Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,356 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm a 17-year old boy from Northern Europe. A few days ago my parents proposed me an offer to spend the summer of 2013 in Bloomington. I'd stay at my relatives', who lives alone and is pretty old. I would have to help him with some basic chores, and spend rest of the time exploring and enjoying the life in the states. Me and my family visited her once 1,5 years ago. She lives in a medium-sized house in a quiet neighborhood. I thought the environment looked nice and rather calm. I think this is a great oppurtunity, but I have a few concerns. Is there anything to do over there, for someone at my age? I don't know anybody from there. I am very social etc., but I'm still a little worried. What are some places I should visit, or activities I should do, in order to make new friends? (I do realize the last question sounds a bit narrow-minded.) In general, I would like to have some tips from locals/people who have lived in MN.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Do you play any sports, an instrument or anything like that? You could join a summer rec team or community band/orchestra to meet people. Depending on how much you need to be home for you relative, maybe a job at Valleyfair (amusement park) would be a way to get out and be social. They are probably winding up their hiring for the summer so get an application in soon if that is appealing to you.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Oh yeah, the possiblity of playing sports crossed my mind too. But I don't think I'm good enough at anything specific. I used to play basketball, but right now I just work out. I'm quite athletic and fit, I just haven't focused on a certain game/sport. Who knows, maybe I'll have the chance to take up something new..The amusement park job sounds great too. I'll look into that. Thanks a lot for your input, I got a few new ideas and a lot of inspiration!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
Getting a job is likely difficult for someone coming on a visitor's visa for the summer. I know when I went abroad I was strictly prohibited from working unless I had a specific study/work visa (and this was easier to get if I was staying for more than 6 months). I'm sure the United States has a similar system. But even if the OP does plan to work somehow, Valley Fair might be difficult as they likely will not be able to drive, nor have regular access to an automobile of their own.

To the OP: What would you like to get out of this experience? Do you know anybody other than your relative you'll be staying with? What activities do you like to do back home?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM

No, unfortunately I don't know anyone else. Over here I go out with friends, spend time on the computer, go swimming when it's warm enough, work out etc. Oh, I also forgot I attend acting classes. Acting has been my love and number 1 hobby for a long time. I'd just like to make new friends, have a great time and not die of boredom.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,134 times
You should definitely see about summer acting camps or courses at a local community center or community college. I'm sure there are some productions that would be open to having someone new from another country come in! It would also be a great way to make new friends.

We have lots of lakes, walking and biking trails, and fitness centers. So you could definitely go swimming and work out as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
You could join a penpal site, there are people from around the world on the sites and most are just interested in making new friends. You might be able to develop some friendships before you come over with some local young people. I think that would be helpful.

If your relatives attend a church, you could meet younger people that way. You could contact the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce and tell them of your plans, they may have kids your age, or have friends and family that could introduce you around town. It would be good to make some contacts before you get to town. Good luck.

InterPals Penpals :: Make friends online and find free pen pals from around the world!

Welcome to PenPal World

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkks30 View Post
Oh yeah, the possiblity of playing sports crossed my mind too. But I don't think I'm good enough at anything specific. I used to play basketball, but right now I just work out. I'm quite athletic and fit, I just haven't focused on a certain game/sport. Who knows, maybe I'll have the chance to take up something new..The amusement park job sounds great too. I'll look into that. Thanks a lot for your input, I got a few new ideas and a lot of inspiration!
Rec leagues are just for people like you--like to play but aren't top players. There are community theaters all over the place where you could try out for a play. Even if you get a small part, it would be a way to get to know people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Getting a job is likely difficult for someone coming on a visitor's visa for the summer. I know when I went abroad I was strictly prohibited from working unless I had a specific study/work visa (and this was easier to get if I was staying for more than 6 months). I'm sure the United States has a similar system. But even if the OP does plan to work somehow, Valley Fair might be difficult as they likely will not be able to drive, nor have regular access to an automobile of their own.

To the OP: What would you like to get out of this experience? Do you know anybody other than your relative you'll be staying with? What activities do you like to do back home?
Valleyfair hires a LOT of foreign people so it might not be all that hard which is why I suggested it. Transportation could be an issue but maybe not?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
I suggest having a bicycle and hitting the bike trails- you can get around to so many nice areas of the Twin Cities if you enjoy biking and don't have a car ex. from Bloomington you can get out to Lake Minnetonka, the Minnesota River Valley, Downtowns Mpls and St. Paul, Midtown, basically anywhere - it will take all summer to explore the nice trails.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
Here's some links for you to look at for Youth Activities in or near Bloomington. Have a great and fun summer!

Theater | Art Classes | Exhibitions | Bloomington, MN (Bloomington Theatre and Art Center)

Summer Camps for Youth and Teens

Summer is just around the corner. It's not too early to begin planning..
BTAC offers a variety of art and theater 5-day camps throughout the summer.
[RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

https://www.ymcatwincities.org/locat...outhdale_ymca/ (nearby to Bloomington)

https://bloomingtonyouth.ngin.com/

Bloomington United for Youth Coffee House

www.bloomingtonyouth.org/

Creekside Community Center
9801 Penn Ave. S

Bloomington United for Youth (BUY) is collaborating with Human Services to bring its teen program to Creekside Community Center.

Bloomington
Has the calendar of events on for the city of Bloomington-

• Summer Spectrum Catalog: Page 30 Skateboarding Camp July 22-26
  • Summer Resource Guide: Page G Vertical Endeavors Indoor Climbing Facility Resident Fee: $21.50
  • Summer Resource Guide: Page F Lap Swim Mon - Fri 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Check out what's new for 2013 in the Summer Spectrum catalog:
Summer Spectrum 2013 catalog

Last edited by back2M; 03-08-2013 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul