Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM

106 posts, read 223,001 times

Advertisements

So there is a possibility that we may be moving to the SE corner of the twin cities area. We think we've narrowed our options down to Apple Valley or Rosemount, but we are also looking at Woodbury and to a lesser extent, Hastings.

My most important requirement at this point is finding a high school where my son has the best chance of fitting in and feeling comfortable, since he's the one that's the most stressed about the potential move right now.

Is there more than one high school in any of these towns? Seems like I am finding at least two in Apple Valley and maybe also Woodbury? Is there a map of boundaries available if you want to be sure to get into one or the other?

Rosemount school - sorry if this brings up a touchy subject, but what is up with that kissing thing at the pep fest in Dec 2011 that I'm reading about online? That does not give me a good first impression of their school!

So I'll lay out what's important to us, and I'd appreciate any feedback on which schools may or may not be able to provide that.

• He's not athletic and doesn't care about after school activities. We need a school where it's acceptable to not be an athlete!
  • He's big into computers and video games. Planning to go to college for computer programming, so lots of computer classes would be a big plus
  • He spent middle school very miserable because of out of control bullying, so we are looking for a place that doesn't already have a reputation for bullying issues
  • He's shy and quiet, and it takes him a while to warm up to people. He's concerned that at this point (going into 11th grade) the kids will already have established their groups of friends and nobody will let him in to their circle. So we're hoping for a place that is welcoming and isn't too clique-ish.
  • While high graduation rates and test scores are important, it's really more important to me that he is comfortable and able to adjust well. If he's going to be outcast because he's not as rich (not that we are poor, but we are certainly not in the top tiers either) as the other kids, or because he doesn't play sports, he is going to be very miserable!
Any thoughts so far? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM

36 posts, read 77,392 times
Woodbury is served by Woodbury and Eastridge High Schools. Hastings only has one. Rosemount/Apple Valley/ Eagan is all one school district and they have several. You should be able to find out the specific lines by visiting the district websites. I am a long way out of high school, so I don't know anything about which of these schools may have bigger clique or bullying problems. I grew up in a neighboring city of Woodbury and they did have the reputation of having more money and there are some really nice developments there that are certainly more wealthy than say Hastings, but I wouldn't say that necessarily means the kids are bad or exclusionary.
If you son is shy, you also might want to consider the size of the schools. All of these schools are within the typical range of size for the Twin Cities, but certainly not small schools. A really large school might seem overwhelming.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban mom04 View Post
Woodbury is served by Woodbury and Eastridge High Schools. Hastings only has one. Rosemount/Apple Valley/ Eagan is all one school district and they have several. You should be able to find out the specific lines by visiting the district websites. I am a long way out of high school, so I don't know anything about which of these schools may have bigger clique or bullying problems. I grew up in a neighboring city of Woodbury and they did have the reputation of having more money and there are some really nice developments there that are certainly more wealthy than say Hastings, but I wouldn't say that necessarily means the kids are bad or exclusionary.
If you son is shy, you also might want to consider the size of the schools. All of these schools are within the typical range of size for the Twin Cities, but certainly not small schools. A really large school might seem overwhelming.
Thanks for the reply. Since we live in Duluth and they've now combined our three high schools into two, he's in a school of we're guessing about 2000, which seems to be about the average amount of the schools there, would that be accurate?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM

36 posts, read 77,392 times
If he's used to a big school, it may be less of an issue but I was curious so I looked it up on another web site....I can't promise complete accuracy but it said (from smallest to largest)
Hastings 1572
East Ridge 1602
Woodbury 1807
Apple Valley 1831
Rosemount 2149

Of course the other side of the coin could be that maybe bigger schools offer more computer courses??

Old 05-17-2013, 08:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Rosemount has several computer science classes he can take as well as CAD and other computer programming options so he would have many choices for that here. There are also great advanced math options, which he will need for computer programming. He can do the computer classes at an honors level or the AP level. The kissing thing is a non-issue, really--blown WAY out of proportion, but it is what it is with the internet. None of those kids will be there next year so nothing to worry about.

There are 5 high schools in the 196 district. All of Rosemount attends Rosemount high school but parts of Apple Valley, Eagan, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville and Farmington do as well. Eastview is the next closest school to Rosemount and it is mostly kids from Apple Valley but parts of Farmington and Lakeville as well. Rosemount is a much more down to earth school population with a wide variety of kids. Eastview is much more of a keeping up with the Jones' type area, as is Woodbury. The Rosemount middle school does a good job of controlling the bully issues and it's pretty nonexistent at the high school. While sports are popular here, the school doesn't revolve around sports. If he is at all interested, the marching band is always looking for kids to run the sound equipment and would be a good way for him to meet kids before school starts, and get in with a group of kids that will treat him like family. He would have about 220 friends to start the school year--band practices start in July. They are also marching in the Rose Bowl Parade in January so if that is appealing to him, contact the band directors. I'm sure they would love to have someone that is computer savvy help with their equipment. It's a very important part of their field shows!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post

So I'll lay out what's important to us, and I'd appreciate any feedback .......

!
My free advice is to stay put until your son graduates. Your families well being should trump raises, weather, promotions, etc. Listen to your son.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My free advice is to stay put until your son graduates. Your families well being should trump raises, weather, promotions, etc. Listen to your son.
Her son is not having a good experience where they are.....

Old 05-19-2013, 09:04 AM

How is Hastings high school, in regards to our criteria? Seems like a more affordable place to find a place to rent. Since for a while we will need to pay our mortgage back here (until it sells), more affordable sounds really good right about now!

Also, From what I can see online, high schools down there have different graduation requirements than we have. For example, they require many more health and phy ed credits than our .5/each requirement. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Is it going to be too late for him to make these up? Or will they possibly excuse him from them?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Her son is not having a good experience where they are.....
It's true, on paper he doesn't have much going for him here. Just the comfort of familiarity. He is becoming curious now, though, and I think he's going to come with us this week to check out the areas.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
How is Hastings high school, in regards to our criteria? Seems like a more affordable place to find a place to rent. Since for a while we will need to pay our mortgage back here (until it sells), more affordable sounds really good right about now!

Also, From what I can see online, high schools down there have different graduation requirements than we have. For example, they require many more health and phy ed credits than our .5/each requirement. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Is it going to be too late for him to make these up? Or will they possibly excuse him from them?
I think for transfer students some exceptions will be made. Rosemount is on a Trimester system and they have to have 8 trimesters of PE 9-12th grades. Two of those tri's are health and 1 is "safety ed" which is driver's education and first aid--not many kids want to skip that one . The school here is very good about working with kids and doing what is best for them. There is an option to take a zero hour PE to help with credits--kids have to do an exercise program on their own and then go into class a few times each trimester, but not every day. Our son is doing that this year so he could take an extra AP class.

It's hard to say if Hastings is good or bad. I know a few kids that go there and they can't wait to get out of school--I don't know if it's them or the other kids though. Our son was in a similar situation, really bad middle school experience. We moved here when he was going into 9th grade and it made a world of difference. He had ONE kid try to pick on him in 9th grade and the teacher in that class put an immediate stop to that. That other kid had been a problem for many kids and ended up getting expelled. That was the only issue he had all through high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul