Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM

16 posts, read 21,317 times

Advertisements

We are young married couple looking for a SFH in North suburbs with easy (20-30 mins) commute to Downtown Minneapolis. Thinking of Blaine and Coon Rapids. And we are leaning towards newer homes (Built in the last 10 years or so).

We saw some listings in "Club west" and "The lakes" communities in Blaine that we liked. I think there is not much difference between the two communities, but if we have to pick one among the two, what factors do we need to consider.

For a similar sized home, 'The Lakes' homes are generally priced higher than the "Club West" home. Is there a reason for that and is it worth that extra price ? One of the reasons may be the lakes have newer homes compared to club west....

need some input to get some clarity.. thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minneliving View Post
We are young married couple looking for a SFH in North suburbs with easy (20-30 mins) commute to Downtown Minneapolis. Thinking of Blaine and Coon Rapids. And we are leaning towards newer homes (Built in the last 10 years or so).

We saw some listings in "Club west" and "The lakes" communities in Blaine that we liked. I think there is not much difference between the two communities, but if we have to pick one among the two, what factors do we need to consider.

For a similar sized home, 'The Lakes' homes are generally priced higher than the "Club West" home. Is there a reason for that and is it worth that extra price ? One of the reasons may be the lakes have newer homes compared to club west....

need some input to get some clarity.. thanks...
The Lakes is newer. I also think the built environment in the Lakes is a bit nicer. There are more trails and the lakes that you could canoe/swim on. Club West still has a lot of little trails though. I get a feeling that houses are closer together in Club West. I also think most of Club West is multi-unit buildings while the Lakes has more single family homes.

Club West is more convenient to shopping. But, that has the downside of what I would guess is more highway noise.

You also will most likely be in different school districts. Club West looks to be Anoka-Hennepin. The Lakes is mostly Spring Lake Park with a little Centennial and a little Anoka-Hennepin in some areas.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I would shift your search for schools in the Mounds View School district. I think you would be happier with the school district. If not there, Maple Grove or St. Michael area would be better.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
I'm not familiar with Club West, but I had friends who used to live out in the Lakes, and they loved it. Lots of parks and people around, from the sounds of it.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would shift your search for schools in the Mounds View School district. I think you would be happier with the school district. If not there, Maple Grove or St. Michael area would be better.
Because why? Oh that's right.... They are RATED better. To the OP. If you live in the Lakes region, it's a sub par district.

The Lakes area of Blaine is chock full of professionals. Hence, the elementary schools will be just fine..

Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Was this meant for another thread?

Maple Grove and St. Michael are pretty far from Blaine/Coon Rapids.

Does the Mounds View district get higher scores than any of the districts mentioned? Yes. But, the same could be said of the Mounds View district versus any other district in the state. Maybe Edina can put up an argument? However, there aren't large neighborhoods of new houses in the Mounds View district. And the new houses that do exist are something like twice the price of houses the OP is considering.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,476,786 times
Mounds Park Academy is outstanding. My niece was valedictorian from her class, was a National Merit Scholar, went to an eastern college, grad school at U of Michigan Ann Arbor. Then postdoc at UW-Madison. They really seem to train their kids to be the best.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Mounds Park Academy is outstanding. My niece was valedictorian from her class, was a National Merit Scholar, went to an eastern college, grad school at U of Michigan Ann Arbor. Then postdoc at UW-Madison. They really seem to train their kids to be the best.
Nearly every valedictorian in every school does well. Including Blaine.

If it matters, my next door neighbor at the lake went to a trade school and owns 250 rentals (nice apartments in the Duluth area). They are all paid for. Ca-ching! He doesn't have to work a day in his life. My other neighbor owns a landscaping company and can also unplug anytime he wants. What's my point? Some people define success differently. They both make a lot more than my old bosses bosses bosses boss at Honeywell with his PHD is Electrical Engineering. But my neighbors don't have to look over their shoulder waiting to see who is gunning for their position (by playing politics). Personally, I like working for myself. The H_ll with getting my PHD. But to each their own.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM

16 posts, read 21,317 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.... looks like "the lakes" is worth the extra $$$ compared to the 'club west'. We also felt the same with 'the lakes'. Looks more scenic then 'club west' and lot of bike/run trails.

Schools are not an immediate concern for us because we are young couple. But we want to be conscious of the resale value may be 5-10 yrs down the lane. I hope it wont be an issue with 'the lakes'.

Also any thoughts on getting a pond lot with a walk-out basement. Is it supposed to be more desirable than a similar house without direct pond access?? Personally we like it better for the view and the privacy. But wanted to know what the popular opinion here is on a pond lot home

We looked at shoreview too, but the homes there are little order, 1980's. We like newer homes.

Last edited by minneliving; 04-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: tyo

Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneliving View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.... looks like "the lakes" is worth the extra $$$ compared to the 'club west'. We also felt the same with 'the lakes'. Looks more scenic then 'club west' and lot of bike/run trails.

Schools are not an immediate concern for us because we are young couple. But we want to be conscious of the resale value may be 5-10 yrs down the lane. I hope it wont be an issue with 'the lakes'.

Also any thoughts on getting a pond lot with a walk-out basement. Is it supposed to be more desirable than a similar house without direct pond access?? Personally we like it better for the view and the privacy. But wanted to know what the popular opinion here is on a pond lot home

We looked at shoreview too, but the homes there are little order, 1980's. We like newer homes.
I would think the pond access would be a plus there, particularly if the pond connects with the bigger ponds. Then you (or a future owner) could have some kind of watercraft. I think there are no gas motors, but you could do canoes and, I think, electric pontoons.

You should also be aware that there is supposed to be a commercial zone next to the park with the beach there. I think the commercial area will be small and envisioned to be upscale, but who knows what will actually happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul