Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Ah yes, I forgot that to count as a "liberal" city you are apparently required to have a gay mayor. Our mayor bikes, but it's true that she is a woman married to a man, and she's a member of the DFL, and not a Marxist. But she DID support the protesters marching for a $15 minimum wage; does that mean she's not a raging conservative? Or does she have to be visibly tattooed and pierced to be considered liberal? Funny... never knew that body art was a badge of political viewpoints. Although given how many people ARE tattooed around here (including those in the government and, I assume in the police department), I suppose if it is then it would back up the idea that yes, Minneapolis is liberal, even if almost all of us are in agreement that it's not the number one most liberal city in the country.

"you must spread points around before you can..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Ah yes, I forgot that to count as a "liberal" city you are apparently required to have a gay mayor. Our mayor bikes, but it's true that she is a woman married to a man, and she's a member of the DFL, and not a Marxist. But she DID support the protesters marching for a $15 minimum wage; does that mean she's not a raging conservative? Or does she have to be visibly tattooed and pierced to be considered liberal? Funny... never knew that body art was a badge of political viewpoints. Although given how many people ARE tattooed around here (including those in the government and, I assume in the police department), I suppose if it is then it would back up the idea that yes, Minneapolis is liberal, even if almost all of us are in agreement that it's not the number one most liberal city in the country.
Gay police chief though.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
The fact that Minneapolitans or many Minnesotans in general see themselves as "socially liberal" or truly progressive makes me laugh. Minnesota has earned its reputation on the Best Coast as being the "Mississippi of the Midwest".!
Your post lost its credibility IMO with both the first sentence and the "Mississippi of the Midwest" characterization which frankly should make us laugh, not you! That constitutes a certain level of snobbery and arrogance IMO. Maybe we have different definitions.

I called BS on it and so did some others. Please quit trying to sell yourself as a victim when you hurled the first insults toward the state. I doubt anyone is buying it. This is city data with varied, often polarized opinions. You fired your weapon recklessly with a post like that in the opinion of most posters and we are free to fire back to put an Old West analogy on it. You can't complain when people respond just as assertively for their view as you do. I prefer more civil discourse ("agree to disagree"), but if someone is not interested in that and you were not, we can play hard ball too. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

BTW, the Asian population in the Twin Cities has increased significantly the last few decades. Maybe still behind Seattle, but believe the gap is less than a few decades ago.

In Presidential voting, Minnesota has voted for the Democratic candidate in ALL of the last ten elections (1976-2012).

Washington has voted for Democratic candidates in seven of the last ten elections. Three times they voted for Republican candidates. (Three more times than Minnesota! The embarrassment! Three more times than the "Mississippi of the Midwest"!).

No worries, I won't lambast Washington for being less progressive in Presidential voting. Most people in Seattle would never share this IMO as it challenges some of their preconceived notions. However, it is their right to vote for the candidate of their choice.

The state of Mississippi has voted for only one Democrat in the last ten elections (Carter in 1976). To summarize, Mississippi voted for one Democrat in the last ten elections; Minnesota voted for all ten Democrats in the last ten elections. No, these are not comparable.

www.270towin.com/states/Minnesota.
www.270towin.com/states/Washington.
www.270towin.com/states/Mississippi.

Anyways, it is a reasonable request that you should at least rescind your "Mississippi of the Midwest" label given these facts. Feel free to keep your viewpoints on the rest, and we will just agree to disagree on most of those.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-08-2015 at 11:34 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 11:00 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
You don't have to tell me, I am the first person to point this out here and elsewhere for over 20 years now! I have said for decades about Seattle that it's easy to be "tolerant and all inclusive when you live in the whitest big city in America!"
I am certainly glad you said and acknowledged this about Seattle, but it would have been helpful to include it in your original post on this topic for context and without the hyperbole ("Mississippi of the Midwest"). Granted, I sometimes read old posts of mine and wish I could have added something for context too, so was just pointing it out and not being too critical.

We'll definitely agree to disagree about that "Mississippi" label though. LOL.

Last edited by chessgeek; 01-08-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
I doubt that many posters here have actually been to Mississippi or really know much about it. I know I don't. It seems to be conservative polically, but most states, including MN, WA and OR, are closer to 50/50 split liberal/ conservative with the deciding question being do more people live in rural areas or urban?

There's no doubt that Minneapolis with its highly unionized workforce, is overwhelmingly liberal, but it's not a monolith and about 20% of us are conservatives.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM

192 posts, read 451,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Why are you talking about Seattle in this forum at all? Who cares?
Because someone erroneously claimed Minneapolis was the most liberal city in the country, that's why. Which proves my original point perfectly, that being that Minneapolis sees itself as such, when in reality it clearly is not the most liberal city in the country, by long shot. I can't say I "hate that" exactly about the city but it is irksome to say the least. I then provided clear juxtaposition with another city I know well, Seattle, that is clearly more truly progressive all around. So I have answered your question, however your question begs the question, then why are you posting about corruption on the Seattle Police force here? What is it that you hate about Minneapolis? So who cares? It seems you do.

Last edited by glendog; 01-09-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM

40 posts, read 62,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I doubt that many posters here have actually been to Mississippi or really know much about it. I know I don't. It seems to be conservative polically, but most states, including MN, WA and OR, are closer to 50/50 split liberal/ conservative with the deciding question being do more people live in rural areas or urban?

There's no doubt that Minneapolis with its highly unionized workforce, is overwhelmingly liberal, but it's not a monolith and about 20% of us are conservatives.
Lumping up Mississippi as an example of Conservatism is not a comparison that I would make. There are plenty of free states out there that don't believe in people marrying their cousins. Hennepin county however is seemingly somewhere to left of Marx. The left in Minnesota is like some sort of irrational plague where people vote for people they hold no common ground with. Minus the beta males, hipsters and artsy statists living in Uptown and Nordeast because it's "trendy" naturally. This state has an identity crisis that it can't seem to deal with because people really as a whole would probably lean more Libertarian if they could just get past their preconceived cognition of living within a nanny state. Nothing will change though, people are too passive aggressive ("Minnesota Nice") here to make a change towards working on their own character rather than expecting the government to develop it for them.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Your post lost its credibility IMO with both the first sentence and the "Mississippi of the Midwest" characterization which frankly should make us laugh, not you! That constitutes a certain level of snobbery and arrogance IMO. Maybe we have different definitions.

I called BS on it and so did some others. Please quit trying to sell yourself as a victim when you hurled the first insults toward the state. I doubt anyone is buying it. This is city data with varied, often polarized opinions. You fired your weapon recklessly with a post like that in the opinion of most posters and we are free to fire back to put an Old West analogy on it. You can't complain when people respond just as assertively for their view as you do. I prefer more civil discourse ("agree to disagree"), but if someone is not interested in that and you were not, we can play hard ball too. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

BTW, the Asian population in the Twin Cities has increased significantly the last few decades. Maybe still behind Seattle, but believe the gap is less than a few decades ago.

In Presidential voting, Minnesota has voted for the Democratic candidate in ALL of the last ten elections (1976-2012).

Washington has voted for Democratic candidates in seven of the last ten elections. Three times they voted for Republican candidates. (Three more times than Minnesota! The embarrassment! Three more times than the "Mississippi of the Midwest"!).

No worries, I won't lambast Washington for being less progressive in Presidential voting. Most people in Seattle would never share this IMO as it challenges some of their preconceived notions. However, it is their right to vote for the candidate of their choice.

The state of Mississippi has voted for only one Democrat in the last ten elections (Carter in 1976). To summarize, Mississippi voted for one Democrat in the last ten elections; Minnesota voted for all ten Democrats in the last ten elections. No, these are not comparable.

www.270towin.com/states/Minnesota.
www.270towin.com/states/Washington.
www.270towin.com/states/Mississippi.

Anyways, it is a reasonable request that you should at least rescind your "Mississippi of the Midwest" label given these facts. Feel free to keep your viewpoints on the rest, and we will just agree to disagree on most of those.
Washington State leans far more Libertarian, with truly socially liberal laws and voting records and is definitely more fiscally conservative. The fact that Minnesota voted for mainstream Democrats pretty much no matter what in Presidential elections, (let's not disrupt the thread even further by noting all the Republican Governors and people like Bachmann Minnesota has voted for) really is not germane to the original subject, what people "hate" about Minneapolis.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am certainly glad you said and acknowledged this about Seattle, but it would have been helpful to include it in your original post on this topic for context and without the hyperbole ("Mississippi of the Midwest"). Granted, I sometimes read old posts of mine and wish I could have added something for context too, so was just pointing it out and not being too critical.

We'll definitely agree to disagree about that "Mississippi" label though. LOL.
No. The only reason it was brought up was because someone else strayed off subject and onto diversity and demographics, which is completely fair but in my opinion not feasible to point out every single difference of perceived or real "liberalness". That said, if we want to go there, Seattle has a much higher gay/lesbian population than Minneapolis, so perhaps you'd like to go back and amend your original post to include this fact? But I digress...

Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 AM

40 posts, read 62,321 times
Quote:
Washington State leans far more Libertarian, with truly socially liberal laws and voting records and is definitely more fiscally conservative. The fact that Minnesota voted for mainstream Democrats pretty much no matter what in Presidential elections, (let's not disrupt the thread even further by noting all the Republican Governors and people like Bachmann Minnesota has voted for) really is not germane to the original subject, what people "hate" about Minneapolis.

Washington State is on the foreground to ignoring the United States Constitution and a prime example of why we are a Republic and not a Democracy. I don't like Bachmann at all, but if we are going to throw someone under the bus, lets throw the leftists under it too. I've never gotten peoples hatred for people like Bachmann when their candidates want to take the same if not more amount of liberty away from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul