Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

I think not recycling is less of a problem than doing the job unenthusiastically. When recyclers had to sort, there was no chance of garbage getting into recycling if you simply didn't do it. Now that people have two carts, it is possible for both carts to have a mix. Public recycle receptacles show what a casual attitude causes. You can find trash in all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I think not recycling is less of a problem than doing the job unenthusiastically. When recyclers had to sort, there was no chance of garbage getting into recycling if you simply didn't do it. Now that people have two carts, it is possible for both carts to have a mix. Public recycle receptacles show what a casual attitude causes. You can find trash in all of them.
True, but since there are actual people who then have to sort it at the site who weed out trash (or random pieces that can be recycled but didn't make it to the correct area). It certainly adds cost. But single-sort isn't meant to be a cheaper option. It's meant to make it easier for people to recycle and therefore increase recycling on the front-end.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Are apartments covered by the single-stream options anyways? In my last city, they had single-stream for homes, but multi-unit buildings (including townhomes, apartments, and condos) had privately-contracted waste recycling, so it didn't apply there. Of course, managers or landlords could make some of those arrangements on their own if they wished.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Are apartments covered by the single-stream options anyways? In my last city, they had single-stream for homes, but multi-unit buildings (including townhomes, apartments, and condos) had privately-contracted waste recycling, so it didn't apply there. Of course, managers or landlords could make some of those arrangements on their own if they wished.
I believe in Minneapolis the city only has monopoly on garbage for places with four units or less. Otherwise, it is the apartment management's job to privately contract. But I do know they must have recycling. My apartment just switched to single sort a few months ago.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I still sort my recycling, the recycling guy just dumps everything in the back anyways. One morning I went out to complain about him disenfranchising my sorting efforts and he just looked at me like I was nuts or something. Frustrated, I went back inside, put my clothes on and left for work.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Wonder what the 80 percent who didn't recycle did with their mercury and lithium batteries that aren't supposed to be in the garbage.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Wonder what the 80 percent who didn't recycle did with their mercury and lithium batteries that aren't supposed to be in the garbage.
They definitely just put them in the garbage. My parents had about 10 mercury thermometers in their house. When I explained that they could/should trade them in for digital, my dad said "OK...I'll just throw these away." He got the message that he shouldn't use them...but not the reason why. I had to rescue them from the trash to dispose of them properly. ugh.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM

So sweet to know what we've been breathing because of the brilliant decision to burn garbage when there was zero control over what went in the burner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul