Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM

118 posts, read 316,465 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have a job offer pending in Elk River that would be a good career move for me. My wife is almost at the point where she is willing to make the move but she wants to move to Eagan school district 196. We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. The 4 year old currently is getting PT, OT, ST and attends preschool where we live in Westchester county, NY. She has contacted the school district and is pretty happy in what they can offer our daughter.

The big concern I have is the commute from Eagan to Elk River. Google maps indicates 50 miles one way and ~1 hour. Is this an over estimation of how long it will take? Is there another school district that is closer that would be almost as good. I did see Plymouth mentioned in a couple of posts. How does that area compare. Any information is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 AM

987 posts, read 3,818,370 times
I'd describe that commute as stuck in hell behind a windshield.

Consider the Osseo School District.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
You do NOT want to make that commute. It would be at least and hour and a half on a good day. District 196 is a great district, tops in the state, but there are many districts in the metro that are just as good. You will find that MN is different than most areas where pretty much every district is going to offer what you need and have a great educational system. We also have a very unique program called ECFE, Early Childhood Family Education. It is for families with kids ages birth to kindergarten.

I would concentrate your search on the northern side of the metro. I would stay away from the Anoka/Hennepin district as they are having major, major budget issues. Mounds View is another excellent district. Plymouth is good but if you can, get into the Hopkins part of that town. If you want a smaller town, Monticello is a good choice too.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Thank you for the localized information. This is a great help. I will look into Mounds View and Osseo districts and the ECFE program. That commute is out of the question at an hour and a half.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:38 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I would look in the Minnetonka, Wayzata and Hopkins area. Relatively convenient to Elk River, close to the city, near Lake Minnetonka. A richer area of the metro with top notch schools and amenities. Still not the best commute, but worth it over the newer suburbs up I-94.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

113 posts, read 549,864 times
Elk River is a nice community and has been growing and improving greatly over the past few years. I'm not sure what you have heard negative about the school district. I live in the Osseo district and my friends have been happy with the elementary schools. Most of the school districts in the twin cities are rated excellent -- I think it more matters the teacher your child receives more than anything.

However, I homeschool my kids so take my school opinions with that in mind

I would definately look in the NW suburbs and stay on the North side of 694 if you want a commute you can live with.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM

It has been almost a year since I moved my family from NY to MN. We ended up renting in Maple Grove. We are very happy with the school and daycare our children attend. I work from Elk River a couple days a week and the rest of the time I work in the Maple Grove office. We are enjoying the relatively mild winter days by sledding and building snow men. The parks in this state are beautiful and we spent all summer enjoying them.

I agree that Elk River is a nice area. Any place that has a Jimmy Johns and a Caribou close to each other is good in my book.

Thank you all again for the information.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,269 times
Thanks for the Update! It's always nice to find out what happened.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM

I have another update. After 4 and 1/2 years in Maple Grove, MN I got a great job offer to work in lower Manhattan. We moved to Montclair, NJ in late August so I could have a reasonable commute. The job is great and we live in a decent area. The draw back is that nothing compares to the quality of life, the infrastructure/facilities, and the beauty of MN. We are determined to move back at some point. I will say that so far the people I have met in NJ are very nice, the schools in Montclair are great, and the pizza and calzones are amazing. I can't understand how anyone can eat the Broadway pizza.

It is just the population density in this area makes a simple thing like going to Costco or picking up your kid from swimming practice at the Y a poor experience. Even in a relativity high end town like Montclair the library just sucks and there is no great community center like in MN. Just an overprice YMCA.

I guess you don't know what you have until you lose it. My advice it to stay in MN even in the face of a substantial increase in pay and enjoy the relaxing life you have. I know I will take more advantage of the area when we move back.

Also, no Caribou, Dunn Bros, or Noodle Company in this area.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:16 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
I have another update. After 4 and 1/2 years in Maple Grove, MN I got a great job offer to work in lower Manhattan. We moved to Montclair, NJ in late August so I could have a reasonable commute. The job is great and we live in a decent area. The draw back is that nothing compares to the quality of life, the infrastructure/facilities, and the beauty of MN. We are determined to move back at some point. I will say that so far the people I have met in NJ are very nice, the schools in Montclair are great, and the pizza and calzones are amazing. I can't understand how anyone can eat the Broadway pizza.

It is just the population density in this area makes a simple thing like going to Costco or picking up your kid from swimming practice at the Y a poor experience. Even in a relativity high end town like Montclair the library just sucks and there is no great community center like in MN. Just an overprice YMCA.

I guess you don't know what you have until you lose it. My advice it to stay in MN even in the face of a substantial increase in pay and enjoy the relaxing life you have. I know I will take more advantage of the area when we move back.

Also, no Caribou, Dunn Bros, or Noodle Company in this area.
Thanks for the positive perspective of MN!

What do you think about MN pizza compared to NYC pizza? Obviously, NYC is superior, but does MN pizza hold even a candle to it? The reason I ask is that I just saw my parents in Chicago (they hail from San Francisco now) and they tell me all the time that Minneapolis (or MN) has surprisingly good pizza considering it isn't in the Tri-State region(s)(Chicago and New York). Is this true, in your experience (save Broadway)? Do you think Green Mill does deep dish near par with Chicago; Fireside Pizza does Chicago thin near par with Chicago; Davanni's does its own thing pretty well; and Black Sheep, Punch Neapolitain, etc. do NYC style brick-oven pizza near par with NYC???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul