Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times

Advertisements

And yet the wealthy don't really leave. I think it is a myth that they are being hit hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 PM

319 posts, read 527,409 times
Cost of living and taxes may be higher than the podunk towns around Minnesota and the surrounding states, but both are much lower than the coastal cities with a quality of life comparable to Minneapolis.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 PM

28 posts, read 63,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
So I was lucky enough to stumble on these forums and do some research before a move to Seattle. After garnering much great information before my move, I feel compelled to sdhare my experience here in Minneapolis after a 5 year stint. I’ve had some good, some bad, so here is my review if the area after 5 years.

First the good:
Best #1: Big city amenities, small town benefits. The nice thing about Minneapolis is that I can go to a Twins game, go skiing at Afton, see Lake Calhoun full of people and enjoy concerts any day of the week at First Ave. There was no chance of doing this inmy home of Fargo. Another great thing is that you can do this in Minneapolis without breaking the bank or worrying about safety like you would in say Chicago or NYC. I can still get Thai, Sushi, and Italian or fancy Gastropub fare any day I choose. We have the light rail, and also an international airport. Rents are not cheap, but they aren’t bad either.

Best #2: The lakes, trail system, parks and outdoors. Minneapolis has definitely got it going on for a lake and park system. My road bike has proven invaluable as I am able to use the trail system to get around all the scenic Grand Rounds routes and see the lakes. Plus, we have Minnehaha, a great gem. Anotyher great feature is that you can hit Buck Hill or Afton in a relatively quick drive. People in Chicago or NY can’t enjoy this.

Best #3: Jobs. For a professional, we have a high concentration of Fortune 500 companies. That’s why I moved here (and why I’m moving to Seattle). Our unemployment is low and I think that would have to go in my top 3. There is a hard work ethic here, people show up on time, and most people are fairly educated (note: educated and intelligent are two entirely separate things!). Being abl;e to find work as a professional is quite hard in Fargo, here its much easier.

Now the bad:
Worst #1: The weather. Yes, some of you don’t mind it, some of you “like the seasons.” I’ve never heard anyone say in late January in the office “Man its beautiful today.” Never heard that, ever. My most striking point of deciding to move was going to run around Calhoun in late October. It was pretty much empty, a few souls and their dogs. Contrast that to last week where its crowded with smiling kids and people getting on paddle boats. I know Seattle weather has a bad rep, but I went there in March, it was 55 and everyone was getting out the kayaks for the lake. That doesn’t happen here, I’m sorry.

Worst #2: MN Nice. People are reserved and generally think anything past small talk is weird. That’s the vibe I get. Give directions anywhere but back to your house. In my 5 years here, my best friend was made while on a bus in Cancun. He was a transplant from Green Bay. The only non-work and non-family friends who showed up to my going away party were transplants from Iowa and Michigan. You already have your cliques, family, and limited time, and I get that. But I don’t get that whenever I visit Chicago.

Worst #3: Limited diversity. Yes, we do have a big Somali population. Yes, we do have a Hmong population. Yes Lake Street is like little Veracruz. But I can count on my hand the number of black people I see at Stella’s on a summer night and its usually only one hand if that. It’s not as white as Fargo but its pretty close. Races here don’t mix. My dad’s neighbors hook us up with Mexican BBQ in Houston, but they don’t seem to mix much. And I really wouldn’t want to be black here, man, dating would suck if you are trying to get a white girl from Edina or Minnetonka.

So there it is people. Not trying to bash any of you. It’s a hell of a lot better than Fargo, and I would consider returning at some point in time if the clouds of Seattle do me in. Your city has provided some fun, and some disappointment.

But in the end wherever you go, there you are
my 2 cents-

people are reserved in Seattle too...maybe more so (haven't you researched their boards?)

maybe another big bad---taxes, seem so high (not sure of WA taxes)

Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,396,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new112 View Post
my 2 cents-

people are reserved in Seattle too...maybe more so (haven't you researched their boards?)

maybe another big bad---taxes, seem so high (not sure of WA taxes)
Washington State DOES NOT have an income tax.

One big reason why it is growing faster than many other states right now.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM

???

I am surprised....because they are very blue like MN....

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,396,388 times
Quote:
???

I am surprised....because they are very blue like MN....
Who knows if they will have one down the road, but WA state does not have an income tax. Job growth in Seattle metro area has been strong the last few years. Rural areas of WA state have huge issues with lack of good paying jobs and poverty, though...

Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,457,200 times
Sorry folks. Whatever the "job growth" in Washington, their unemployment is still much higher than Minnesota. 6.8 percent in Washington, 5.3 percent in Minnesota. If "no income tax" is the answer, seems like Washington state should consider getting one. But, of course, we know that is a dumb equation. Despite what business says in Minnesota, there is no equation between income tax and jobs. Never has been.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 AM

my paycheck was cut by a third...enough reason. to evaluate other locations..

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

127 posts, read 213,080 times
Quote:
my paycheck was cut by a third...enough reason. to evaluate other locations..
What exactly does this mean?

Please be specific as "my paycheck was cut by a third" doesn't add up. Taxes were not raised by anywhere close to that......plus it was a state tax increase with a top rate of 9.85%. I'm not sure how one could have their paycheck cut by a third on a 9.85% rate (please note that $150,000 is the cut-off for this rate for single filers......it's $250,000 for joint filers).

Are you now paying child support, or have some other circumstances? I think they take that directly out of your check.

If not, you really should talk to your CPA, because something seems amiss.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 AM

127 posts, read 213,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Washington State DOES NOT have an income tax.

One big reason why it is growing faster than many other states right now.
This is true, but you are leaving out a rather large part of the story.....don't you think?

Washington State does not have a personal or corporate income tax. However, persons that engage in business in Washington are subject to business and occupation and/or public utility tax. These taxes are based on gross receipts of the business.

In fact, unlike corporate taxes which are levied on INCOME (i.e. gross sales minus expenses) in most states, the Washington tax is levied on gross receipts.
What is the business and occupation (B&O) tax?

The state B&O tax is a gross receipts tax. It is measured on the value of products, gross proceeds of sale, or gross income of the business.

Washington, unlike many other states, does not have an income tax. Washington’s B&O tax is calculated on the gross income from activities. This means there are no deductions from the B&O tax for labor, materials, taxes, or other costs of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul