Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,316,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Considering that I live in Eagan and I have done that, I'm going to have to take issue with your assertion. It depends where you live.
Certainly that is the case. I lived near Pilot Knob and Diffley and there is nowhere to walk near there. I can't think of any areas there where I would enjoy walking to local businesses though. When I think of Eagan I think of places like the town center area, which are only accessed by car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,456 times
Just about anywhere in South Minneapolis fits all of your MUSTS and WANTS (there are certain sections of both Powderhorn and Phillips that some members of this forum might protest about). If you live close to the Light Rail, you'll never have to pay to park at the airport again.

The Midtown Greenway is amazing, probably one of my favorite pieces of infrastructure in the world.

Minneapolis is pretty liberal, but people are generally pretty respectful of everyone's views and lifestyles.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,945 times
Smile New Location

I have lived in Minneapolis most of my life and I know they neighborhoods and suburbs well. You may want to look in the area of West Bloomington or Saint Louis Park. You are close enough to the cities, freeways, shops, and airport, yet away from high crime areas. Both areas are nice, but may be diffacult to find a house in that price range. It would be worth the search though.

Good Luck and welcome to MSP!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM

20 posts, read 48,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
Just about anywhere in South Minneapolis fits all of your MUSTS and WANTS (there are certain sections of both Powderhorn and Phillips that some members of this forum might protest about). If you live close to the Light Rail, you'll never have to pay to park at the airport again.

The Midtown Greenway is amazing, probably one of my favorite pieces of infrastructure in the world.

Minneapolis is pretty liberal, but people are generally pretty respectful of everyone's views and lifestyles.
Thanks for your input Scheherezade. In south Minneapolis, for those regions that are within walking distance to the Light Rail, which are known to be the safer areas (without being ridiculously expensive)? Our trip up there this past weekend proved inconclusive so we're still trying to keep an open mind on our options.

Our two definite must have things are: being handy to the airport (light rail is a very interesting option) combined with living in a low crime area. The other things are more flexible as to where they are on our 'must' or 'nice to have' lists.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,034,898 times
I would recommend Longfellow or Seward but the homes might be too close together.

55406 - Google Maps

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBetcha View Post
Thanks for your input Scheherezade. In south Minneapolis, for those regions that are within walking distance to the Light Rail, which are known to be the safer areas (without being ridiculously expensive)? Our trip up there this past weekend proved inconclusive so we're still trying to keep an open mind on our options.

Our two definite must have things are: being handy to the airport (light rail is a very interesting option) combined with living in a low crime area. The other things are more flexible as to where they are on our 'must' or 'nice to have' lists.
The light rail does not move within the nicer neighborhoods and to be "close" to the light rail in a nicer neighborhood puts you farther away from the rail then you would be in Eagan, walking to the coffee shops, etc. that one poster mentioned---even though he thinks you can only drive there . There are large, wide walking paths from where he lived to these coffee shops, restaurants, etc. It's a myth that you need to live in Minneapolis to find all this.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 AM

464 posts, read 800,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The light rail does not move within the nicer neighborhoods and to be "close" to the light rail in a nicer neighborhood puts you farther away from the rail then you would be in Eagan, walking to the coffee shops, etc. that one poster mentioned---even though he thinks you can only drive there . There are large, wide walking paths from where he lived to these coffee shops, restaurants, etc. It's a myth that you need to live in Minneapolis to find all this.
In fairness to that poster, he did mention that he lived around Diffley and Pilot Knob, which doesn't have much there aside from a gas station and a few other random businesses in that dinky little shopping plaza. While it is easy to walk to things from there in that there are plenty of paths, it also would be quite a hike.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
In fairness to that poster, he did mention that he lived around Diffley and Pilot Knob, which doesn't have much there aside from a gas station and a few other random businesses in that dinky little shopping plaza. While it is easy to walk to things from there in that there are plenty of paths, it also would be quite a hike.
It's a mile and a half, a distance people in Minneapolis don't seem to have issues with walking .

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,018,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That's just not true. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods near the light rail, especially those to the east. A lot of the Longfellow communities (to the east) and Nokomis (to the west of the light rail) are safe places. The area around 46th Street station, for instance, has good neighborhoods on both sides of the light rail line, isn't far from basic stores, and has Lake Hiawatha, Minnehaha Creek, and the Minnehaha Falls all in the area for recreation and beauty.

If they can find a house they like in that area, then they'll also have a regular, cheap way to get to the airport in under 10 minutes...the light rail.

It's good to keep their options open.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,668,691 times
What?! Of course there are nice neighborhoods in Minneapolis near the light rail! I particularly enjoy the area by the 46th Street Station. Very convenient to the river! And you'd be a whole lot closer than a mile and a half to coffee shops.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 03-06-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul