Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 AM

6,427 posts, read 6,965,259 times

Advertisements

The awd version is going to be worth more and higher demand when you go to sell or trade it in the future. I've owned nothing but SUV's and I'd never buy one that didn't have 4x4 or awd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,663,832 times
We have two vehicles, one a FWD Saab and the other an AWD Subaru. While I've never gotten stuck with the Saab, the Subaru definitely provides better traction in slippery conditions.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,108,358 times
Mazda's are notorious for horrible mileage as it is. I checked the ratings and the FWD is rated at 17/24 (city/highway) and the AWD is 16/22 so not much difference for this model I guess. Compare that to a minivan with 18/27 though....

Old 06-02-2013, 09:15 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,445,398 times
Look at this article. The 15 most fuel-efficient all-wheel-drive vehicles - MSN Autos

The Honda CR-V LX is a Honda (most reliable) and manages good MPG (25 combined) while having all wheel drive. Could be an ideal choice for a snowy Minnesota winter. Kelley says $23,589 is a fair purchase price.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,108,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Look at this article. The 15 most fuel-efficient all-wheel-drive vehicles - MSN Autos

The Honda CR-V LX is a Honda (most reliable) and manages good MPG (25 combined) while having all wheel drive. Could be an ideal choice for a snowy Minnesota winter. Kelley says $23,589 is a fair purchase price.
Doesn't sound like the CR-V is big enough though....

Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM

If that's true, then forget good gas mileage. Simple as that. And I think 2WD vs. 4WD ceases to be an issue. Big vehicles just don't get acceptable mileage. And forget it if you have notions of towing things.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:50 PM

145 posts, read 153,810 times
Yeah, we're absolutely getting the CX-9, though I appreciate the other suggestions...combination of cargo space/set-up needs and seat comfort (I have a bad back, so I'm REALLY picky...I think we test drove just about everything out there, lol!) really makes it our best choice. Basically just picking options now.

It sounds like whether or not the AWD is needed for the kind of driving we plan to do is a matter of opinion--not needed, but nice to have. Guess we'll have to think about it a bit. I've never had a car with AWD, so I really have no basis for comparison.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM

The "good news": Gas prices are tumbling. Maybe for a brief span you won't have to have both mediocre mileage and historic gas prices.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,446 times
I will not say what you should get because I do not know your driving style, what conditions you will mostly encounter, how experienced you are with winter driving, etc so instead I will give you some valuable tips that a lot of people seem to over look when they just jump into AWD...

Not all AWD systems are created equally. Some (Honda, Toyota as well as many others) are nearly useless as they are FWD all the time and can only put a max of 10% of the power to the rear wheels. Subaru REALLY does shine on the AWD performance on the lower end of the pricing scale. I am not sure how Mazda is so you may want to ask about the details and research to make sure.

AWD does NOT help you with braking in the least bit and only helps you if you slip while turning if you already know how to control a sliding vehicle.

FWD with snow tires will outperform AWD with plain old all seasons with almost every task it will encounter... unless you are stuck.

A system that is FWD only and kicks on the rear wheels when it detects slippage can be very dangerous. A lot of people will begin to control the car based on how it feels at the moment, then the car kicks into AWD which changes the characteristics of the vehicle and can actually cause you to become more out of control in the event of sliding.

...Those are just a few things to consider. In my opinion, an all-time AWD system with snow tires is the best and safest, but if you don't plan on going with snow tires or are getting an AWD system that can't do much with the rear wheels, a FWD with snow tires will be a better option.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM

Yeh, one thing to keep in mind for winter driving: The size and weight and center of gravity of big vehicles, what you have in mind for inside space, makes them VERY hard to maneuver in the winter, mostly when snow falls over ice. You'll see more of those vehicles in ditches under those conditions than any other kind. Drivers simply never get any training in the handling characteristics. Some entrepreneur should really offer advanced driving classes for all the new owners of tall heavy vehicles. It is obvious there is significant expense resulting from loss of control in winter conditions. It takes serious adjustment of how you drive. The extra gas expense may end up being smaller than the expense of crashing when driving on ice. Above ALL, when you drive, buckle up and DON'T make or answer phone calls. I've seen the maniacs in trucks do that in winter, and they are a major danger to themselves and everyone around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul