Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times

Advertisements

I hate to harp on tragedy, but it brings up an interesting point; when has there ever been a random school shooting in a urban high school?
I'm surprised that you can live outside the county (Do Minneapolis cops still have to live inside City Limits?); but I am more surprised that someone makes an hour-long commute. It is kinda hard to have Norman Rockwell time in your backyard when you spend two hours in your car.
As an aside, have you mistaken Minnesotan "insularity" for the midset of suburbia? (I should add that not all suburbs have this mindset, but I have seen many that generally do)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Minnehahapolitan said: "I'm surprised that you can live outside the county (Do Minneapolis cops still have to live inside City Limits?)"; [/quote]

I believe that the "living within city limits" is only a preference on a points-rating system in hiring police officers/ firefighters; e.g. persons that live within the city limits will get preference in hiring but I don't believe there's a rule about having to live there - in fields like firefighting there is so much competition/ shortage of jobs that there are generally applicants from around the country that apply for positions, not sure if police is similar or not.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:46 PM

47 posts, read 141,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I hate to harp on tragedy, but it brings up an interesting point; when has there ever been a random school shooting in a urban high school?
I'm surprised that you can live outside the county (Do Minneapolis cops still have to live inside City Limits?); but I am more surprised that someone makes an hour-long commute. It is kinda hard to have Norman Rockwell time in your backyard when you spend two hours in your car.
As an aside, have you mistaken Minnesotan "insularity" for the midset of suburbia? (I should add that not all suburbs have this mindset, but I have seen many that generally do)
You can work for Hennepin County, and certainly live outside its boundaries. About half the workers, do, some living in Wisconsin, and I think that is terrible. One commented that if there were a residency requirement, then you wouldn't be able to replace the workers due to a lack of talent within the county. Most of the people I've run into at the offices are certainly lacking in good writing, reading, spelling, math, and people skills ability, and they are white. I took her comment as racist and narrow-minded and told her I had to go and catch my bus for my 15 minute commute. I agree with not enjoying that Rockwell existence when you don't have that time with your kids, since you are in your car for two hours. Not to mention selfish. I don't know if the cops and fireman have a residency requirement. (There is such a requirement for local government workers in many East Coast cities). As for insularity, yes, I will agree that much of this insularity comes from the suburbanites. Hell, I even have a sister who moved to a pricier neighborhood in Wilmington, Delaware, and they can't afford it, and pulled their kid from parochial school (three generations having gone to that school in the past) to afford her new mortgage, which many in our family thought was terrible. And, those kids are teenagers. I wouldn't be surprised if they say they can't afford college. I have been to places in Greater Minnesota (I won't call it out state since I deem that offensive, as if they live on Pluto), and they have been more welcoming. I suspect one reason for this aloofness is the relative new wealth of Minnesotans, and it going to their heads. I have some neighbors from Wilmar and some other places farther from here, yet in the state, and they have been very nice and welcoming.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
The term outstate is hardly offensive, it is cemented in local lexicon. I don't think anyone outside The Cities takes it offensively either. I like the old money of the East, but I dno't think Minnesota is necessairily new money. There are a good number of old, wealthy families in alot of places. The Kenwoods, Edinas and Edgcumbres aren't internet millionaires. There is new money, but it gets you a hobby farm in Medina. I believe there to be a statistical correlation between wealth and socialness. Go look at New Orleans and you will know what I mean.
A WASP is Anglo-Saxon. that term precludes any Scandinavians. Minnesota is white, but not WASP white.
Minnesota is becoming more conservative, but I think a large part of that is the influx of people from outside the state. Alot of people come in from the hinterlands in Wisconsin or The Dakotas; they are generally more conservative.
I hadn't heard of anyone trying to shut down Henn. Co. Medical Center.; where did you hear that?
I have always been a big proponent of a contigious City-County government. I would make for better urban planning and a sounder and equalized tax base.
It is one thing to live in suburbia, it is another thing to do so at the expense of your core city. People don't realize it, but the vitality of their individual suburb relies on the vitality of the city it is a satellite of. That is why I can get an exact same house in Oakland County, Mich. for a third of the price of the same house in Washington County. If Minnesota is to maintain its viability we must learn how to plan for our growth. No more roads for exurbs, pay for public transportation (even if you happen not to use it), have a metropolitan Council that has a brain to go with their unwavering spine (I'm talking to you Peter Bell). Other cities are figuring this out. I would hate to see what happens if we don't. I should stop before I get too off-topic.
---Minnehahapolitan

Last edited by Minnehahapolitan; 11-24-2007 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul