Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM

90 posts, read 226,004 times

Advertisements

Is there any type of celebration in this city for 4/20? Once a year in Seattle they have a Hemp Fest which is a hell of a gathering but not celebrated on 4/20. I have read about some shops doing some cute things on 4/20 but is there any festival with bands and things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Chelle View Post
Is there any type of celebration in this city for 4/20? Once a year in Seattle they have a Hemp Fest which is a hell of a gathering but not celebrated on 4/20. I have read about some shops doing some cute things on 4/20 but is there any festival with bands and things?
The state is ruled by police & lawyers who hate cannabis users, &/or fear loss of income, so even people with cancer can't have it legally in the last days of their lives (last vote by legislature would have allowed this, was vetoed by guv). This story was all over the net. The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 by that great Doctor Tricky Dick Nixon says it is a very dangerous drug, with no medical value. So that's what they go by, not 1,000 real studies or it's past history as safe & medically useful.

MN may never have MMJ, with cops & lawyers dominating the legislature, as they seem to want people to just suffer unbearably & if people can't take it anymore, just kill themselves, or move out of state, leaving behind all friends, family & anything familiar. They seemingly believe doctors & Big Pharma can treat anything or if not, nobody or nothing else can.

Police are often killed by medical conditions that cannabis could have treated. Many need it for their anger, anxiety & depression (suicide prevention), & the other 120+ medical conditions it can help. Cannabis oil has been used to cure cancer & other fatal illnesses (see video Run From The Cure).

Big Pharma's pills kill 125,000 Americans a year, a similar number for alcohol & tobacco kills another 200,000+, but cannabis has 0 proven deaths as a direct result. Yet cops (those few that are allowed to talk to the media) say they are keeping it illegal for the safety of the public.

Police could get a large % of the fees & taxes if allowed, but their spokespeople don't seem interested, even as layoffs & pay cuts are happening across the country.

Years ago, people were doing a protest, smoking it on the capitol grounds. I heard from a nurse they followed someone home, found plants & person got sentenced. If anyone would know if anything was being planned, maybe MN NORML would know. There might still be an annual march, but I don't know date, or how many show up. Best wishes, all.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
The state is ruled by police & lawyers who hate cannabis users, &/or fear loss of income, so even people with cancer can't have it legally in the last days of their lives (last vote by legislature would have allowed this, was vetoed by guv). This story was all over the net. The Controlled Substances Act of 1970 by that great Doctor Tricky Dick Nixon says it is a very dangerous drug, with no medical value. So that's what they go by, not 1,000 real studies or it's past history as safe & medically useful.

MN may never have MMJ, with cops & lawyers dominating the legislature, as they seem to want people to just suffer unbearably & if people can't take it anymore, just kill themselves, or move out of state, leaving behind all friends, family & anything familiar. They seemingly believe doctors & Big Pharma can treat anything or if not, nobody or nothing else can.

Police are often killed by medical conditions that cannabis could have treated. Many need it for their anger, anxiety & depression (suicide prevention), & the other 120+ medical conditions it can help. Cannabis oil has been used to cure cancer & other fatal illnesses (see video Run From The Cure).

Big Pharma's pills kill 125,000 Americans a year, a similar number for alcohol & tobacco kills another 200,000+, but cannabis has 0 proven deaths as a direct result. Yet cops (those few that are allowed to talk to the media) say they are keeping it illegal for the safety of the public.

Police could get a large % of the fees & taxes if allowed, but their spokespeople don't seem interested, even as layoffs & pay cuts are happening across the country.

Years ago, people were doing a protest, smoking it on the capitol grounds. I heard from a nurse they followed someone home, found plants & person got sentenced. If anyone would know if anything was being planned, maybe MN NORML would know. There might still be an annual march, but I don't know date, or how many show up. Best wishes, all.
Probably a bit overwrought of a diatribe, says one who has absolutely no personal interest in MJ, but questions whether the "threat to society" warrants the criminalization of what is more likely a private, voluntary action. I'm not sure there is quite the addictive quality to MJ that causes the larger crimes in society that can only be attributed to the lust for it - as much as what is brought about exactly because it's made illegal and therefore only available through illegal connections.

That said, my experience is there is probably not an organized event. If anything, it is probably relatively underground. The somewhat socially conservative Midwestern culture (at least on this topic) likely isn't conducive to an organized, publicized event.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Probably a bit overwrought of a diatribe, says one who has absolutely no personal interest in MJ, but questions whether the "threat to society" warrants the criminalization of what is more likely a private, voluntary action. I'm not sure there is quite the addictive quality to MJ that causes the larger crimes in society that can only be attributed to the lust for it - as much as what is brought about exactly because it's made illegal and therefore only available through illegal connections.

That said, my experience is there is probably not an organized event. If anything, it is probably relatively underground. The somewhat socially conservative Midwestern culture (at least on this topic) likely isn't conducive to an organized, publicized event.

I should explain why I'm overwrought: I have about 20 medical conditions, some of which may date back to time of birth or when they gave me those vaccinations they push on babies (the real drug pushers), shots they insist they have by their 1st birthday. All my life extreme nervous condition, caused by constant pain signals going to the brain from all over my body, & worse than ever.

I've gotten virtually no successful help from doctors & pill makers. 2 meds I'm on I can't get off of, & they make me largely unable to function. Time poll: 25% of Americans say they are in chronic pain. I care about other sufferers, too, but can't do much to help others when I can barely exist.

Young people afford it by buying 1/4 oz to 1 oz, & reselling it for $20 a gram, to make their use free. Of course they know virtually everybody, I don't, & it would cost most of my income. So I have nothing to celebrate on 4/20 or any other day. Just feel like I need to die.

Guess I should get over to the C-D medical forums to see if I can find anyone smarter that Docs & Big Pharma. Best wishes.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
it's a fourfold battle here.. old religious types who think it's a sin, the cotton industry which benefited from having industrial hemp eliminated, big pharma which benefited from having it's use eliminated so people are forced to use their less effective prescription drugs, and the propaganda from all these people over the years telling about how 'bad' and 'addicting' it is, when it's really hypocritical to have it illegal while having alcohol legal. Oh yeah, you have the prison industry, drug smugglers, many of whom probably work for the government, there's just so much money to be made keeping drugs illegal... and wasted by the taxpayers.

But in reality all 'victimless crimes' like drug use should be decriminalized, or even legalized in some cases. The guy I work with has tried every one in the book over the years and you wouldn't know it from looking at him, he's just a blue collar hard working type who's body is falling apart as he's getting older from all the work, etc.

If it was me, they'd all be decriminalized, and the drinking age would be lowered to 18. More personal freedom never hurt anyone, it teaches life lessons and demystifies things too, since people naturally want what they can't have. Need more facts, less rhetoric and propaganda and emotionalizing.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-20-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM

90 posts, read 226,004 times
Actually, MN has some pretty relaxed laws with regard to MJ as compared to other states. According to NORML.org.... It has be decriminalized here and under "x" amount is only a fine of 200.00..... some states with that same amount require jail time. ( Minnesota Penalties for those who are interested)

It's an herb.... so much safer than alcohol or tobacco (2 legal products). I have had too much to drink, passed out behind the wheel and ended up through the windshield, NEVER had an accident on MJ. I mean you never hear of someone having too much to smoke and going home and beating their spouse and kids as you do with alcohol.

Anyway.... don't want to get into a debate that really will have no effect on the law or my thinking of the subject, but I will say that it is so much healthier than alcohol or tobacco..... if MJ was discovered today, it would be considered a wonder drug as it can help or relieve numerous illnesses.

I like it, legal or not..... I will always enjoy it as I have for many, MANY years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul