U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM

90 posts, read 195,185 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I have been to Minneapolis, thinking of actually coming back and not sure if the area I use to live in and know are good neighborhoods now. Knowing everything changes and sometimes not for the best, a little help would be nice.

Looking to move around Lowry Hill East/Uptown area. I like those areas because they are close to the lakes and a lot going on, at least 25 years ago there was.

We have been thinking of Portland, ME however, lack of jobs and high price apartments are a bit of a concern for us.

As I remember the city was very GLBT friendly, is it still a GLBT friendly city? I was reading about the transgendered woman killed in her apartment which would be a great concern for me. I'm a very laid back, private person and would hope to live a calm peaceful life there as I did 25 years ago.

Any advice would be welcome as we will be making our move for April, Portland is not out, just looking for a back up.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,678,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
It's been a while since I have been to Minneapolis, thinking of actually coming back and not sure if the area I use to live in and know are good neighborhoods now. Knowing everything changes and sometimes not for the best, a little help would be nice.

Looking to move around Lowry Hill East/Uptown area. I like those areas because they are close to the lakes and a lot going on, at least 25 years ago there was.
You would notice that that area has "gentrified" to some extent, and "yuppified." There are numerous apartment projects going up in Uptown right now. A lot of the punk anarchists and hippies have been pushed out by the higher rents, although a few of the old, institutional Uptown establishments remain (Ragstock, the Lagoon theater, etc.)

Quote:
We have been thinking of Portland, ME however, lack of jobs and high price apartments are a bit of a concern for us.

As I remember the city was very GLBT friendly, is it still a GLBT friendly city? I was reading about the transgendered woman killed in her apartment which would be a great concern for me. I'm a very laid back, private person and would hope to live a calm peaceful life there as I did 25 years ago.
It is supposedly very LGBT friendly. I don't know from personal experience, but it is still very much a "live and let live" city, and friends of mine-- some of them from other parts of the country-- used to be very comfortable in Minneapolis, and had little trouble making friends within and outside of the LGBT community.

Some of the old standby's as far as LGBT friendly nightlife still remain-- I'm guessing they were around 25 years ago when you left. The 90's, or the Minneapolis Eagle, for instance. The area you are looking at-- Lowry Hill East-- remains its character as a residential "Gayborhood." Although the North Loop, Nordeast, Linden Hills, Whittier, and even Seward and Powderhorn are now very attractive for young, LGBT professionals, as well.

If you are talking about the transgendered woman that I am thinking of, keep in mind that-- if I remember the case correctly-- she was not murdered randomly. Again, if I remember the case, she was offering up "services" on Craigslist, and the "client" came to her apartment, robbed her, and murdered her. No less tragic, and certainly could have been motivated by her status as transgendered. But by no means the norm for Minneapolis....there are a lot of places in the US where I would imagine the threat of LGBT hate crimes is more prevalent.

Quote:
Any advice would be welcome as we will be making our move for April, Portland is not out, just looking for a back up.

Thanks
Anybody on this board could offer you great insights about changes here, especially if you have more specific questions. Off the top of my head, some other general things that you'd notice that have changed since I was a kid (approximately the time period you are talking about):

1.) The Mill District has received significant investment, and is a safe and attractive neighborhood now. Far fewer botched drug deals down by the railroad tracks nowadays.
2.) Eat Street is an actual dining destination, now. Black Forest, Quang, and Pancho Villa all remain, but they have been joined by a slew of other affordable ethnic restaurants.
3.) The city is much more racially and ethnically diverse in general, now. Cedar-Riverside is now the hub of Somali life in the city, as opposed to being sort of the student slum you might remember it as. Midtown is much safer, although still up-and-coming-- it is lined with Mexican restaurants and stores now, and the old Sears Warehouse has been renovated and now houses a "market" on its ground floor.
4.) Parts of the Northside are significantly safer than you probably remember, and unfortunately other parts are probably significantly worse. Victory and Bryn Mawr have seen their fair shares of investment, however parts of Jordan and Cleveland are on a downhill slide since the mortgage crisis set in.
5.) There is lightrail, now....and a city-wide bikeshare program. And, the city has made good progress in encouraging walkable development, especially in its residential neighborhoods on the Southside.
6.) Nordeast has gone from being largely blue-collar, white-ethnic, to being dominated by artists, students, and recent immigrants from India and parts of the Arab world. Its traditional character is maintained through establishments like Nyes, Kramarczuks, and Surdyks. No more Sunday brunch at the little Ukrainian church up there, though, unfortunately.
7.) Better restaurant scene in general-- not a steak and potato town anymore.
8.) Other big tangibles-- new buildings, particularly downtown. New sports venues for the Twins, Gophers football, and the Vikings are getting a new stadium. NBA and NHL are both back in town, probably for good.

There's so much more. The transformation has been pretty big, even within the past 15 years, let alone past 25. It is just as eccentric and avant garde as I think it's ever been, but we are dangerously close to no longer flying under the radar among big American cities with that type of scene, and I sometimes wonder whether that is a good or bad thing.

Good luck with your decision, and keep us poster!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,678,369 times
Also, just noticed you are coming there from Pittsburgh. That's where I live now!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM

10,630 posts, read 24,295,406 times
Yes, VERY GLBT friendly. Especially Uptown. Uptown and Hennepin look different in some ways than they did 25 years ago. I'll focus on that area. Some big changes:
1) The Midtown Greenway. They rerouted the trains in the 29th St. trench, took up the tracks, and converted it into a bike "highway." Riders increase every year. Biking is REALLY big.
2) Calhoun Square: people still love to hate it, and love to hate the "gentrification" of Uptown. Really, the stuff you hear now isn't all that much different than what you would have heard 25 years ago. Same old complaints. I don't think it's so drastically different. But it will look a lot different now, as they gave the place a major overhaul and reconfigured the inside. And Figlio went out recently.
3) Lots of new housing along the Greenway. Most of the old industrial businesses have gone, and there have been lots of upscale apartments (and some townhouses) built along the corridor. This extends all the way over to Lyndale; Lyn-Lake has really seen a lot of change, too, and I think one could argue that the Lyn-Lake area has seen a lot more gentrification in this time period than did the core part of Uptown.
4) Walker Library was just torn down; they're building a new one on the same spot, but for now it's a hole.
5) The old McDonalds (the punk central) one was replaced with a new one; this may already have happened when you were living here, can't remember how long ago that was.

Other than that, some old businesses have gone, some new ones have come in. Magers and Quinn is a nice addition to the neighborhood; it's the largest independent bookstore in the Twin Cities, and is located between Lake and 31st along Hennepin across from Calhoun Square (in the old Clothesline building). Borders is obviously out, and unfortunately Orr is out too. But M&Q is great! Traffic seems to be a lot worse, with a lot more traffic heading down Hennepin and out towards St. Louis Park. That means that the buses are slower than ever, as they sit in traffic. But you can get most of what you need in the neighborhood and it's still very walkable.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Thank you for the input you guys, this helps a lot.

So all the punkers left? LOL, I was one of them back in the day, use to love to hit Rocky Horror on the weekends.

Been on Zillow today looking around and seen some decent apartments that are not too bad. How is Loring Park these days? I noticed a couple there that look good as well, one is a building I use to live in. I use to love to feed the squirrels in the park, they were so friendly, crawl right up your leg of a piece of popcorn or peanut.

Do they still plow the lakes in the winter for skating? That was always fun.... cold but fun. LOL

srsmn - how do you like Pittsburgh? I love the food here but unfortunately, work here for me has been quite the disappointment. I'm a cosmetologist, I got my license in AZ and they will not let me get an endorsement here without re-testing. Not worth it for me to spend the money to re-test here so I have been basically unemployed for the past 2 years as this city is not very TG friendly.... at least not for finding work. Angelo's Pizza on Liberty in Bloomfield has, IMO, the best pizza this city has to offer.

One last thing I can think of at the moment, I was looking at bus passes and their price. What is the distance for the 3 levels? I also noticed that the 2 lower priced ones say Not During Rush Hour.... How does that work?

Thanks again, I appreciate the information.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,798,316 times
Plow the lakes? They do/did this? I don't remember that at all (lived in Minneapolis mostly until 2000, then again from 2005 to 2011).

Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM

1,602 posts, read 2,966,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Plow the lakes? They do/did this? I don't remember that at all (lived in Minneapolis mostly until 2000, then again from 2005 to 2011).
They plow the northern part of Lake of the Isles for ice skating. They used to plow a portion of Lake Harriet (near the Bandshell) for skating too, but I think they stopped that a few years ago.

I think Loring Park has gotten busier in the past few decades. the neighborhood (through the old NRP program) reinvested significant $ to upgrade the park, plus several new apartment developments have been completed in the area. However, the neighborhood still has a large mix of residents, due to the wide range of apt units available for rent.

The other entries above have summarized the changes well. There's more housing in and around downtown, plus more restaurants throughout the city. Although St. anthony Main and Riverplace used to be big dining and nightlife destinations 25 years ago, they're quieter now. However, East Hennepin has really been improved with interesting restaurants and even a few boutiques. Like all cities, Mpls lost some of its hometown pride when Daytons becameMarshall Fields and, especially, when MF became Macy's. Also, many of my favorite record/cd shops have closed (Oarfolkjokeopus, Wax Museum, Northen Lights, Let It Be, but thankfully ElectricFetus is still around!) as have many bookshops (Thanks Amazon!), but restaurantsare better and there are interesting specialty shops like teashops that didn't exist back in the '80s.

On the whole, the city

Last edited by MplsTodd; 02-24-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,880,418 times
There's a nice story about a transgendered man ordained at Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis. He plans to start a branch of the North American Old Catholic Church.

The story is here in the StarTribune.

I know that there are AA/NA meetings for transgendered people and some other social and health services geared toward the community. Best wishes!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I believe I left in 1987, they would plow Lake of the Isles with skating paths around the lake, put in a hockey area, it was real nice.

In the summer, there were canoe rentals available at Lake Calhoun where you could canoe all three of the connected lakes.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
There's a nice story about a transgendered man ordained at Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis. He plans to start a branch of the North American Old Catholic Church.

The story is here in the StarTribune.

I know that there are AA/NA meetings for transgendered people and some other social and health services geared toward the community. Best wishes!
I think I read something about that during a google search, I was surprised and pleased at the same time. It's nice to see a positive move like that.

Thank you for the best wishes Still torn between Minneapolis and Portland only because I love the ocean. But with all the lakes, it's the next best thing. And rents are much more reasonable there... I was in Portland last month and it was a very expensive city, beautiful, but expensive. I had a great time when I lived there, just worried about the old saying, "You can never go home again". LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or