Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 AM
 
2,588 posts, read 2,097,856 times
Reputation: 5701

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Excellent post. I am consistently surprised at just how undervalued / under appreciated the TC are by people from other regions. Almost always it's by people who have zero first hand experience in MN, they have a myth-based vision of it as a forever-arctic place of icicles and barren suffering. Often these opinions are expressed by some really provincial people who think that their city is more sophisticated.
Probably true for most places, I would guess.

Having lived in two West Coast major metros, I heard all the time about how unsophisticated, barren and cold the upper Mid-Flyover country is (I am tempted to count those from NYC in this as I heard it a lot more than I would have guessed from NYC transplants to L.A., where seemed very unhappy about the move and were constantly whining about how L.A. just was not NYC ... seemed obvious to me). But I never heard that from the folks who had visited, expect those who visited in the winter (they are right, it is cold here in January).

But I have heard people who have never left their county in rural Minnesota and those who grew and stayed in the Twin Cities and have never visited southern California, Seattle, Texas or NYC make claims about those areas based on media stereotypes and the like (I'm looking at you, Coen bothers!).

You're right, it is provincialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,587,575 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Excellent post. I am consistently surprised at just how undervalued / under appreciated the TC are by people from other regions. Almost always it's by people who have zero first hand experience in MN, they have a myth-based vision of it as a forever-arctic place of icicles and barren suffering. Often these opinions are expressed by some really provincial people who think that their city is more sophisticated.
It honestly doesn't matter what people from other regions think of us, it's not like anyone from the Twin Cities hasn't said something ignorant about other regions.... i think Minnesotans have a hard time grasping the fact that no one really cares about us and we live in a pretty insignificant place. and that is fine, i don't expect someone from California or New York to know much about MN considering we really are just some random midwestern state.

and this isn't a bad thing btw, its cool to live in a quiet/insignificant place most people haven't heard of.

It does get a little embarrassing how some Minnesotans try to desperately get attention to our state and we get so amused those few moments when we do get national attention, like when we sent KARE 11 news to report live in Hollywood because someone from the state was on the Voice, everyone cheered for him even though he was a pretty bad signer honestly... don't get me started on the obsession with the movie Fargo.... if that movie had the same plot but taken place in lets say Michigan most likely no one hear would of heard of that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,766 posts, read 29,236,308 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It honestly doesn't matter what people from other regions think of us, it's not like anyone from the Twin Cities hasn't said something ignorant about other regions.... i think Minnesotans have a hard time grasping the fact that no one really cares about us and we live in a pretty insignificant place. and that is fine, i don't expect someone from California or New York to know much about MN considering we really are just some random midwestern state.

and this isn't a bad thing btw, its cool to live in a quiet/insignificant place most people haven't heard of.

It does get a little embarrassing how some Minnesotans try to desperately get attention to our state and we get so amused those few moments when we do get national attention, like when we sent KARE 11 news to report live in Hollywood because someone from the state was on the Voice, everyone cheered for him even though he was a pretty bad signer honestly... don't get me started on the obsession with the movie Fargo.... if that movie had the same plot but taken place in lets say Michigan most likely no one hear would of heard of that movie.
for a guy that takes such an interest on the world forums about their perceptions of the US, this comes off as quite funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,587,575 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
for a guy that takes such an interest on the world forums about their perceptions of the US, this comes off as quite funny
My only job in the world forum is to remind those foreigners whose boss..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,766 posts, read 29,236,308 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
My only job in the world forum is to remind those foreigners whose boss..
oh, I see

how provincial of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
 
1,051 posts, read 1,707,885 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It honestly doesn't matter what people from other regions think of us, it's not like anyone from the Twin Cities hasn't said something ignorant about other regions.... i think Minnesotans have a hard time grasping the fact that no one really cares about us and we live in a pretty insignificant place. and that is fine, i don't expect someone from California or New York to know much about MN considering we really are just some random midwestern state.

and this isn't a bad thing btw, its cool to live in a quiet/insignificant place most people haven't heard of.

It does get a little embarrassing how some Minnesotans try to desperately get attention to our state and we get so amused those few moments when we do get national attention, like when we sent KARE 11 news to report live in Hollywood because someone from the state was on the Voice, everyone cheered for him even though he was a pretty bad signer honestly... don't get me started on the obsession with the movie Fargo.... if that movie had the same plot but taken place in lets say Michigan most likely no one hear would of heard of that movie.
I live in Texas now and was referring to folks here. Minnesotans are equally under informed about the realities of life here in the Lone Star state, honestly.

I agree that living somewhere underrated is preferable to living somewhere that is a "media darling" or potentially overhyped. I lived in Austin, TX for many years. It's a great city, but it gets way too much attention and esteem, IMO. I personally love the Coen brothers' work, so I wouldn't care two figs if they were from MI instead of MN, but I admit that I take a certain pride in MN's long history of impressive artists: Bob Dylan, Prince, The Replacements, the Coen brothers, etc. But the most ironic thing is that all but Prince moved away as soon as they could afford to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
 
1,774 posts, read 2,321,821 times
Reputation: 2710
I think Prince thrives on isolation. It's not like he spends a lot of time out and about in Minnesota. He is just holed up in his compound out in Chanhasseen. As far as I know the Replacements live in Edina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,766 posts, read 29,236,308 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I think Prince thrives on isolation. It's not like he spends a lot of time out and about in Minnesota. He is just holed up in his compound out in Chanhasseen. As far as I know the Replacements live in Edina.
Dylan maintains a hobby farm in NW Hennepin Co., near Hanover and until his mom died a few years ago, reportedly spent a lot of time there.

here he is planting a bush...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hanov...esota&t=h&z=21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 03:06 PM
 
1,051 posts, read 1,707,885 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I think Prince thrives on isolation. It's not like he spends a lot of time out and about in Minnesota. He is just holed up in his compound out in Chanhasseen. As far as I know the Replacements live in Edina.
I think you're right about Prince. The 'Mats are spread out, but I see now that I incorrectly was under the impression that Westerberg lived somewhere in California. I saw him at the (old) Guthrie some years ago and thought he'd mentioned living away from MPLS. Reading up a bit on him, it looks like he does live in Edina. Tommy Stinson has lived in LA for a while, playing with GnR. I also hadn't realized that the DJ Mary Lucia from the Current is Paul's sister.

Dylan's pretty much severed his ties with MN. I have many friends that grew up with him and I knew his brother pretty well. When he recently played in Duluth he made one quip about being born in the hospital up on the hill, but it wasn't exactly a "it's great to be home" vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,766 posts, read 29,236,308 times
Reputation: 37337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
...Dylan's pretty much severed his ties with MN. I have many friends that grew up with him and I knew his brother pretty well. When he recently played in Duluth he made one quip about being born in the hospital up on the hill, but it wasn't exactly a "it's great to be home" vibe.
I was at that concert and he was quite animated and made several other "quips" one about his girlfriend Mimi and was obviously enjoying the time on stage in his hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top