an area where you'll be able to take pleasant walks to a local coffee shop or cafe. It's a modern car-dependent suburb and as a result, it isn't walkable by any reasonable person's standards.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I've lived in Eagan. If you end up moving there just don't expect to be in an area where you'll be able to take pleasant walks to a local coffee shop or cafe. It's a modern car-dependent suburb and as a result, it isn't walkable by any reasonable person's standards.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM

464 posts, read 803,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Considering that I live in Eagan and I have done that, I'm going to have to take issue with your assertion. It depends where you live.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM

20 posts, read 48,932 times
Thanks for your input all. Tomorrow is the day that (after work) my wife and I will drive up and do our exploring on Saturday. Our list of places will include (in no particular order): Eagan, Apple Valley, Richfield, Edina, Stillwater, White Bear Lake and Roseville. As expected not every option here gives us everything on our list, but we think (from what we're read and heard) that each offers enough possible things from the list to make them worth visiting. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM

191 posts, read 380,488 times
Street parking is great. For one thing, street parking is convenient, and it effectively reduces the width of the road resulting in slower traffic. A lot of the suburbs prohibit street parking during the night. Since nobody parks on the streets then, cars fly down them (due to the wider effective width), and residents complain about speed. People tend to drive the geography of the road, not the speed limit. So restricting overnight parking is just dumbassery there. Oh and get this...in the suburbs if you have guests park overnight, you have to call the police and tell them that! (Otherwise the police will ticket the cars!) What a joke.

A lot of Bloomington and Richfield is pretty ugly looking. I don't know why this is the case. Only some parts have sidewalks, and they're pretty spread out anyway so it's unlikely you'll walk or use transit. You can get relatively inexpensive property there though.

Also there is misconception about the cities being noisy and all that B.S. Our neighborhood in Mpls has less traffic and noise than many suburbs I've lived in, thanks to the street grid system, yet people persist this bogus myth that Sububs = Quiet and City = Loud. We also have plenty of room for guests to park when we have parties, and no need to shuffle cars around.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Right

Read the OP......
If Richfield is a dump as you said, then who should live there?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't know if the OP wants to take public transportation or not, but in defense of Richfield, the public transit is actually not too bad; there's a high-frequency route that runs every 10 or 15 minutes up 66th, for example, which would actually make a really easy way to get to the airport. Some parts of Richfield have far better bus service than my current neighborhood in Minneapolis. Parts of Bloomington have decent service, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul