U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,701 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a house in Longfellow for my family (2 little kids). The problem is that the house I love is just one block off of Minnehaha Avenue. I'd like to be further east, but I can't find a house. Does anyone have any thoughts on living so close to Minnehaha--crime, property value, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM

5,147 posts, read 6,953,119 times
I live in Longfellow. What is the nearest intersection?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM

59 posts, read 97,086 times
MsRachD,

Thanks for your post. Are you already in Minnesota or moving here from out of state?

Your best bet is to look at the Minneapolis Crime Statistics for Longfellow. Here's the website - Crime Statistics & Reports - City of Minneapolis. What's your price range? What kind of house are you looking for?

There are many wonderful, safe, and family-friendly areas in Minneapolis that we can help direct you to. If you're set on Longfellow, probably a good idea to see if you can find a place with a more neighborhoody, safe feel for your kids than being right off of Minnehaha Avenue.

You'll find another place you love, I promise! Great homes come on the market every day.

Best,

Michael

Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,701 times
It is on 33rd and 30th.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM

Frankly, if you don't live ON Minnehaha, I don't think you'll be seeing that much crime.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM

191 posts, read 352,807 times
Personally I wouldn't sweat it, and you might want to get in now before prices go up. We know a couple with kids who bought right off of Minnehaha and they love it. Longfellow is really improving by leaps and bounds. A lot of new stuff is going in on East Lake too. Seems like the neighborhood is turning from a industrial area into an upscale residential area. The purina dog chow factory was razed and new luxury condos have gone in. Blue door pub opened, and two restaurants are opening soon on E Lake in formerly abandoned buildings. There are a some abandoned commercial properties on Minnehaha but that will likely change with the increased density thanks to the new condos. Of course the area by the river has nice homes and demand seems to be high throughout S Mpls. Also this area has the LRT, Minnehaha park, and the two bridges to Saint Paul...awesome stuff!!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM

Yeh, true, tons of activity. The local citizen's group is pretty active. Last general membership meeting was very well attended. Some parts are definitely a little better, some a little worse, but all of it more desirable than the majority of neighborhoods south of downtown.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM

10,076 posts, read 14,789,548 times
I really like that part of the neighborhood. You're within a short walking distance from a great bike shop, cafe, Harriet Island Brewery and several decent restaurants.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Decades ago, when Minnehaha was a little different, I lived on the avenue, and I could walk to most of what I wanted. Well, if you live close, you have the same privilege. There is just so much within easy reach.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 13,391 times
Longfellow is great for raising a family; I lived there for three years. It's a little sleepy for my tastes, so I spent more time in Uptown with friends. However, I NEVER felt unsafe inside my own little neighborhood bike bubble (Lake street to the north, river to the east, and Minnehaha to the west). When I told my college friends I lived near East Lake, they thought it was some sort of hood. I wouldn't hesitate to walk 18 blocks roundtrip to Rainbow (crossing both Lake and Minnehaha) at 10pm by myself. How about going to the Riverview theater and then hitting up the Wine Bar? I miss it.

The closer you live to the light rail the easier it will be for you to get downtown for work or sporting events (how about three pro teams on the same train line?) It's also way easier to fly (no cabs or parking at the airport). I lived on 33rd ave / 32nd st. It's extremely quiet even a few blocks off of Lake Street (albeit the occasional flight noise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul