Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Harumph...you do realize that this was put forth by 'Travel & Leisure Magazine' don't you, hardly up there with 'Conde Nast' or 'Yachting World' and in coming in at #4, not even much of a compliment at all.
No I did not. I read NatGeo Traveler. I barely read Conde Nast. I've never heard of Yachting World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm just asking a question. It would help to make a better assessment of things.
And I was trying to be funny.

I don't find the Twin Cities particularly snobby, not that there is an objective definition of 'snobby' to begin with. I also never take much stock in unscientific rankings. One day a place can be on the top-10 best places to live and tomorrow on the worst list.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM

480 posts, read 844,905 times
Quote:
Harumph...you do realize that this was put forth by 'Travel & Leisure Magazine' don't you, hardly up there with 'Conde Nast' or 'Yachting World' and in coming in at #4, not even much of a compliment at all.
Hm. Isn't that kind of a snobby thing to say? ;-)

Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Hm. Isn't that kind of a snobby thing to say? ;-)
whyyyyyy...thank-ew

Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 PM

480 posts, read 844,905 times
Quote:
whyyyyyy...thank-ew
LOL... With all the challenges we have, just the thought that anyone out there is ranking snobbiness is a little sad... But I guess it's true... them highfalutin ways will catch up with you. :-)

Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
And I was trying to be funny.

I don't find the Twin Cities particularly snobby, not that there is an objective definition of 'snobby' to begin with. I also never take much stock in unscientific rankings. One day a place can be on the top-10 best places to live and tomorrow on the worst list.
I'm humor-challenged.

I would never suspect the Twin Cities to be snobby. If anything, I might make that assessment about NYC, Boston, or Marin County,CA.

I don't think there is a scientific way to put snobby. To me, snobby is about arrogance.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm humor-challenged.

I would never suspect the Twin Cities to be snobby. If anything, I might make that assessment about NYC, Boston, or Marin County,CA.

I don't think there is a scientific way to put snobby. To me, snobby is about arrogance.
I'd figure people identify or observe snobbishness in many different ways, so it would be near impossible to measure it. They're probably running out of things to rank.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Snobby to me is a feeling of superiority. Minnesota Nice comes across as passive aggressive and non-warm sometimes but I don't think the underlying reason is that Minnesotans think they are better than others.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,496 times
I am a bonafide snob and so is my grandmother. Most minnesotans aren't snobby like my grandma. However, there is an underlying current of Minnesota nice smugness which is hard to avoid.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Why does everybody assume Minnesotans aren't really nice? They are! They're just also sometimes mean, and THAT's what they're passive aggressive about. They (we) don't necessarily outwardly portray anger or attitude (or smugness) in situations where others may think it's appropriate or necessary, and people don't like it when somebody looks clearly angry but is all smiles and sunshine at the surface, only to talk trash about you behind your back.

As annoying as that can be, it's a lot better than places where people aren't nice or good to one-another, AND they show it.

As far as smugness goes there's this other belief that Minnesotans think they're better than everybody else. I'm not sure that's it so much, since by their very nature most Minnesotans are extremely humble, but rather I think it's that most people think Minnesota is inferior and Minnesotans have an attitude of indifference about those people and their opinions that generally goes something like "I know something you don't know". It has less to do with knowing more or being smug, and has more to do with looking down on others who are being naive. Still not an admirable trait, but very very different than being downright smug (which I cannot stand!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul