U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 PM

61 posts, read 87,542 times

Advertisements

You know the kinds you saw in "Friends". From my previous post (starting a job @ thomson), I'm just a college grad, who has this fantasy of living in a tall ass building.

Are there are safe places like this in MSP? Maybe even suburbs? I doubt there'll be anything in the suburbs though I've never really lived in MSP. I'm assuming the rent is going to be much higher here too?

Waiting for some recommendations! :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,712,335 times
That was a made-up set for Friends; it is definitely not a NY apartment, and I am wondering if this isn't some kind of joke because no one would consider that a typical NY apartment.

Rent much higher than where???

Many places are safe in Minneapolis.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:59 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,089,275 times
There are plenty of tall, resaidential buildings in The Cities. Mostly concentrated in Mpls. and Saint Paul, esp. downtown. The only suburb that have tall rentals is Richfield (I think). I would look in the Loring Park and Downtown core of Minneapolis, as well as well as on the East Bank of the river. Downtown Saint Paul is also nice. Most apartments in the cities are low rise or midrise (below 10 stories). If you settle for a 2-3story brownstone, there are many more areas of the city that open up.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 AM

8,315 posts, read 23,729,360 times
There are artists lofts that are sort of similar in downtown St. Paul. Rents on these can hover around the $1,200 mark and they are in relatively short buildings.

There are also condos in MPLS between Uptown and Downtown that are also similar to the "Friends" style which tend to be very expensive, though.

The Twin Cities have the ability to expand outward unlike New York City that can really only grow in an upward fashion. Because of that you will not find many skyscraper sized apartment/condo in the TC.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:59 AM

I figured that there won't be many sckyscrapers, but I've lived in Iowa for the longest time (and 1 year in Moorhead, MN), so I want to be near all the things I wasn't previously near to:

(x) Water bodies
(x) Tall Buildings

I know these things aren't necessarily the most obvious things people look when finding an apt. but I'm paid above average, and I'd like to experience this as well!

So I looked @ East Bank. It comes really close to what I want, very close to the river, and hopefully some tall rentals. Riverside Plaza is another.

Thornton Place is currently my favorite, except I would have wished that Thornton Place was a bit closer to the river, like Laurel Village. But the problem with Laurel village is that it's on west bank. I'd prefer East Bank, just because of the view!

I'm crazy!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM

8,315 posts, read 23,729,360 times
Uh....avoid Riverside Plaza at all costs. It is known on the streets as the Crack Stacks or sometimes the Ghetto In The Sky. Are you familiar with the movie 'Whiteboy'?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:24 PM

196 posts, read 881,097 times
yea, riverside plaza is not what you are looking for, unless maybe you are a poor Somali immigrant. It's actually not that bad when it comes to crime and such, it's just grimey. Anything near the U is overpriced, I would look downtown if you want high rise and river, you can acually get more for your money. prices near the U of M are propped up by rich kids and people renting on borrowed money.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Oh ok. I didn't know it was a crack infested area. I've only been to MPLS once, for the interview! So I'm not sure...

I'm not a Somali immigrant! I'm originally from India, and I'd like to stay in let's put it this way, high-white population. I've heard about the Somali gangs, etc.

Regarding the Downtown & River, I was hoping I could get a view of the river overlooking Dowtown.

So, no riverside plaza.. hmm..

I will keep this thread alive, if I find more info!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,089,275 times
Somali gangs are not so bad. The area isn't crack infested either, just those buildings. Mpls. neighborhoods are weird like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul