Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM

409 posts, read 1,500,245 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Palm Harbor, Florida. I was born in Wisconsin and was thinking about making a move back to the area, specifically the twin cities metro with my partner. We want to move out of Florida because the weather is too hot, the people are lazy, and the traffic sucks. We are an interracial gay couple (he's black, i'm white). He has lots of friends of all races. The problem is I don't want to move us all the way up there and have it be a mistake. We don't have any problems right where we are at. I don't want to subject him to a place that will give either of us constant stares because of our race or sexuality. People usually don't even know we are gay in public. I realize there are homophobes here and there and everywhere, but generally speaking, how do you think we would be treated in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
No one would look twice at you here. Yes, there are going to be the few individuals that will be different but for the most part the gay community, especially in Minneapolis, is fairly large and well accepted.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Thats kind of what I thought. I know that Minneapolis seems to be a rather progressive city, but the race thing worries me a little as cities in the north tend to be a little more segregated than cities in the south (believe it or not). I heard Milwaukee and Chicago are the 2 most segregated cities in the country. Not sure if this is completely true, but it doesn't suprise me.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:10 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
Minneapolis is de facto segregrated, but not racially so. People just gravitate towards like people here. It isn't a travesty for minorities to live in white areas, and vice versa (no one really cares). Just not as common. Mpls. has one of the best Gay communities around. Personally, I think we are more Gay than San Francisco for the fact that Gays live in every neighborhood. The highest contigency is in Loring Park (a great area for everyone). Interracial relationships are generally OK. Older people will be the most "surprised". I don't think you would run into a hard time living in Urban Mpls. The Cities are very Laissez-Faire socially. I wouldn't worry at all.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Thats what I was kind of thinking. I love Minneapolis and the whole surrounding area. I think it is very underrated.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 PM

279 posts, read 756,630 times
minneapolis or st paul, no problem. stay away from the outer ring suburbs like anoka and dakota counties. there are a lot of people on the far right politically that like to get on the pulpit and try to control other people's lifestyles.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellstone View Post
minneapolis or st paul, no problem. stay away from the outer ring suburbs like anoka and dakota counties. there are a lot of people on the far right politically that like to get on the pulpit and try to control other people's lifestyles.
That is quite the broad sweeping statement and pretty false. You aren't going to have a problem in 99% of the state. Yes, if you moved to a very small, outstate town there would be talk, but when anyone moves to a small outstate town people talk.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:54 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
/\I'm sorry, no. A interracial gay man is going to feel out-of-place in a place like Chaska or Blaine. The prejucice that may arise is debatable, but it would simply not be a comfortable environment. The outerring suburbs are very socially conservative. They may not burn a cross, but they aren't going to have the two over for dinner. Some people in these places are fine with it, but on the whole it is not where one would want to be. It is a broad statement, but not as false as you may think. A gay interracial couple will have problems in more than 1% of the state.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 AM

1,934 posts, read 5,795,529 times
Move to Minneapolis (or St. Paul although I've never lived in St. Paul). You'll be fine anywhere in Minneapolis - are you looking to buy a home or rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul