Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 12:29 AM

6 posts, read 15,625 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm moving to Minneapolis in the summers as a UMN student. I have been looking for apartments in and around the area and came up with a few which I feel could be decent. Based on my price range of about 750-800 max (rent) a month, the one on top of my head is the Larpenteur Manor Apartments on 1740 Larpenteur Ave W in St Paul. Could you guys give me some advice on whether this apartment is worth moving in ? As I find more apartments I will post them here and ask for opinions .

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
My friend either works there or the next complex to the west, I'll check with him and let you know. Are you going to the U of M St Paul campus? If so, it borders it, but is not walking distance due to the U's farm fields in between. As far as he complex location, all the shopping malls, grocery stores, target, restaurants, etc... Are all within a mile north on Snelling. (Har-Mar, Rosedale malls)

Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My friend either works there or the next complex to the west, I'll check with him and let you know. Are you going to the U of M St Paul campus? If so, it borders it, but is not walking distance due to the U's farm fields in between. As far as he complex location, all the shopping malls, grocery stores, target, restaurants, etc... Are all within a mile north on Snelling. (Har-Mar, Rosedale malls)
I'm going to have classes in the main campus, but I have a car so I wouldn't mind living a few miles away if the area is safe and affordable

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Do you want to live in a college area? This area isn't that way at all, more of older residential homes with a few apartment complexes mixed in. If you plan on staying there for the entire year, it borders the St Fair and traffic is gonna be a huge pain for 10 days right before fall semester starts, but ideal for you attending it. I grew up about a mile from this area. I just personally don't associate it with college living, but I don't know your situation in what you like or want.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM

I'm not sure what is college area. I basically want to live in a 1BHK under 800$ (excluding utilities). I don't want to sublet or share. From what I have seen in the area around the campus, all apartments are either too expensive or I have to share with other people.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:28 PM

That area is quiet neighborhoods of families and older people, that's all.

One area to look at is anything west of the main campus and west of 35W, Marcy-Holmes area, Northeast Mpls.

Here's a place I found on Craigslist as an example

TWO Apartment Communities~1 BR Apt. Homes In NE MPLS~

Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

298 posts, read 751,077 times
That particular apartment is a typical suburban style apartment complex for the Twin Cities. probably built in the mid-to-late 1960's Half-mile from the St. Paul Campus of the U of M.

There are also a number of apartment complexes all along W. Larpenteur Avenue from Minnesota Highway 280 along the border with Minneapolis to the intersection of Larpenteur Avenue and Lexington Avenue. This two-mile stretch of Larpenteur Avenue runs through: Lauderdale , Falcon Heights , and Roseville zip codes 55108 and 55113 . Approximately 900-2500 West Larpenteur Avenue would be the addresses.

Several free shuttle buses for students between the St. Paul Campus and the Minneapolis Campus, which is 3-or-4 miles away run at all hours of the day and night along the dedicated U of M busway. metrotransit.org buses run the the entire length of Larpenteur avenue including where the name changes to East Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis towards downtown. The Metro Transit Route #84 bus is a high frequency route north/south along Snelling Avenue, Minnesota Highway 51 , serving the Har-Mar Mall at 2100 Snelling Avenue N. and Rosedale Shopping Center as well.

Parking on the Minneapolis campus is extremely scarce and prohibitively expensive. The parking situation really isn't any better in the adjoining residential neighborhood area's like: Dinkytown, Stadium Village, Marcy-Holmes, Cedar-Riverside (West Bank) etc.

There are also nice college student area's near Van Cleve Park along Como Avenue all the way from Interstate 35W in MPLS past hwy 280 into the St. Anthony Park neighborhood in St. Paul past Cleveland Avenue, Snelling Avenue into the Como Park neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

I have spoken to the apartment leasing office and they told me to give them the security deposit so that they can hold the apartment for me till the time I move in (around end of May). The rent is around $800 (without utilities). So basically should I go ahead with the leasing process (cause currently I'm not in Minnesota) ?

Can you guys suggest me some decent neighborhoods/apartments other than this one ?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM

My friend works at the complex to the west of the Larpenteur Manor that you first mentioned, so I can't get you any inside info on that one. I'd go on Craigslist and maybe rent.com (there's many others I've heard mentioned on here) and post ones you've found on here to get opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul