Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times

Advertisements

Someone must be living in all those new apartments and homes that they are building in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
???

You're right, that was arbitrary. (There are so many numbers to choose from) Putting it another way as a measure of an educated workforce:

Ouch.

St. Paul as a city is second in the entire nation in colleges per capita.

Last edited by Govie; 11-19-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 PM

687 posts, read 1,255,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Someone must be living in all those new apartments and homes that they are building in Minneapolis.
The 2012 estimates do not consider any of the years with increased housing permits in Minneapolis. 2013 estimates do include the 2012 housing permits numbers (first of the increased years). Note that well over half the increase from the 2010 census figure to the 2013 estimate occurred with numbers that do not include ANY of the years with increased residential permit numbers in Minneapolis. Even if we assume that vast numbers of people moved into the buildings permitted in 2013, that would still have absolutely no impact on the census estimates for 2013. Also, the census estimates are using occupancy rates and average household sizes from 2010. So, a change in occupancy rates since then won't affect the census estimates at all. Also, tearing down buildings doesn't affect the census estimates. The census bureau assumes a certain percentage of buildings of each age will be torn down each year. So, replacing existing housing with new housing will overestimate the true gain in housing units, and hence population, because the torn down units are not subtracted.

This is not a claim about the actual population increasing or decreasing, I'm just stating that the estimates aren't being largely affected by the residential permit numbers. I would further argue that the population estimates from 2011-2013 are largely unrelated to anything that is happened in that time span at a city level. There is some amount of looking at migration at a county level. But, then that migration is just proportioned off to each city in the county.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:05 AM

231 posts, read 394,383 times
I'm really shocked by the pride of Clevelanders on display on this site. I'm used to Detroiters dumping on Detroit, and I figured Cleveland would be similar.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I'm really shocked by the pride of Clevelanders on display on this site. I'm used to Detroiters dumping on Detroit, and I figured Cleveland would be similar.
Well, I'll have you know that Cleveland was the 5th largest city in the US a hundred years or so ago, rivals New York and Paris for cultural dominance and is the home to Drew Carey!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Well, I'll have you know that Cleveland was the 5th largest city in the US a hundred years or so ago, rivals New York and Paris for cultural dominance and is the home to Drew Carey!
RIVALS New York and Paris? How dare you suggest such a thing! We all know Cleveland blows those cities out of the water. Cleveland reigns supreme! Best in the world and don't let any of us forget it.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I say this as a Detroit native and only an occasional visitor of Minneapolis... Minneapolis is definitely #2 in the Midwest after Chicago, and it has the added benefit of being much less of a troubled city than Chicago. I do think the fact that Minneapolis takes such a big dump on other Midwest metros contributes to its snobbery. They tend to look down on the competition, and who likes that?
I disagree....respectfully. If you're basing that notion on the most recent posts in this particular thread, you should know that Cleverfield super-heated everyone by basically calling MSP a sh*thole and propping his beloved Cleveland way up at the same time. Most Minneapolitans aren't quick to put other places down while simultaneously propping up their own city. I'd say most of any "propping" or "homerism" is usually done in self defense from others. Now, that all being said, Minneapolitans -- like everyone else -- are pretty quick to generalize cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. as dying Rust Belt has-beens, but as some of us know that's simply over-generalizing things.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I've acknowledged from the beginning that Minneapolis has a better economy and higher education attainment. However to say that Minneapolis surpasses Cleveland in all measures is simple arrogance, and blatantly wrong. As I've noted in many of my posts, there are many areas outside of the economy where Cleveland surpasses Minneapolis, due to its prior status as a top 5 city, and the legacy institutions and built environment that come with that. We also are a rising culinary hub, with more great dining options than Minneapolis
You can't just make things up like that. Cleveland does not have more fine dining options than Minneapolis (that is to say I highly doubt it). If you seem to think so, I'd like to see some objective analysis that shows # of 4-star restaurants per capita or something that at least gives you some basis for thinking this. I realize Michael Symon is a big-time chef from Cleveland but the Twin Cities isn't exactly Akron.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Cleveland could well be a "rising culinary hub," but then, so is Minneapolis.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
The people in the Twin Cities are some of the nicest people I've seen compared to other cities. Generally, you can have snobs anywhere. NYC when it comes to being snobbish and the center of the universe tops my list. What I like about NYC though is how blunt and up in your face they are about it. Some people may take that as rude but I respect that. The Midwest is generally more laid back and less rush rush uptight compared to what I've seen. Chicago to an extent pretty much looks down on other Midwest cities while NYC looks down on it's region (and nation).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul