U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,692 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Longtime lurker, first time writer. Basically I've got some questions about neighborhoods here in the cities. I'm married with two kids, one starts kindergarten in fall other in PreK. I work at the U and also at St. Thomas so I frequently go back and forth between the two via transit. We currently live in a duplex in S. Minneapolis but are looking for a 3 bedroom single family home to rent. We are a ways away from buying but the Twin Cities is now our home and we are planning to raise the kids and get old here.

We found most SFHs in N. MPLS and St. Paul. I'm intrigued about Hayden Heights/Hillcrest area as well as the Como Lake areas in St.P. Are they cool or is it a little risky? There are also some areas in the Camden/Victory/Folwell area of N. MPLS.

We moved here last March and I've pretty much been work, work, work since I got here so we haven't done much exploring. Also, the rental house market is pretty nuts right now so looks like S. MPLS is out of the question.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. I know you guys get inquiries like this all the freakin' time but I appreciate the patience and expertise!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM

51 posts, read 189,635 times
There are a heck of a lot of young families moving into north Minneapolis (NoMi). I've been watching it accelerate in the five years since I bought a house in the Homewood area of NoMi's Willard-Hay neighborhood. My friends in other parts of North are seeing the same thing.

Saying "I work at the U" is all the reason you need to consider Willard-Hay, since the #7 bus line goes east on Plymouth Avenue and then buzzes down to the West Bank. You'd be well situated.

There are tons of people living perfectly normal, safe lives in north Minneapolis. If the Minneapolis schools aren't to your liking, you have Robbinsdale and Hopkins schools (Golden Valley) within two miles.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM

391 posts, read 603,147 times
In St. Paul, both Como and Hillcrest/Hayden Heights are mostly middle class neighborhoods, and both are near lakes (Lake Como & Lake Phalen). Also, I think the southern parts of both areas are more modest than the northern parts and the areas nearer the lakes.

I found Hayden Heights kind of isolated out in the northeast corner of St. Paul - we looked at a house out there when we first came to town.

Como is more central and convenient to your work. However, it shouldn't be confused with the Como neighborhood in Minneapolis, which is much closer to the U and has a lot of student rentals.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,692 times
North Minneapolis really seems to be coming into its own. We are looking hard at Willard-Hay.
Hayden Heights/Hillcrest seems to be in the lead for us, it's just a matter of finding housing. It's very difficult to find a SFH for rent that isn't priced out of whack, but that seems to be what the market dictates right now.

We absolutely fell in love with West 7th area by the brewery, but not a whole lot there in terms of renting.

I really appreciate the feedback here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul