Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Really?

I thought Norm Coleman was mayor of St. Paul before he was elected as a US senator.
He was. But - as Beenhere4ever pointed out - he was elected as a DFL candidate. He switched to the GOP during his term in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

I mean, I've managed to live here in blood-red Alaska for over 10 years without choking the life out of any brain-dead, knee-jerk, intolerant, racist, homophobic, "too stupid to recognize and protect my own self-interest" conservatives.
Wow. Such a "tolerant" description of conservatives...

Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM

125 posts, read 132,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Don't forget to mention Norm Coleman had always been a DFLer till he learned that the party would run someone else. Then he discovered his "Republican" side. And when he ran for Senator, it was an order from the Republican National Committee who wanted Tim Pawlenty for governor. Coleman was losing in his candidacy against Paul Wellstone till Wellstone and his family died in a plane crash. Coleman served a term and was ousted by Amy Klobuchar. He slinked off to a reward from the Republicans for being such a good flunky.
Actually, it was Franken who beat Coleman. Klobuchar was elected to the Senate seat occupied by the retiring Mark Dayton, defeating Congressman Mark Kennedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
He was. But - as Beenhere4ever pointed out - he was elected as a DFL candidate. He switched to the GOP during his term in office.
Coleman was elected to his first term as mayor in 1993 as DFL candidate. He then switched to the GOP in 1996 and was re-elected mayor the following year as a Republican.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Wow. Such a "tolerant" description of conservatives...
Just an example of how hard it is to stay "tolerant" when you are a minority. You may say you tolerate it, but you get angry and bitter inside and sometimes you have to let it out.

That's why conservatives here in TC may be a minority but they are so annoyed at living in a liberal place they elect nutbags like Bachmann and defend her.

That's why African-Americans are pissed off about Trayvon Martin. The merit of this case in particular are not as important as the fact that the majority want to claim that the minority is no longer discriminated against, and the minority knows from experience this is not true.

And every time I go back to the South I feel the rage building up immediately.

I think you might just live a little longer and happier if you move to a place where you feel welcome and accepted, though it is certainly admirable to try and be tolerant and have diverse relationships.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
You know, we do have two major newspapers. The Pioneer Press can be quite conservative.
The Pioneer Press' website (Twincities.com) looks and works like a 2 year old developed it. Anyone agree, or is there something wrong with my computer?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
The Pioneer Press' website (Twincities.com) looks and works like a 2 year old developed it. Anyone agree, or is there something wrong with my computer?
It looks like it was recently updated to make it a bit more pleasing. It did had a real 90s vibe going since the beginning though.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:07 PM

319 posts, read 528,980 times
Quote:
That's so you can tell it's the conservative "counterpoint"!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Well, as it turns out, I got a new computer today, and the PP site loads perfectly onto it. Sorry, Pioneer Press! (It could still use some touching up, though).

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
"Progressive" doesn't necessarily have to mean "liberal" down the line, does it?
Hell no it doens't!

I consider myself a "Liberal". I'm in favor of legalizing marijuana, free speech, privacy, due process, peace (i.e. staying out of wars), helping our citizens who need help, supporting Mom & Pop instead of corporate interests, keeping good jobs home for our workers & defending the Constitution so we keep all these great things going. A liberal in the Ralph Nader/Paul Wellstone mold.

The Progressives I meet in the Twin Cities generally tend to support the surveillance state, indefinite detentions, drone strikes, secret kill lists, war/military interventions (any/all if launched by a Democrat), exporting US jobs (read: Globalization), corporate interests & seem to despise the Constitution because apparently it's all outdated & the Founding Fathers were racist, white men so that means they know better. There's nothing "Liberal" about indefinite detentions, NSA spying, drone strikes or destabilizing countries that aren't a threat to us like Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, et al.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l12 View Post
That's why African-Americans are pissed off about Trayvon Martin. The merit of this case in particular are not as important as the fact that the majority want to claim that the minority is no longer discriminated against, and the minority knows from experience this is not true.
I agree. There was no case against Zimmerman (obviously). The reason people were pissed off is because in general they feel wronged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul