Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Lakeville has some tough decisions to make since their entire referendum did not pass. Hopefully it doesn't make too much of an impact on the district but there are some serious cuts coming down the line. I think voters in Lakeville have just been asked to do too much lately with all the new school buildings, which is unfortunate because Lakeville is only going to continue to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
Building enough school rooms to house the influx of school-aged children is not asking people to do too much, it is building the basic infrastructure of the community. They should have been saving over the dozen years they were told they needed a new high school. When you don't build, you get 40 kids in a classroom. It is especially ironic because, in addition to its "conservative values", the reason most people move to Lakeville is the good schools. Keep failing referendums Lkvl., and see what happens.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM

111 posts, read 392,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim825 View Post
I SO agree with AVguy. We moved to Lakeville specifically for the conservative values of the community. We love this about Lakeville and the schools. I don't know that it's more "religious" than other areas. I don't think being conservative always goes along with "religious" but anyway.... We love Lakeville. The parents we've met in our schools are so involved, responsible and the expectations for our kids are high. Good behavior and respect are huge for parents here. In most cases, kids are not given everything under the sun and responsible spending is valued here. We lived in Shakopee and Savage prior to this and Lakeville has a very evident community feel compared to the other places we've lived. Good luck!

Thanks for your inside information. I didn't mean to say the conservative and religous were the same person, just used them in the same question, sorry for the confusion. I very much want strong family values in my community, it is sorely lacking where I am living now and it shows in many areas. I work at the elementary school and it is so sad and unfortunate the cards these kids have been dealt. Thanks again.

To all that have taken the time to give their opinions, I really appreciate it and think that I have some great feedback to go off of. I have given the whole thing more thought this weekend and think that probably the most important thing for me is good schools, good people (preferably accepting in nature) and a nice area for my kids to grow up. I can pretty much get along with anyone, I just hope to have the chance. We'll see if I make it to MN.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,627 times
Default Conservative and Religious?

As a 10-year resident of Lakeville, I can tell you that there is a certain wave of conservatism here. We struggle to pass education referendums and certain groups of people tend to be rather shortsighted in planning for the community's long-term growth. Unfortunately, they tend to be the activists. There are plenty of people who wanted to see the recent referenda pass and it was close. The city's commercial areas have been divided up so that we are spread out from the Farmington border on the east to the Prior Lake border on the west to the Burnsville on the north. It makes it difficult for a restaurant like Copper Bleu to survive when location is difficult to nail down before the commercial districts being so spread out. Lakeville is very different from Apple Valley, which has a very centralized commercial district, where restaurants at least have a chance because they can become a group to draw customers.

As for the religious thing, I am not sure what the problem is. I don't believe anyone in LV, at least that I am aware of, is somehow discriminated against for not attending church or having certain beliefs. But maybe that's just off my radar.

The schools have traditionally been top-notch and the sports programs are important. My daughter plays in the softball and basketball programs and both are pretty well run and draw lots of kids and supportive parents. Likewise for my son in the boys sports programs.

All-in-all, LV is a fairly typical suburban area with a lot to offer. It's growing and gives kids and adults the chance to participate and to make a difference if they wish.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM

111 posts, read 392,376 times
Thanks Lakeville Resident! I really appreciate your honest input, so many try to make their town sound so nice and rosey, it helps to hear from a longtime resident about the good and the bad of their town. Your info has been very helpful.

If we get the chance to transfer there, I may now check out AV & Northfield. Any other surrounding cities anyone can give input on? How about Prior Lake? Golfgal gave me info on Hastings and told me Northfield is nice and of course she likes Rosemount, which isn't out of the question. I think I am an information junkie!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 24,021 times
Default lived in Lakeville for 18 years.

I thought it was interested that you were moving to Lakeville. I grew up there and for your daughters this is a great place to raise kids. I am know 26 years old and really do think that the education and sports in the public schools were wonderful with many opporunities. For example, Lakeville High School Girls Varisity Basketball has a great program with many 4-A state titles. As for clogging, which is rare to find, there is a group that practices at Pat Peare School of Dance in Eagan called the Wild Rose Cloggers. I was a part of this group years ago, and I think they still do performing. The city has changed dramistrally since I moved away to Northern MN almost ten years, but I know this suburb has become more of a "yuppyville". I would never move back now because it is like any surburb, full of cookie cutter houses and every thing uniform. Lakeville is growing, although most of your shopping will probably be done in Bloomington at the Mall of America or Burnsville Center. Lakeville does have many city parks and bike trails, but will eventually have no green spaces since it is developing like crazy. As for religion, most people are Catholics and Lutherns and I don't follow politics anyhow.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:38 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,252 times
Contrary to what some people believe (not pointing to anyone specifically on this thread), it is possible to be both religious and liberal. I am both and I live in Minneapolis. We have churches here too! They may be more likely to promote the same-sex weddings they've performed and blatant about opening their doors to all, but they're still churches. And they're filled with proud liberal city dwellers like me.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:57 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,761,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfog55372 View Post
Please don't insult our homes and communities.
but I like insulting your homes and communities

and yes, Lakeville is more conservative. Bloomington is a pretty liberal suburb.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,587 times
AV has 2 HS AVHS and Eastview both nationally recognized in academics and sports. Yes, some people are into material things like all areas but you have plenty of caring people in MN. Our Mayor is wonderful. We are christians and are active at a local Lutheran Church and find so many people have similar lifestyles. You will find that most Minnesotians are not in your face people who shove anything down your throat. We care about our neighbors and have a Minnesota Nice reputation. Hope this helps.....

Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,601 times
Hi there

I've been to Seattle, and have friends in Seattle. I *also* live in the Lakeville school district, but not in Lakeville proper.

Compared to Seattle, yes - Lakeville is conservative and slightly religious. Compared to Minnesota in general, I'd say that's true as well - but more liberal than other areas. The question you're asking is *extremely* relative in nature.

To say that our family is non-traditional would be an understatement, but pm me for details if you so choose . That being said, we've navigated the school district and the community pretty successfully. We've made friends, been involved in the community, etc. At times I found myself expecting stereotypical reactions and found open-mindedness.

We moved into this community from St. Paul partly by accident, but also because of the school district - the longer we've been here, the happier we've been for the most part. To say that we've had zero problems would be living in a fantasy world, but the problems we've had, I do believe we'd had regardless of family or religious background...and the problems that we've had were worked out successfully through solid, direct, and consistent communication.

I hope this helps.

MFD

PS - and as far as clogging and dancing - what type? *chuckle* there are LOTS of dance programs around here. I'm an Irish musician - and in the southern metro area there are a couple of Irish dance schools that offer Irish step dance, there's a regular dance school that offers Irish dance lessons, there's another regular dance school that also offers bellydancing, salsa, soon to offer Classical Indian Dance, and Irish if she can find an instructor...Then there's Tapestry up in Minneapolis that has all sorts of cultural dance offerings. For kids there's also Northern Lights which is a Morris Dance side for kids - I believe there are also clogging lessons up through them - there is also Scottish dancing lessons through one of the Scottish interest groups...and I could go on and on and on

Last edited by mnfiddledragon; 07-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: add info on dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul