Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM

21 posts, read 40,613 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking to buy a house in SW Minneapolis, Tangletown, or nearby neighborhoods. Which neighborhoods have the worst plane noise issues? I know the neighborhoods right around Lake Nakomis are horrible, but now understand that Linden Hills can be pretty bad as well.

Here is a flight path map if you are interested. MAC Flight Tracker

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbond View Post
We are currently looking to buy a house in SW Minneapolis, Tangletown, or nearby neighborhoods. Which neighborhoods have the worst plane noise issues? I know the neighborhoods right around Lake Nakomis are horrible, but now understand that Linden Hills can be pretty bad as well.

Here is a flight path map if you are interested. MAC Flight Tracker

Thanks!!
I'd say anything around Lake Harriet or Lake Nokomis. My niece lives in the latter area. As the planes land, you have to take a pause in conversation. They land pretty frequently. I think its odd that the houses aren't sold at a greater discount. I wouldn't live in the way of jet airliner traffic. I think the offset might be lower crime.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM

21 posts, read 40,613 times
Agreed. Many years ago I was looking at a rental by Nokomis and everything looked great until I went outside to speak to the owner about lease terms. We had to cut our conversation for what seemed like forever while planes went overhead. I didn't sign the lease!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Yes, they are very loud and one just has to get used to it. Don't know if any slight neighborhood change makes any difference. Although if you can get farther west towards France avenue it is not as bad, but you still get planes.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Or like we did, North. As you get away from highway 62, it improves.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
The flight noise varies greatly, even within a single neighborhood. We have lived in three different places, all west of 35W and along Minnehaha Creek, and all within 10 blocks of each other. The noise at each was different. In our current home, we see a lot of planes but don't hear them much. We've never had to pause a conversation indoors or out. Some friends in Linden Hills have annoying noise, others don't.

If you are looking to buy, I'd start with the MAC map, but then visit the house at different times of the day and on different days...it can vary greatly.

A similar comparison: We looked at a house in Tangletown years ago. We visited four times before going there for a final visit before writing an offer. We heard no noise from 35W in any of the visits (and minor airplane noise)...but the traffic noise was really loud on the final visit (as was the PA system at a Washburn football game). Glad we didn't buy it. Friends bought a house closer to 35W, and (because of their proximity to the sound wall) can't hear 35W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul