Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

Anyone who follows the news knows about all the accidents happening. to me, there are a lot of cars that have no business being on the road. brakes not working, turn signals not working. would you guys be for bringing car inspections to this state or keeping things the way they are. (beat down cars on the road)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Does this exist elsewhere in the country? I know in other places across the globe they legally have to bring their car in for maintenance checks or an emissions test, but does anyone in the US mandate it?

I wouldn't have a problem with this, but I highly doubt it would result in a huge drop in accidents. Most accidents are caused by human error, not vehicular problems.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
doubtful any of the recent accidents occured because brakes or turn siganals were not working.

the family in the minivan got tangled up with another vehicle that first tangled up with a third vehicle, none of the injured/deceased were properly buckled in.

just about every fatal accident involves a combination of the following...
speeding
impairment
distracted driving
unbucked or improperly bucked occupants

we had vehicle inspections here throughout the 90s and I don't think anyone was sorry to see them go

Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Don't look for any of that here. I think that view of owner responsibility got bounced with the Ventura administration along with the helmet law. Our leaders don't think anyone here has a responsibility to maintain a safe vehicle. Another case of us belying any "progressive" reputation we might have had.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Not sure if vehicle inspections would make much difference in road accidents overall. In Australia you have to get a vehicle inspection yearly when you pay for car registration. It costs $35 and additional costs if the motor mechanic needs to repairs something. Even if you have a small amount of rust you need to pay to fix it!

After inspection and repairs, the car is then road worthy for 12 months. What happens 2 months later when the brake light bulb goes out? The tires tread that was just past the legal limit is now below the limit a few months later?

Vehicle inspections is a money grabbing tax and IMO does not reduce the amount of accidents that occur. Cars do look nicer here though cause there is no visible rust.

1st step in reducing car accidents is in EDUCATION when applying to get a drivers license, testing and driving. Also applying "fines" for breaking road rules and fines for accidents when the car has been found faulty.

Previously in Australia a new driver had to have 50 hours driving time with a licensed driver, before they could get a license to drive by themselves. It changed to 120 hours and completing a log book of hours driven in all types of road conditions, weather, rush hour etc. There is also 3 phases in getting a full license. The "Learner" license for the 120 hours driving you must display a "L" plate next to the number plate on the vehicle front and back. The next levels are Red "P" and Green "P" (provisional) plate displayed. This allow other road users to visually see these vehicles are being driven by inexperienced drivers.

The earliest age to start in Australia is 16 year 10 months as a learner and then 120 hours driving logged. So if a learner driver did get 5 hours driving each week that is still another 6 months of practice with licensed driver in the vehicle and then having to sit another computer test and driving test with the government licensed road inspector. So then the person is about 17 1/2 years old. Not sure what age you can start in the various states.

When these changes to learner having 120 hours driving time, I can't remember the stats but it has reduced road accidents! Also when people are on the "P" plates they are restricted with having alcohol in the system. There is alot of random police breath tests units that pop up and stop and test drivers for drugs and alcohol over the limits.

There will always be accidents and there will always be "stupid" drivers that think that they own the road and are not even aware that they are "sharing" the road.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 PM

280 posts, read 473,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
There is also 3 phases in getting a full license. The "Learner" license for the 120 hours driving you must display a "L" plate next to the number plate on the vehicle front and back. The next levels are Red "P" and Green "P" (provisional) plate displayed. This allow other road users to visually see these vehicles are being driven by inexperienced drivers.
What do they give the Senior Citizens?

I agree with SOME of those rules, but I do not agree with the road block tests for DUI. I feel instead, absoultely NO ALCOHOL or drugs should be allowed. If one is found during a stop, or an accident to have them there are SEVERE penalties...including NO LICENSE and jail.

That's how you get the drunks off the road.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
Pennsylvania has mandatory annual emissions and safety checks.

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase lately in the number of Whiskey plates?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
I would rather keep things the way they are... MN had emissions testing/inspections years ago and I am glad that they are gone now.

I had to take a car through the "safety" inspection in PA before. Private car repair shops do the PA inspections as well as fixes for a price, so it seemed like they had a big conflict of interest.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
No.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 PM

413 posts, read 763,408 times
Emissions inspections/testing to get license tabs were only for the seven county metro area. They were a major pain, especially since I was going to college outstate. I think I transferred my address to my dorm room for a month and then back to my parents to avoid the testing so I could get my tabs renewed. I was not upset to see them go away.

As far as DWI checkpoints go, while they're legal in some states, the Minnesota Supreme Court found them to be illegal, so that isn't going to happen here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul