U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,768 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the area from New Jersey. We have 3 kids so the school district is important to us as is the neighbor we live in. Looking for an area with young families. We were told about Eden Prairie, Apply Valley, Rosemount and Maple Grove. Is there one area better than the other?I have read a lot about district 196 and 272 and I know these areas fall within these 2 districts. We will be visiting soons for a house hunting tour but we want to spend our time wisely so I'm looking for some suggestions. We are looking for a newer home between 400-500k.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 08:29 AM

97 posts, read 315,138 times
where is your job? eden prairie has the best schools out of the areas you listed but is the priciest. depending on where your job is and how long a commute you are comfortable with will determine the neighborhoods you should be looking at.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,200,506 times
Yeah, if you just want a kid-friendly area with good schools and a new house, you have just described 95% of the metro. Exurban areas, big suburb, small suburb, city neighborhood, new house in an older area? Where do you work? Of those four, I would go with Eden Prairie, Maple Grove, Apple Valley and Rosemont in that order.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,615,034 times
I guess it also depends on what you are looking for in the way of activities/sports/music, etc. for the kids. Eden Prairie is a good school but it is also the largest high school with about 1200/kids/grade. I woudln't put Maple Grove over Distict 196, that would be far down my list. There are better districts that would fall between 196, Eden Prairie and Maple Grove.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,768 times
Thanks for the feedback. I will be working from a home office and commuting into the city about 2 times a week, usually during non-rush hours. My wife is a stay at home mom. We have 3 kids, 12,5 & 2 who are very active in sports. My wife and I are in our mid 30thies and want to live in a younger community. Our top priority is the school system. Sounds like EP is the place to live. Is there a certain section to stay away from? We also saw some great houses in Rosemount. Is this a desirable area as well. Again, thanks for your feedback. This is our first big move and we want to make sure we end up in the right location.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM

400,000 to 500,000 is a good chunk of money in Mpls. the Southwest and West suburbs have more people in your price range, and are generally the most desirable. Eden Prairie is a newer SW suburb. Edina is more expensive, but for a reason. One of the best public school systems in the nation. Hopkins and Minnetonka have similar schools and are in established areas. Lots of families. Rosemount is nice, but is not as wealthy. The schools are good, but not on par with Edina, Hopkins and Mtka. No section of these areas are to be stayed away from in terms of crime or livability. Some of the homes in are showing their age, though.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:24 AM

Rosemount is an excellent choice for schools and activities. District 196 continually tops the state in many areas and rates the top district according to Expansion Magazine, an independent relocation magazine that factors in many things including how healthy the schools are academically/financially, cost of living, education level of the community, etc. Rosemount schools are very much on par with the Minnetonka's, Eden Prairie's and all of the top rated schools in the state seeing as it IS in the top rated district. You will also find a higher percentage of stay at home mom's in the Rosemount area vs Eden Prairie. I can't say enough about the excellent schools here in Rosemount. I was a teacher before we had kids and having attended school in the state in a couple places, teaching in a couple places and now our kids being in school in 3 different districts the schools here a BY FAR the best we have attended. The administration is EXCELLENT which filters down to a happy staff. Financially it is very stable as we are one of the few districts in the state that is NOT seeking an operating levy this year. Heck, the MIDDLE SCHOOL principal went down to the state cross country meet last week to support the boys team that ran--and it was COLD. Academically the teachers are outstanding. When you attend conferences/open houses, etc. you can tell that the teachers LOVE their jobs and are very happy with the work environment. I just can't say enough about how great the schools are here.

Eden Prairie is a nice area, it is one of the most expensive suburbs, the schools are huge and if you want your child to play a sport in high school they pretty much have to be the best of the best because of the size of the schools. You will also find that Eden Prairie is an 'older' community with most of the parents you would encounter probably being 10+ years older then you.

Minnehahapolitan is very anti-suburb so take what he says with a grain of salt.

One great program that Minnesota offers that you will want to take advantage of is our ECFE program, Early Childhood Family Education. It is for families with kids birth to kindergarten. It will be a GREAT way to meet people, especially other stay at home moms for your wife.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 PM

I'm not anti-suburb, I am anti-sprawlsville. There are plenty of nice suburbs. I am quite able to speak for myself. You are very anti-city. I don't undermine your comments by putting words in your mouth when you say somehting about Mpls. It is your opinion, everything anyone says on this forum is taken with a grain of salt. That comment was pretty rude. I wasn't even harping on Rosemount, I just THOUGHT that EP and Mtka. would be better suits. Their districts are widely considered to be the best. Rosemount is not on par with them. Not bad, not even close to bad. Just not in the top 5 of districts.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,508,075 times
There is nothing wrong with the suburbs, its just been proven time and time again that city dwellers are more intelligent and attractive than those residing in the suburbs.

I have the stats to back that up but I cant post them sorry.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I'm not anti-suburb, I am anti-sprawlsville. There are plenty of nice suburbs. I am quite able to speak for myself. You are very anti-city. I don't undermine your comments by putting words in your mouth when you say somehting about Mpls. It is your opinion, everything anyone says on this forum is taken with a grain of salt. That comment was pretty rude. I wasn't even harping on Rosemount, I just THOUGHT that EP and Mtka. would be better suits. Their districts are widely considered to be the best. Rosemount is not on par with them. Not bad, not even close to bad. Just not in the top 5 of districts.

Every study, survey and whatever I find ranks District 196 at the top in MN and one of the top in the nation so how is it possible that it isn't top 5? The district tops the state in ACT scores for college bound students and ranks in the top 5 in the nation for SAT scores. I also have personal experience in the district and can attest to the great schools here. You seem to equate 'good' schools with 'wealthy' areas since the schools you rattle off are the most expensive communities in the state. I am not saying they aren't great schools but there are other school districts that rank higher then Minnetonka and Hopkins, EP is typically in the top 2 or 3 as is Mounds View.

As for taking your anti-suburban sentiments with a grain of salt, that is exactly what people that WANT to live in the suburbs should do because you give them such a negative look and it just isn't true. I am not anti-city, I don't believe that the inner city Minneapolis or St. Paul schools come close to the quality of education one receives in the suburban schools, that is a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul