Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,396,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
We need golfgal back.
I've NEVER understood this line of reasoning from people on the wonderful world of Internet. It's really quite simple for you and like-minded folks like you: if you don't like a thread or are tired of reading it, don't read it and/or turn off notifications of said thread.

Last edited by Govie; 11-16-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,547,591 times
Do we even have a moderator?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,742,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Oh no, we don't.
No relation I take it.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,696,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We're an interracial family and transplants, and we have never experienced anything along these lines. I am not at all questioning your experiences but just saying they're not universal.
I understand, and I should also note the bulk of the negative experiences occurred during the 90's-- when the Twin Cities was much less diverse than today. However when I am around the metro area, I still have these kinds of encounters from time to time. Minneapolis isn't as bad, but I don't expect most people to be well-informed.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 PM

132 posts, read 242,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
This was my experience, too. I was treated as a "person of color" who people couldn't figure it out. To this day, I still get the sense if you aren't a Mexican, black, white, or Hmong, you're an oddity. I have had complete strangers approach me with airs about where I was born, what's my nationality, and why is my English so good. Yeah, these were all Twin Cities metro area people. I even had someone ask me why I was here, living in Minnesota, during a job interview! I'm going to chalk it up to her being an older lady, so she got a pass but it was still absurd.

It did suck to grow up here. You'd think with how "progressive" the Twin Cities area is that the children of interracial couples wouldn't be ogled like animals or get treated like exotic pets, but they still do. It's just so strange.

Go on meetup and a lot of the people who join the groups and are transplants report how difficult it is to get to know people. Everyone seems to function in very insular groups, and while they certainly have manners, are polite and helpful to strangers, they aren't entirely interested in getting to know beyond what's familiar. In some sense, that is snobby.
I'm not even a person of color, just another white blonde, and I found it to be the most difficult city to meet people. In fact, I've been offered good jobs there, and it's the one city I'd never live in again. I had fun and I dated, I made the best of it, but the Twin Cities are odd places. I dated guys who were born and raised there, and that helped a bit, but overall, not so much. Weird, unfriendly place to live. Seattle has the Seattle freeze thing going, and that's not an exaggeration, but I preferred Seattle to Mpls for sure. Mpls is still a midwestern state with a lot of the conservative values in place regardless of how "progressive" it is or gets to be, and there are some great things about it, but for me, it's now been relegated to the list of states I prefer to fly over.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,219,215 times
I find it very ironic that the person who claims so strongly that Minneapolis residents are snobby is one of the few posting in this thread whose personal profile blocks access: "Sorry, Cleverfield profile is accessible only for friends". I'll stop short of accusing that of being snobby and exclusionary, though. Each of us can decide individually. Pot and kettle meet again IMO.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,742,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I understand, and I should also note the bulk of the negative experiences occurred during the 90's-- when the Twin Cities was much less diverse than today. However when I am around the metro area, I still have these kinds of encounters from time to time.
Yes, I suppose the fact that this occurred 20 or 25 years ago would have been relevant.

Quote:
Minneapolis isn't as bad, but I don't expect most people to be well-informed.
I can't even imagine what this is supposed to mean.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,785,424 times
I grew up in Minneapolis in the '80s and many of my friends had parents of different races. In fact, this city was known as a place that was more open to interracial couples and families than most parts of the country (this at a time when it was outright illegal in some parts of the United States). I guess I just find it hard to believe that in the '90s it would have been all that unusual or noteworthy to be a biracial kid in Minneapolis. It certainly is not today.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM

198 posts, read 260,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I grew up in Minneapolis in the '80s and many of my friends had parents of different races. In fact, this city was known as a place that was more open to interracial couples and families than most parts of the country (this at a time when it was outright illegal in some parts of the United States). I guess I just find it hard to believe that in the '90s it would have been all that unusual or noteworthy to be a biracial kid in Minneapolis. It certainly is not today.
Yeah.. Personally I don't see Minneapolis as segregated at all. I haven't lived anywhere else except the South so I can't label places which I've just visited on vacation or business. The south has much more racism, seriously.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM

198 posts, read 260,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Sorry "dude" but having friends from Cleveland doesn't mean you know anything about the city. We have things here that Minneapolis can only dream of having. Cleveland has class that Minneapolis will never be able to replicate. Yes, Minneapolis has the better economy, blah blah blah. Cleveland is a city built with a magnificence that only those who truly know her understand. Take a look at the Old Arcade, do a google search. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Cleveland may be shrouded with layers of grit and fog, but underneath it lies a golden city, a city that had ambitions and dreams that could rival New York City. Those dreams were crushed by the great depression, but their mark on the city remains, shrouded with the mystery of a bygone era, but ostensibly connected to the heart and the will of the city itself. People who know only what they see on TV or read about in magazines like Forbes find it easy to dismiss Cleveland as a run down dump. What these ignorant people miss, like those who only see a person's scars, wrinkles and blemishes, but not their heart or their soul, is the blood that truly runs in the veins of every Clevelander, the heart that beats for the city with the big, mighty, splendid soul whose fortunes were crossed in another era. And as the city rises, and as it makes the top lists in the magazines, what they'll continue to miss is how we are rebuilding around the same soul that they mocked.
Well done, well done! You should be a poet
And you told us we were snobby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul