Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times

Advertisements

I was hoping with West Nile they would be under control. Most of the time I've lived here, it is the itchiness of their bites that was annoying. Then something helped West Nile move into the country. Now some skeeters can make you sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Funny. This doesn't jibe with my experience this summer. Maybe I'm just avoiding the times and places where the clouds of bugs are hanging out?

Quote:
ST. PAUL — The Twin Cities metropolitan area is suffering through a mosquito population explosion.
Minnesota Public Radio reports (Metro mosquitoes triple 10-year norm | Minnesota Public Radio News ) the mosquito population this week is double the 10-year average.
Officials with the Metropolitan Mosquito Control District say the rainy, cold spring led spring and summer species of mosquitoes to arrive right on top of each other, causing a big surge in mid-June.
Right now, Minnesota is getting the “cattail mosquito,” a particularly aggressive strain that hatches in cattail swamps and usually peaks around July 4.
Of the 51 species in Minnesota, Mosquito Control focuses on the ones that bite people and carry disease.
A metro area homeowner with a house valued at $250,000 pays about $13 a year for mosquito control. But outside the seven-county metro area, Minnesotans brave mosquitoes on their own.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Funny. This doesn't jibe with my experience this summer. Maybe I'm just avoiding the times and places where the clouds of bugs are hanging out?
You must be lucky--the skeeters are BAD this year....actually, I don't know that they are "bad" vs we just haven't had them around much the past 5 years or so. I was out in my yard doing some work at about 6:00 last night and had to come in because they were everywhere. Saturday night we were out at some friends and even with 3M Ultrathon--mega bug spray, they were finding every inch that you may have missed with the spray.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You must be lucky--the skeeters are BAD this year....actually, I don't know that they are "bad" vs we just haven't had them around much the past 5 years or so. I was out in my yard doing some work at about 6:00 last night and had to come in because they were everywhere. Saturday night we were out at some friends and even with 3M Ultrathon--mega bug spray, they were finding every inch that you may have missed with the spray.
Someone needs to invent a body wash that repels bugs. Taking a bug repellent shower might be the one way to keep from getting bit.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Sadly, these aren't the only skeeters we have to worry about anymore. As if they weren't bad enough, the following three minute YouTube video (not mine) is a reality and not science fiction.

Mosquito Robots Collecting DNA and Blood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul