Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Oy, I just have to shake my head and move on, you guys are really really blind to reality, and so stuck up that you can't see the reality that your token council-people of color, and token ethnic museums do not an ethnically diverse city make. The fact that 215 people took the time to post largely the same set of complaints on a page (the first hit when you search hate minneapolis), actually does say something. You can also continue to cling to the myth that population growth somehow makes a better city. I'm not even going to bring Cleveland into this discussion anymore, because that's not the point of this thread, and you people will clearly never understand why there are so many people who actually love this city (not boosters). You have your lily white, clean, safe metropolis. We have our culturally rich, faded, gilded age city that's now reviving itself. To each his own. No city is perfect for everyone, clearly. Your city is great for you guys, my city is great for me. So let's respect those differences, and move on, unless you're too stuck up to believe that someone who's not a booster can love a city that's not named Minneapolis.

So let's get back to the point of this discussion, Minnesotan's snobbishness. Are they snobby? Unquestionably. And that's demonstrated by the fact that they put down and insult literally every state and metro area that's not named Chicago.
Pot calling the kettle black IMO. Someone who dismisses the assets and accomplishments of a person, city, region or state as "token" is more likely a snob IMO. Thanks for moving on, though. (We'll see if you actually do or if you continue to comment instead). Hope all goes well for you in Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You are discounting Cleverfield's previous persona he first presented some years ago as evidenced by this early thread, such a sweet boy back then...something went frighteningly wrong with his turtle, and he now blames us for it.

Where can I buy a turtle in the Northfield area
Something must have gone seriously wrong, this was only 3 years ago:

Wisconsin vs Minnesota, where would you live?

maybe it was that he had to get a job inspecting foreclosed houses

A Poem I Wrote

Last edited by rzzzz; 10-28-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 04:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Quote:

So let's get back to the point of this discussion, Minnesotan's snobbishness. Are they snobby? Unquestionably. And that's demonstrated by the fact that they put down and insult literally every state and metro area that's not named Chicago.
There's where you're wrong. Chicago is not that great.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM

687 posts, read 1,256,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It is obvious you have made up your mind, but you can't seriously think there have been major changes in the area over the last 30 years. That in itself is insular thinking IMO. Now if the thread had been done about St. Cloud or Fargo-Moorhead, then I might agree. I actually forgot about a black councilperson in a north Minneapolis district I believe. Anyways, enough info was provided to demonstrate that the "provincial, insular" claim is without merit! Congrats to those other cities, but it does not take away from Minneapolis' progress at all.

Of course, you twist words at the end. Nothing in my post suggested those restaurants were only in MN. Maybe you meant it as pure humor...who knows. LOL.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by most of this. Particularly the first couple of sentences. I honestly am pretty clueless as to what you are even trying to say. Made up my mind about what? Am I supposed to think there have NOT been changes to the area? And what is "the area" (Minneapolis, Twin Cites, Minnesota, Midwest, something else)? How does any of this seem to be insular thinking? Where did the 30 years come from? What does St. Cloud or Fargo have to do with any of this? Aren't we comparing Minneapolis to similar sized cities? Are you just (snobbishly) slamming St. Cloud and Fargo for no apparent reason?

After that I'm wondering if you are just a troll trying to slam Minneapolis. It seems like you are trying to defend against a claim that Minneapolis is insular by insinuating that nothing that happens outside of Minneapolis matters. Isn't that line of argument just reinforcing the idea that Minneapolis is insular?

I do find most of this thread similar. You had someone from somewhere else give an opinion that Minneapolis is insular. That claim is in part rejected by claiming that people from other areas couldn't possibly know anything about Minneapolis. Ummm, isn't that an insular argument.

Maybe I'll go back and read the thread assuming everything is sarcastic and then maybe it will make more sense.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 PM

198 posts, read 259,448 times
Quote:
Oy, I just have to shake my head and move on, you guys are really really blind to reality, and so stuck up that you can't see the reality that your token council-people of color, and token ethnic museums do not an ethnically diverse city make. The fact that 215 people took the time to post largely the same set of complaints on a page (the first hit when you search hate minneapolis), actually does say something. You can also continue to cling to the myth that population growth somehow makes a better city. I'm not even going to bring Cleveland into this discussion anymore, because that's not the point of this thread, and you people will clearly never understand why there are so many people who actually love this city (not boosters). You have your lily white, clean, safe metropolis. We have our culturally rich, faded, gilded age city that's now reviving itself. To each his own. No city is perfect for everyone, clearly. Your city is great for you guys, my city is great for me. So let's respect those differences, and move on, unless you're too stuck up to believe that someone who's not a booster can love a city that's not named Minneapolis.

Let's "move on and put aside our differences"? You're the one slamming on Minneapolis from your garbage town in the first place. You're the one that's insulting the metro in the first place, we didn't come to attack you, did we? And even if Cleveland historically played a larger role, it doesn't anymore, yet you cling to the past and continue to assault Minneapolis. And looking at a demographics chart and noting that Cleveland is 50% Black doesn't mean it's ethnically diverse, although it may be "racially" diverse. Cleveland's poverty rate, long-running population loss and crime rate is anything but desirable,nor is its the economy and vacancy rate.
And just because there's a bunch of prejudicial people posting about their hatreds of Minneapolis doesn't mean it's bad place- Cleveland has been ranked as the most miserable city in the US multiple times, look up "Cleveland worst city" and there will be a lot of results- over thirty six MILLION when I searched it while Minneapolis didn't even have fourteen and a half million when I searched "Minneapolis worst city"(all of this on google, fyi). And a lot of it in Minneapolis is complaining about the cold- Cleveland is snowier, I might add.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
So you're saying that African Americans are not an ethnicity, they're only a race? That in and of itself is racist. I'm beginning to think that the cities in the middle of the country, from Minneapolis, to St. Louis, all have something in common when it comes to having a deeply embedded White Superiority complex.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
It's nice that you're now slamming entire sections of the North American continent, and I hate to be the one to tell you, but race and ethnicity are two different things.

A race, African Americans for example, might represent many different ethnic traditions, while folks who share an ethnicity might be of different races. (Think ABBA and Marcus Samuelson.) To lump all African Americans together is kind of racist there, Cleverly.

They might have taught you this stuff at St. Olaf had you lasted more than a couple of years.

http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...city-and-race/

Last edited by Glenfield; 10-28-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It's nice that you're now slamming entire sections of the North American continent, and I hate to be the one to tell you, but race and ethnicity are two different things.

A race, African Americans for example, might represent many different ethnic traditions, while folks who share an ethnicity might be of different races. (Think ABBA and Marcus Samuelson.) To lump all African Americans together is kind of racist there, Cleverly.

They might have taught you this stuff at St. Olaf had you lasted more than a couple of years.

Difference Between Ethnicity and Race | Difference Between | Ethnicity vs Race
Actually, it seems I'm the one who has to educate you about the difference between race and ethnicity. Race is a fictional social construct created by White "anthropologists" in the 1800s to describe people's outward appearance, but had nothing to do with culture or nation of origin. To be clear, race is an artificial way of grouping people based on outward appearance. Even though the notion race is largely based on obsolete, false notions, and should be discontinued, if you were to call African Americans a race, you'd be wrong. They are an ethnic group that is a member of a larger Black race. Note the word American in African American. Not all Black People are in fact African Americans, but all Black people are members of the Black artificial social construct called race. Hence African Americans are not a race but an ethnicity. But I wouldn't expect someone from a racist place like Minnesota to know that.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Someone needs to put this thread out of its misery! It has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Someone needs to put this thread out of its misery! It has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness.
Oh noes, he said bad things about Minnesota, now my feewings awe huwt. Instead of addressing the valid points I brought up, you choose to take the path of trying to silence my voice. It just adds more credence to what I've been arguing that Minnesota culture is stuck up, oppressive, and conformist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul