Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting an iPhone 5, my first smart phone. In doing some research, I've learned that some providers are better than others but I can't find any of that info for Minneapolis.

Which provider (AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, etc.,) offers the best monthly rate and the fastest service? Whichever provider I end up choosing will determine where I buy my iPhone, right? And that would determine the price, right?

Educated opinions and personal experiences would be really helpful!

Also, I use ComCast for my internet provider for my iMac. To use my iPhone 5 at home, I'd need to switch to a wireless modem and router. Any advice here? All in one combo or should should I get the modem and router separately? Which brand(s)? Does ComCast offer iPhone service and how is it? It would be nice if I could get one bill (internet and phone) at a discount.

I'm so new to this that, basically, any advice, cautions, hints, tips, warnings, etc., would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:25 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
We have Verizon. That seems to be the "better" provider in the TC Metro. That is simply based on just about everyone we know has Verizon and there have been a few situations where the Verizon people were able to get service when the ATT people could not. I would look at service maps for all the companies you are considering and see who has the biggest 4G network in the areas you are in the most.

Cost for plans--I don't know who is less now. I think Sprint was the lowest cost for a while but not sure if you can use an IPhone with them or not.

You don't have to get wireless at home, it's just a way to save on your Data being able to use your Iphone via Wi-Fi. There are some apps that won't download over the network and only download via Wi-Fi so that's something to consider. It might just be less expensive to get another 2 GB's of Data and skip the wireless at home...but again, check with the various companies for pricing. Our modem and router are all in one and that seems to be a faster option, at least in our experience. We had a separate router before and it seemed to slow things down. Our son has a signal boosting router on his line so he can use his computer farther away though and that's fast enough for him. Hopefully someone more technical can chime in on that.

Warnings--Iphones break very easily. Get a GOOD case and get the Zagg InvisibleSHIELD screen protector--and have the guys at the Apple Store or cell phone store put it on for you . That way if they mess it up, they have to give you another one--there is only one in each box. Otterbox is a good option for cases.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks golfgal!

I'm not sure I understand the part about not needing/having wireless. Wouldn't I need to have a wireless service so I can connect online?

Truth be told, I don't use my phone very often at all. The features are what I'm most interested in, especially Siri.

Also, I found the THIS ARTICLE online from March 2013 that compares pricing with AT&T, Verizon, TMobile and Sprint. I'm wondering if folks here would agree?

Something I still need to understand is what mobile hotspotting is as well as what data use/transferring entails. Texts? Videos? Online surfing? App usage?

Sorry to sound naive but I'm a 19th Century guy trying to survive in a 21st Century world! (I refuse to buy a microwave and I still make my own bread and butter by hand every week!)

Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Your cell phone will have access to the web through the 4G network on the phone. That uses Data to connect though. You buy however much Data, say 2 GB. If you go over that you pay for extra Data, $15 for another GB with Verizon, not a big deal really. If you are on a Wi-Fi network as an option on your phone, you aren't using your Data minutes-so either way you can still be on the web, get your emails, etc. it's just how you pay for the time you use. We are set to use wi-fi at home on our phones but use the 4G network elsewhere. It's just for Data management only.

I would agree that pricing is about the same no matter what company you use. The drawback with Sprint is the smaller network, which means more dead spots, which is a pain in the rear...We have a family share everything plan with 5 phones on our plan. We share 6 GB and have never gone over. We used about 3/4th of our Data in April when I was life streaming the Masters on my phone when I wasn't near a tv. If you want to watch Netflix or movies on your phone, do that over Wi-Fi only to save Data.

Mobil hot spot just means that your phone can act as your internet provider for your computer, a tablet, etc. I've never used the one from Verizon. In that article it says it's free but I'm not sure that is correct. It used to cost $15/month but that may have changed. I have an app that does that for me so I haven't looked into it for a while.

Last edited by golfgal; 05-13-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Now I understand... Thanks for the clarification. I just spoke to a friend of mine and he wants me to consider the Galaxy S4 before getting the iPhone 5. I'm an Apple fan so I doubt that will happen but, I'll check it out.

I use Verizon right now but I'm not under contract with them. I'll have to see what the price difference is if I go through Verizon or another place like Best Buy.

I figured out HotSpotting and I'm sure I don't need that.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 AM

We get our phones through a local Verizon dealer, mainly because we know the owner and it's easy. Walmart seems to have good prices on phones but I think the Iphones are what they are pretty much everywhere and your contract price will be what it is no matter where you go because those are set by the carrier--so ATT will be the same at Bust Buy or at the mall kiosk, etc.

I have to agree with your friend that the Galaxy is probably a better phone but if you already have Apple products, an Iphone will be more convenient for you. We have 2 Android phones and 2 Iphones here and the Androids are much easier to use and have more features but syncing your Apple products--computer, Ipod, etc. with an Iphone is a plus.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:44 PM

There's a great video on YouTube that does a fair, unbiased comparison between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4. Needs and preferences are so different so, as long as the quality is there, it comes down to a personal choice. I'm sticking with the iPhone 5. The only feature I liked better on the Galaxy S4 is that you can take out unwanted people or things from your photos. Other than that, the iPhone fits me well. I'm also a writer so, taking that into consideration, the iPhone 5 was a hands down winner for me.

I had one major problem to resolve. Now, this won't be news to most people but, for me, it was. Keep in mind that I haven't had a TV in about 13 years. (Meaning I'm not subjected to the bombardment of media or advertising.) I haven't been under a cell phone contract for almost nine years.

I live very simply and own very little. As a matter of fact, the guy at the Apple store thought I was joking when I said I'd never held an iPhone or iPad!

But I am meticulous, organized and very detail-oriented. I asked about every fee regarding the iPhone and contract. I worked in banking and other corporate companies for many years and I know quite a lot about bogus and fake fees with fancy names that most people blindly accept and pay. Not me.

I learned about the $30 "activation/upgrade" fee. None of the people at Apple or Verizon (which I will use since I discovered I get a discount with through my employer) could say for sure what the fee actually was - an upgrade or an activation fee.

When I asked what it was FOR, I got different answers again. I had been with Verizon, without contract, rocking the same flip phone, since 2004. I didn't need to be "activated" and an "upgrade" fee is bogus and ridiculous. (You mean I have to PAY THEM to give them my business? And people just accept that and hand over $30?!)

Sorry. That will never happen; not even if the phone was free. I'm stubbornly principled! After doing some research, I found out that $30 fee goes towards Wireless Conferences and donations Verizon makes towards Hurricane and Tornado Relief funds, etc., I got this from two separate Verizon managers at two separate locations.

I'm glad they offer those services and give so generously but I assured them that I won't be participating in any conferences with them and that I make my own donations. I requested to have the $30 fee waived, telling them that that would either make or break the deal. They wouldn't budge. No way. Everyone does it and nobody waives it. It's the "cost of doing business with them." If fraudulently named fees are a cost of doing business with someone, I refuse to do business.

However, being stubborn and unrelenting, I was determined to have that fee waived. So, I called corporate. After being told that I have a dinosaur for a phone and a great track record with them, the fee was still un-waivable. (And yes, even the corporate office said the fee was for conferences, donations, etc. Is that an "upgrade" or an "activation" to you?)

I explained (with sincere kindness and respect) that I know about misleading/fraudulent fees. Banks charge their customers $35 - $50 to do a wire transfer. They don't even perform them. They give the info to the Federal Reserve Bank who does them and charges the bank ONLY 35 CENTS! (Again, I was VERY respectful and kind. I was NOT rude or a "squeaky wheel" in ANY way.)

I explained that if there was a legitimate reason that he could give me for charging the fee, I would happily pay it. If not, I expected the fee to be waived. Logic outweighed the bogus reasons for the fee so, he waived it.

He noted my account and even offered for me to go pick up the iPhone now and pay for it when my next phone bill arrived in 30 days. I politely declined because I'm a cash-on-the-barrelhead kind of guy. Part of me can't wait to go back to the store and have them see that "impossible, never waivable" fee waived. At least it will be an easy sale for them. They won't have to do any of the sales leg work, just activate the phone.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
I really like Verizon, but everyone I know who uses AT&T is also happy with its performance. Verizon and AT&T have the most modern (and most widespread) data networks, and the frequencies they license from the FCC for this area (and most other areas) have a technical edge over the other guys' frequencies. Basically, they're better suited to indoor use and they can cover more distance before the signal degrades.

If you want to save a few bucks a month, and you don't travel outside the cities often (and don't mind having extremely slow data when you do), T-Mobile is an option. They're fine in town (not as strong as Verizon though), but they've never bothered (or couldn't afford) to keep their technology up to date in rural areas. It's a shame, too, because they own enough towers to cover the lower 3/4ths of the state. They could be a real contender here if not for their archaic network outstate.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Sprint until they've had more time to build out their 4G-LTE data network, because their 3G data is slow as molasses most of the time. They also suffer from the same lack of investment in rural areas as T-Mobile.

AT&T and Verizon are the superior all-around choices if you don't mind a higher bill and possible data overages. The monthly savings with T-Mobile and Sprint come with compromises.

EDIT:

Regarding Verizon's fees, I feel the same way. I was going to either sign or walk, and while they wouldn't waive the $30 fee, the manager on duty at the corporate-owned Verizon store (MOA location) gave me some free accessories with a "retail value" of about $40. So at least I got something for being forced to pay the bogus fee. You might try that angle instead, and avoid paying for that case or spare Apple charging cable.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 05-17-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Just on the topic of providers...

I use AT&T and have been happy with my service. Really AT&T and Verizon are about the same just about anywhere you go in the Twin Cities. Sometimes I have service when my Verizon friends don't (and vice versa).

For price, I think a single line is $10 cheaper on AT&T with (roughly) equivalent amounts of data, but that may have changed. I'm still on a family plan.

One benefit of AT&T is that it has a faster fall-back network than Verizon. I have an iPhone 4S, which means I don't get LTE. But I do get HSPA+ (essentially a faster version of 3G), which has very high speed. When I fall back from that, I am still on a fairly fast network. Verizon's LTE speeds are great, but if you do fall back to 3G, it is significantly slower because it uses a different protocol than AT&T's. You may or may not notice it.

I have friends with iPhones on pretty much all networks. They're all happy with them.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:48 PM

I ended up going with Verizon because my best friend uses Verizon so the time we spend talking isn't counted on the minutes plan. He's the person I talk to the most anyway. Also, I found out I get a 17% discount with them through my job. The $70 monthly plan will now only be $58 a month.

I didn't choose Verizon because of the in-store customer service, though. That was a horrible experience. A store manager was beyond rude. He kept eavesdropping on the conversation I was having with my friend and walked-up and said firmly, "You can ask these questions to your salesperson and he'll answer them for you." I was livid and walked out. My friend then took me to Best Buy Mobile, which I can not recommend enough! The sales person matched an online offer to give me the iPhone 5 for $149 instead of $199 ($214 after taxes). So, I walked out with my phone, an Otter Box case and a protective shield all for only $225!

I intend calling Verizon Corporate to let them know about the unpleasant experience in the store, too. The manager kept interfering with what our salesperson was telling us, too, and I could see the embarrassment on the salesman's face. It was just all kinds of wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul