Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 03:28 PM

198 posts, read 258,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I find the Minneapolis-St.Paul area isn't snobby, but very insular and somewhat provincial. I've lived here for a very long time.

People in the Twin Cities (and MN in general) seem to have a hard time seeing beyond their own borders. There is more to life and the world than what they experience. Their experiences are not the same as everyone else's, and I think that is the "snobby" part. This can explain why people aren't open to newcomers and getting to know them. They're polite, but when it comes to opening up or reaching out, they prefer to be cliquish. A lot of people who are not native Minnesotans have noticed the same thing.

Since we're talking culturally, is this a Scandinavian or German thing? Whatever happened to the idea of community and fostering a sense of belonging?
I think it's a Scandinavian thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 04:33 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,679,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Yeah, it's probably better than average with regard to that stuff. I was referring more to the overwhelmingly "white" culture there. People don't seem to hold onto their heritage much there, which makes the cities seem bland and suburban.
Our friend here, the self-proclaimed authority on all things Minnesotan, has clearly never celebrated Oktoberfest at Black Forest or Gasthof in NE, nor Cinco de Mayo on E. Lake or in St. Paul, or St Patrick's Day in St Paul, or the Lunar New Year with the Hmong, nor stood in Line outside Ingrbretsen's on a cold Christmas Eve morning, after having celebrated Santa Lucia Day at a certain south Minneapolis church two weeks earlier, nor does it seem that he's seen the water towers of Lindstrom, one decorated as a Swedish flag and the other proclaiming "Valkommen till Lindstrom." I'm sure there are many other ways our friend hasn't seen Minnesotans celebrate their ethnic heritage -- those are the ones off the top of my head-- but then that's to be expected. After all, our friend is not from Minnesota, he's from Cleveland!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:37 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,102,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Our friend here has clearly never celebrated Oktoberfest at Black Forest or Gasthof in NE, nor Cinco de Mayo on E. Lake or in St. Paul, or St Patrick's Day in St Paul, or the Lunar New Year with the Hmong, nor stood in Line outside Ingrbretsen's on a cold Christmas Eve morning, after having celebrated Santa Lucia Day at a certain south Minneapolis church two weeks earlier, nor does it seem that he's seen the water towers of Lindstrom, one decorated as a Swedish flag and the other proclaiming "Valkommen till Lindstrom." I'm sure there are many other ways our friend hasn't seen Minnesotans celebrate their ethnic heritage -- those are the ones off the top of my head-- but then that's to be expected. After all, our friend is not from Minnesota, he's from Cleveland!
As I said earlier, I'm sure not everyone has forsaken their heritage, but the majority have, giving Minneapolis a generally, though not entirely, bland, monolithic feel culturally.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
As I said earlier, I'm sure not everyone has forsaken their heritage, but the majority have, giving Minneapolis a generally, though not entirely, bland, monolithic feel culturally.
That is simply an unsupported assertion. It's based on nothing. You live over 800 miles from here so excuse us if we discount your knowledge and put zero weight on what you say. Now put up some data to back your claim or go away. Or are you just another troll?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,102,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
That is simply an unsupported assertion. It's based on nothing. You live over 800 miles from here so excuse us if we discount your knowledge and put zero weight on what you say. Now put up some data to back your claim or go away. Or are you just another troll?
Hmm. Well, it's hard to find stats demonstrating how closely people hold onto their culture, but your fellow Minneapolitans on this forum seem to agree with me.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,677,342 times
I live in Minneapolis. I think it's pretty unfair to suggest that it's bland and monolithic. Take a walk or ride up Lake Street sometime, or along Nicollet Avenue; you'll see everything from Mexican bakeries to halal markets to Asian supermarkets. And as mentioned, places like Ingebretsen's are going strong, while organizations like the American Swedish Institute are doing brisk business in both their more traditional "Nordic" fare (Swedish, but also Finnish, Norwegian, etc.) as well as looking at the modern Twin Cities immigrant experience. There aren't as many ethnic enclaves in the same way that exist in some cities, but that doesn't mean there's not lots of different cultures around. And if looking for something specifically Scandinavian, there are more Lutheran churches here than anywhere else we've lived, and many of them will start to advertise their lutefisk dinners soon.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,172,187 times
In addition to Nicollet and Lake Streets, there are also ethnically diverse businesses on Central Avenue, University Avenue and the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood. Midtown Global Market featuring diverse retail and restaurant offerings representing ethnicities from all over the world is also popular. Mu Performing Arts is the 3rd largest Asian theater group in the nation. St. Paul's Penumbra is one of the largest black theater ensembles in the nation. St. Paul has also started the Little Mekong Street Market. There is a significant Somali population and a Somali person was elected to the Minneapolis City Council recently. There is also a Mexican and an Asian person on the council. Minneapolis' first female mayor (about a decade or so ago) Sharon Sayles Belton, was black.

The American Indian Movement has its headquarters in Minneapolis and was instrumental in influencing the Minneapolis City Council to change "Columbus Day" to "Indigenous People's Day". Whether one agrees with that or not, it simply would not happen in a closed, provincial, insular community. There may be some provincial people here and there, but that is the case in almost any city. The community is welcoming and tolerant for the most part.

The Minneapolis light rail has signs in four different languages. That would not even be conceivable in a provincial, insular community. Congressman Keith Ellison is a black Muslim; the first to be elected in the US and Minneapolis comprises most of his district. I could go on, but obviously someone from 800 miles away who has spent very little time in the area simply is making wild guesses/potshots that happen to be wrong. I also live far away from Minneapolis now; the difference is I am presenting actual facts and information. Anyways, none of these would likely happen in a provincial and insular area.

Scandinavian restaurants are probably outnumbered now by any other ethnic food (including Indian and Thai!) in the Minneapolis area. Hence, one has to go to a church, Ingebretsen's or the American Swedish Institute's cafe for that. LOL. I agree with Glenfield 100% on this one and the facts clearly support it. I could go on with more examples, but the point is made rather easily.

Last edited by chessgeek; 10-26-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 AM

687 posts, read 1,252,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
In addition to Nicollet and Lake Streets, there are also ethnically diverse businesses on Central Avenue, University Avenue and the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood. Midtown Global Market featuring diverse retail and restaurant offerings representing ethnicities from all over the world is also popular. Mu Performing Arts is the 3rd largest Asian theater group in the nation. St. Paul's Penumbra is one of the largest black theater ensembles in the nation. St. Paul has also started the Little Mekong Street Market. There is a significant Somali population and a Somali person was elected to the Minneapolis City Council recently. There is also a Mexican and an Asian person on the council. Minneapolis' first female mayor (about a decade or so ago) Sharon Sayles Belton, was black.

The American Indian Movement has its headquarters in Minneapolis and was instrumental in influencing the Minneapolis City Council to change "Columbus Day" to "Indigenous People's Day". Whether one agrees with that or not, it simply would not happen in a closed, provincial, insular community. There may be some provincial people here and there, but that is the case in almost any city. The community is welcoming and tolerant for the most part.

The Minneapolis light rail has signs in four different languages. That would not even be conceivable in a provincial, insular community. Congressman Keith Ellison is a black Muslim; the first to be elected in the US and Minneapolis comprises most of his district. I could go on, but obviously someone from 800 miles away who has spent very little time in the area simply is making wild guesses/potshots that happen to be wrong. I also live far away from Minneapolis now; the difference is I am presenting actual facts and information. Anyways, none of these would likely happen in a provincial and insular area.

Scandinavian restaurants are probably outnumbered now by any other ethnic food (including Indian and Thai!) in the Minneapolis area. Hence, one has to go to a church, Ingebretsen's or the American Swedish Institute's cafe for that. LOL. I agree with Glenfield 100% on this one and the facts clearly support it. I could go on with more examples, but the point is made rather easily.
Not comparing any of this to other cities kind of reinforces the insular point.

For instance, the city council having 3 out of 13 minorities is supposed to show how well minorities are represented?

Of cities I checked quick (going by photos, which could be inaccurate), here are those that have a lower percentage of minorities on their city council: Des Moines, St. Paul.

Cities with a higher percentage of minorities on their city council: Cleveland, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Denver, Omaha, Indianapolis.

I'm also wondering if the Minneapolis City Council had any minorities on it a year ago.

We could also advocate for a new Minnesota tourism campaign: "Indian and Thai restaurants, only in Minnesota".

Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,699,048 times
Counting racial makeup on a City Council is not the best way to determine whether or not an area is diverse. In fact, it's a bit insulting to minority cultures to suggest that once they have gotten a person on the City Council they have somehow arrived.

To me, the real question of whether or not a city is welcoming of newcomers or minority cultures is whether or not those cultures can open and run cultural businesses and whether or not the dominant majority culture takes an interest in the newly formed minority culture by frequenting those businesses, attending festivals and art fairs and music performances. Can a group of newcomers or minority subgroups thrive in an area? Are the rules fair and is there any institutional racism present in banks or schools or any of the social systems that would prevent minorities from being able to create a foothold and thrive in an area.

In other words, creating a percentage of racial mix on some government board whether it be at a city, state or federal level is the cheapest and least helpful metric to determine whether or not a minority culture is fairly represented and treated.

Since I do not currently live in the Twin Cities I have no strong opinion on whether or not they are monolithic or insular. But either way, pointing to a black or female or Asian or Muslim politician getting elected is not, in my opinion, very telling.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Well, it's hard to find stats demonstrating how closely people hold onto their culture, but your fellow Minneapolitans on this forum seem to agree with me.
Finding three people to agree with you on an internet forum is not exactly overwhelming evidence. I thought you were more clever than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul