Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM

43 posts, read 89,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyformajorchange View Post
What is DFW?
Dallas-Fort Worth megaplex of nearly 7-million people in North Texas. DFW is just the short abbreviation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 PM

74 posts, read 119,616 times
Ok, I read both of the articles and 2 things stuck out to me. No liquor sale on Sunday, ha not a problem! I don't drink daily but do keep a well stocked liquor cabinet of wines and hard liquors for when I do or for company. So absolutely no problem there.
The one about the jobs struck me because here it is the opposite. In Marrero you will rarely find a white person working in say, the cable company, the post office, the gas company....etc. Whites typically have to drive to New Orleans for employment because here they hire minority 95% of the time. Every area is going to have its problems.
We do well here financially but we are treated as outsiders even though we were born and raised here. Most of our friends and family have left when the crime spiked as high as it has. I am ready to follow.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:11 PM

651 posts, read 865,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
When it comes to buying high-end, image oriented products, I think you a little off in ranking the Twin Cities high on the list. The Twin Cities are well-known for being very laid-back and casual. Given the high average incomes of the Twin Cities, luxury retailers thought they'd do really well here. Well, let's see, Bloomingdales, Saks 5th Avenue and Neiman Marcus have all closed, because there weren't enough "snobby", image-dependant Twin Citians. I think Dallas and Atlanta are better examples of what you're describing.

I honestly think a lot of people in MN are very snobby.

Definition
1. One who tends to patronize, rebuff, or ignore people regarded as social inferiors and imitate, admire, or seek association with people regarded as social superiors.
2. One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect.

While I don't think MN is nearly as snobby as Los Angeles (I lived there as well) I do think Minneapolis is a Snobby city.

Over the years I lived there I mainly have lived on the west side of the city. The cities I would be involved with were mainly Minnetonka/Hopkins/Eden Prairie/Edina since I lived right in between them all.

What I mean about them being Snobby is perhaps their heritage/background/culture of the city. I think the city is all a facade of "Minnesota Nice". I don't personally have anything against the people that live there, but I don't know (really know) a single Neighbor in the neighborhood my parents live in when I grew up there. We have been in the house for 27 years now. All I know about our neighbors is the one across the street is a lawyer and drives audi's and volvo's, blew up his John Deere Tractor, and talks about vacations and sending his kids to Germany for overseas schooling.

My other neighbor is a surgeon. He drives different cars every few years. His current flavor is a M5 and a BMW roadster.

No one dares to talk politics/religion or anything of any substance because appearently that is a voodoo topic. Seems like their professions and schooling has defined their life by speaking with them. We have a newer family who moved in and eventually had kids. They purchased the Range Rover and all the high end strollers, etc for their kids. The majority of the block drives ranger rovers, volvos, audi's except my parents who are frugal and have lived there the longest.

My dad's friends work at the R&D of General Mills and most are retired. They talk about what they purchase and how anyone could like my dads 1989 suburban which is old, why would anyone want to drive that? (Its a really nice well kept truck). They have the best, newest LUND boats and Chevrolet or Ford pick up to tow it with.

The crap is never ending. My mom is a school teacher on her last year probably who teaches at Minnetonka high school, yea. One word UGG boots.

The trends of kids and parents in MN are driven by what is accepted in the MN culture whether its buying a boat, truck, clothes, boots, shoes, or the best fishing reel available. It's snobby because they do the same thing LA does, just about different crap. I mean let's get real, I like MN for the way its spreadout for a big city, but traffic and the weather is horrid. Yet, every person in MN will defend its state that it is the best place to live bar none. Get over it peeps.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 AM

74 posts, read 119,616 times
Is the snobby attitudes a Minneapolis thing or a Minnesota thing?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM

6,346 posts, read 11,125,861 times
A number of factors come into play when it comes to making a place attractive to a company that wants to start up or relocate. Low Taxes of course are a high priority. Also the availability of a workforce that has the skills that the employer is looking for. And mass transit or the highway system is going to be something that many employers will look at and of course the availability of a suitable property either existing or one that can be built to suit the employer. And lastly, the proximity to the markets a business will serve is important.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM

416 posts, read 561,701 times
Minnesotans are not snobby - there is a difference between snobby and reserved/reluctant/reticent, etc. Los Angeles can be incredibly snobby - but people are also incredibly accessible since it's city of transplants with fresh blood every year. Mainly at parties.

Minnesotans from my experience don't show any kind of superiority or patronization. This is where Icicles contradicts him/herself above. There is a difference between not engaging or being superficial because you don't want to be overly personal and not engaging because you consider yourself superior. Minnesotans are the former, not the latter. If it's one thing I have never felt in MN it's a sense of being looked down upon - I'm sure there are people who feel that way inside, but they don't show it. Some people may feel stifled by that (anyone from the east coast) but it is also a form of respect and egalitarianism, the opposite of snobby.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTDatx View Post
I think I'll be in Texas for the long haul.
LOL. You can keep TX. As a black male I am excited to move back to MN. Look it's also a chicken and egg thing - you have to have a community to start with to attract others. MN simply does not have that as part of its history so of course AAs are not drawn there. Of course there are larger communities in the south. That's historical. You don't mention that what IS historical about MN is bringing over East African and Southeast Asian immigrants as well as the huge amount of korean adoptees. Mpls has the largest Hmong community in the US and an extraordinarily large East African community. So large that they certainly seem to dwarf the AAs in terms of visibility. Since there's a historical foundation there, of course those communities continue to grow and attract more immigrants.

I also don't think white Minnesotans are any different from any other people in upper middle class bracket. Upper middle class and higher DON'T as a general rule interact with the poor unless the geography forces them to. No matter where you are in the world. But MN has a strong history of providing great services for the least among them. Not perfect, but a HECK of a lot better than many states. I don't care how huge the AA community may be there are some states that have made their priorities clear when it comes to the have nots and other issues.

And yeah I'm talking about Texas.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM

25,877 posts, read 16,588,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
Travel and Leisure Magazine just released another one of their survey's; this one ranked the "Top 35 Snobbiest Cities in the United States". Minneapolis and St. Paul ranked as the 4th snobbiest in the US only surpassed by: San Francisco at #1; New York at #2; and Boston at #3. Santa Fe, NM and Seattle were tied at 5th place. Los Angeles ranked #16 in this survey.

When I was viewing one of the local morning news programs and they were discussing this story, one of the on-air personalities, of whom I know has worked in several other television markets prior to working in the Twin Cities, said on-camera, finally after six-and-a-half-years one of my neighbors finally waved to me. With that being stated, let the discussion begin.
What a ridiculous survey.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM

25,877 posts, read 16,588,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Leave St. Paul out of this.... Minneapolis is the snobby city.
I don't think I would call them snobby. I think Minneapolis is a wannabee major league city.

And they make really stupid decisions, like outdoor only baseball fields and indoor only NFL football fields.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 07-15-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Mmm this is getting off topic. This is where that reserved Minnesota Nice would come in real handy.

So, how boat that snobby weather there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul