Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You'll be fine. Although though it's very annoying to pull out the papers. How come Minnesota is the last of the states to issue driver's licenses right there.
The material we use for our driver's licenses apparently cannot be printed on the spot. If I recall correctly, ours are made of a special type of "synthetic paper" rather than plastic. This makes them harder to counterfeit, but it means you have to wait!

I think some states are actually moving toward our system. I was told Wisconsin is updating their IDs and that they now have to wait for them as well (at least according to my friends who are still Wisconsin residents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
You'll never get in without a valid ID that has a picture.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
The material we use for our driver's licenses apparently cannot be printed on the spot. If I recall correctly, ours are made of a special type of "synthetic paper" rather than plastic. This makes them harder to counterfeit, but it means you have to wait!

I think some states are actually moving toward our system. I was told Wisconsin is updating their IDs and that they now have to wait for them as well (at least according to my friends who are still Wisconsin residents).
Oh, that still makes no sense to me. Like some dilligently working elves are sitting in a sweat shop working 'round the clock to get my ID prepared. I could see a lag time, but getting my most recent ID took nearly 3 weeks in the mail.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Oh, that still makes no sense to me. Like some dilligently working elves are sitting in a sweat shop working 'round the clock to get my ID prepared. I could see a lag time, but getting my most recent ID took nearly 3 weeks in the mail.
Vehicle Titles were backed up 2-3 months when I bought a car a few months back... or you could pay an extra $20 to get it moved to the front of the line and processed within 3 days.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 779 times
Hey everyone I turn 21 in three months and I still have a perment license that says under 21 still working on getting my actual driving license after this snow is gone my question is would I have to go renew my perment or get a ID? If anyone can help me out on what I should do would be really nice! Thank you!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:00 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Whats a permant license? Do you mean a learners permit?

Well, whatever, I dont think it matters. Weather you have that, a real license, or just a straight up ID it wil stilll say "under 21" on it if you are under 21. Weather to advance to the next level or not is up to you (and/or maybe your parents).

If it were me, I'd want my real license as soon as possible and I'd do whatever I needed to do in order to get it, which means I would have gone down and passed that test and gotten my license 5 years ago.

Speaking of 5 years ago, this thread is 5 years old. I wonder how it worked out for the original poster.

I once got kicked out of a bar when I was 22 and completely legal with a completely legit ID. It was at "The Mermaid" in Moundsview. The bartender thought I looked young so they asked for my ID. I showed it to him and he served me. Then when I was about 1/2 way done with my drink the bouncer came and got me and told me to leave my drink on the bar and to follow him. He brought me to a quiet table in the dining area and told me they thought I was using someone else's License and said they called the cops and that I had to sit there and wait for them.

Well, the cops showed up and asked for my ID. I gave it to them, they looked at it and then quizzed me on my name and address and other stuff. I passed the test, the cop said "Yep, looks like you're telling the truth, but the bar wants you out of here, so youre going to have to leave". I said "but I haven't done anything wrong". Cop said "sorry, there's nothing I can do, if they want you out of here, you need to go". So that was it. I didn't even get to finish the drink that I legally paid for and should have been entitled to.

That happened almost 20 years ago and it still pisses me off to this day. The Mermaid sucks, (and I'm getting old) lol.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
ACTUALLY!!!! MOST BARS WILL NOT SERVE TO A CLIPPED LICENSE. If you have paperwork as well, then they may. But its as simple as this.....

Is your current license clipped? NOt Valid...
Do you have the yellow temp? Then its all valid

If you simply have an "under 21" color license, and it isn't clipped then it is still a valid ID until it Expires. If it expires on your 21st BDAY then you need to get a valid form of ID.

Most bars will not accept an expired license.... we just went through this with my brother. He we denied service because his license was 2 days expired.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM

150 posts, read 143,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
....Most bars will not accept an expired license.... we just went through this with my brother. He we denied service because his license was 2 days expired.
Wow ... It is interesting that bars will not serve people with an expired driver's license ... the birth date was already confirmed when the license was valid and it does not change when the ID expires

Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM

332 posts, read 260,191 times
Quote:
Hey everyone I turn 21 in three months and I still have a perment license that says under 21 still working on getting my actual driving license after this snow is gone my question is would I have to go renew my perment or get a ID? If anyone can help me out on what I should do would be really nice! Thank you!
I went out for a drink on my 21st birthday and when I presented my license the bartender asked me what time of the day I was born. When I told her I didn't know/remember, I wasn't served. Went to another bar and they cracked a beer without any problems... just be prepared for weird questions like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul