Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,440,851 times

Advertisements

That's another bad situation. Pulling away from the curb on even a slight uphill slope. Frankly, since I know from years of experience how bad that is, I always try to get gravity on my side. Of course, a person might carry chains with them, but icy conditions are the bane of every driver in Minnesota. So many ways to get marooned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM

651 posts, read 858,496 times
I would go with FWD. It gives more feedback when the road is slippery. although AWD does come in hady for going fast quickly in back weather, the cars that have AWD are still subject to the laws of momentum and having 4 wheels to stop you. Besides, most areas you drive in you will be limited to how fast others are going anyway.

I made it around MSP no problems in a Chevrolet Aveo with 2/32nd's of tread on my tires for my last winter there.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I would go with FWD. It gives more feedback when the road is slippery. although AWD does come in hady for going fast quickly in back weather, the cars that have AWD are still subject to the laws of momentum and having 4 wheels to stop you. Besides, most areas you drive in you will be limited to how fast others are going anyway.

I made it around MSP no problems in a Chevrolet Aveo with 2/32nd's of tread on my tires for my last winter there.
Nowadays, ABS helps all cars handle stopping better.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
spose someone tells me, why is it that most of the vehicles you see in the ditches during winter fun tend to be 4WD? <chuckles>

Old 06-06-2013, 02:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,413,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
spose someone tells me, why is it that most of the vehicles you see in the ditches during winter fun tend to be 4WD? <chuckles>
I knew a guy who drove a 2WD little pickup in central MN with a 45 mile commute each way. We'd offer to let him borrow our 4WD vehicles on storm days and he'd refused because "4WD just means you have 2 more wheels to dig out when you get stuck anyways".

Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I knew a guy who drove a 2WD little pickup in central MN with a 45 mile commute each way. We'd offer to let him borrow our 4WD vehicles on storm days and he'd refused because "4WD just means you have 2 more wheels to dig out when you get stuck anyways".
Not sure. But I do think they are mostly just harder to drive. Commercial truck drivers need some proof of skill, but these big overweight SUVs are just a common ordinary license. And nowadays it seems to me like more of the drivers are small in stature. I just think the beast gets the better of its master sometimes. Smaller lighter vehicles are easier to drive with a subtle, nuanced technique that doesn't get them out of control. When you get up to a couple of tons, you have to start applying the forward driving technique where you make adjustments for conditions hundreds of feet out. And I think the vehicle fools the driver into thinking it does this for them. Until it goes into the ditch.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,077,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Because those SUV drivers actually think having an SUV make them impervious to slippery roads

Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM

651 posts, read 858,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Nowadays, ABS helps all cars handle stopping better.

My aveo doesn't have ABS. 2/32nds tires and snow in March. had no problems except getting going.

I think AWD/4WD is worse because I cannot tell how bad the road is. a FWD, the second you step on it a little and feel it slip, you know where you are at grip wise.

I also think that abs does not help much in terms of stopping.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
My aveo doesn't have ABS. 2/32nds tires and snow in March. had no problems except getting going.

I think AWD/4WD is worse because I cannot tell how bad the road is. a FWD, the second you step on it a little and feel it slip, you know where you are at grip wise.

I also think that abs does not help much in terms of stopping.
Drive slow, do stop testing, and then adjust. Good for any driver in the winter in Minnesota.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM

9,674 posts, read 11,030,809 times
The biggest concern is snow CLEARANCE. The best snow tires in the world won't help without the clearance.

AWD is (nearly) a must in hilly areas like Duluth. But in the Twin Cities area, a 2 wheel drive with good clearance is good enough. If you have better tires, then you are really in fantastic shape. 2 wheel drive gets better gas mileage, costs less to buy and isn't as expensive to fix outside of the warranty period.

USUALLY in MN, we don't get all that much snow to warrant the need for AWD. That said, I use to have three AWD's. I will soon be down to one because it is cheaper to just keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul