Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 PM

100 posts, read 253,485 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think are rivals with Minneapolis? There are subcategories that break it up and than there is the ultimate RIVAL and secondary rival at the end.

Subcategories:

by region (census four regions):
midwest:
northeast:
south:
west:

sports:

peer city (similar in size, good reputation like MSP, clean, lots of fortune 500's...):

RIVAL:
secondary rival:

biggest opposite city:

mn state rival 1:
mn state rival 2:

You can copy and paste this if you like. Feel free to add other subcategories.
---------------------------------
mine:

Subcategories:

by region:
midwest: Detroit. I wanted to put Chicago, but that city is really in a class of its own in the midwest. I fill like we minnesotans are trying to show the rest of the country that Minneapolis is the 2nd city in the midwest and not falling Detroit.
northeast: Not sure we a huge rivalry in the northeast, but if there is one, I would say Boston.
south: Charlotte or Dallas.
west: Denver.

sports: Chicago. This was an obvious choice for me. I am not a big fan of the White Sox and although I don't hate the bears, I don't love them. If the North Stars were still around, this city rivalry by sports would seem even bigger. Detroit would be second, but Wisconsin makes a case if it can be clumped as a rivalry between Milwaukee (Brewers), Madison (Badgers), and Green Bay (whatever that team is called).

peer city (similar in size, good reputation like MSP, clean, lots of fortune 500's...): Denver. For some reason, this was an obvious choice. It is also a nice city that I see compared a lot with Minneapolis. Seattle also came to mind.

RIVAL: I think we love Minneapolis as a big city with small town benefits. But, I feel that Chicago is still our overall bigger rival. This seems to contradict the midwest rival put as Detroit, but I guess it still feels like Chicago is our bigger rival, despite Detroit being more of competitor based on similar size.
secondary rival: Detroit.

biggest opposite city: Los Angeles. So unlike Minneapolis.

state rival 1: Wisconsin
state rival 2: Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Id say Portland is another peer city, not sure about fortune 500s, but like Seattle and Denver, Ive heard a lot of comparisons between Portland and Minneapolis on these forums

Old 06-28-2010, 09:15 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
I would say that, in the Midwest, Minneapolis’ rival cities would be Detroit and St Louis. Although, I do believe that Minneapolis is firmly seated as the number two city in the region.

I have to disagree somewhat with Boston as a rival. Although the two cities are similar by virtue of their dominance within a large sub-region (New England, Upper Midwest), Boston really is a level above Minneapolis, and is probably more accurately a rival city with Chicago. I do think Pittsburgh would be about the only city in the Northeast that might fit.

The South is a difficult one. I think Minneapolis falls slightly short of Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta; but is clearly above Charlotte or any other Southern city.

In the West; Seattle and Denver… maybe San Diego and Portland.

Sports: it’s hard to argue with Chicago. Minneapolis sports teams tend to be in the same divisions as Chicago Teams. Ever since the brewers switched leagues, the only real Minneapolis-Milwaukee rivalry in professional sports is the Vikings-Packers.

I think you’re right on for the peer cities. I think Seattle is the ultimate peer to Minneapolis. The similarities between the two are often uncanny. Denver is also a close fit.

Biggest Rival city: Chicago, although, I often get the feeling from people in Milwaukee that they consider Minneapolis to be their biggest rival.

Biggest opposite: Miami

State rivalries: Wisconsin and, to a lesser extent, Iowa

Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
midwest: I would say St. Paul, MN. You don't have to be in either city long to realize that there is a rivalry between the two. Other than that, perhaps Kansas City, MO, although I have never heard of either city bagging on the other; they are just the two Midwest cities that are most similar.

Both Chicago and Detroit are just too different to even begin to compare to Minneapolis, and both are too 'hectic' by Minneapolis/Minnesota standards. I've never heard of either of these cities vying for anything against Minneapolis. Don't forget that the Midwest extends all the way to Ohio.

northeast: This is tough. Boston definitely compares to Chicago, but I don't think that there is any rivalry between the Northeast and Minneapolis...the one and only possible exception is the Maine Black Bears for college hockey. It is a common belief in the Northeast, even in New England, that Midwesterners are 'simple-minded.' So perhaps the entire region?

south: I would have to say Austin, TX., but only because both cities think that they are at the center of the Indie music scene.

west: Portland, OR., is the most similar, but I don't see a rivalry between the two unless it is over which city has the largest population that commutes by bicycle.

sports: This is a tough one. Most people will say the Packers, but the Packers true rival is the Bears. The Gophers....it seems to switch between Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. I don't follow the MLB, so I dunno. As for the T-Wolves, it is Washington.

peer city (similar in size, good reputation like MSP, clean, lots of fortune 500's...): Portland, OR., no doubt.

RIVAL:
secondary rival
: I dunno.

biggest opposite city: I would say Detroit, but also New York, Chicago, Boston, LA, Seattle, St. Louis,.....and just about any other city of its size except for Portland, OR. and Kansas City, MO.

mn state rival 1: Iowa
mn state rival 2: Wisconsin

Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
What cities do you think are rivals with Minneapolis? There are subcategories that break it up and than there is the ultimate RIVAL and secondary rival at the end.

Subcategories:

midwest:
northeast:
south:
west:

sports:

peer city (similar in size, good reputation like MSP, clean, lots of fortune 500's...):

RIVAL:
secondary rival:

biggest opposite city:

mn state rival 1:
mn state rival 2:

You can copy and paste this if you like. Feel free to add other subcategories.
---------------------------------
mine:

Subcategories:

by region:
midwest: Detroit. I wanted to put Chicago, but that city is really in a class of its own in the midwest. I fill like we minnesotans are trying to show the rest of the country that Minneapolis is the 2nd city in the midwest and not falling Detroit.
northeast: Not sure we a huge rivalry in the northeast, but if there is one, I would say Boston.
south: Charlotte or Dallas.
west: Denver.

sports: Chicago. This was an obvious choice for me. I am not a big fan of the White Sox and although I don't hate the bears, I don't love them. If the North Stars were still around, this city rivalry by sports would seem even bigger. Detroit would be second, but Wisconsin makes a case if it can be clumped as a rivalry between Milwaukee (Brewers), Madison (Badgers), and Green Bay (whatever that team is called).

peer city (similar in size, good reputation like MSP, clean, lots of fortune 500's...): Denver. For some reason, this was an obvious choice. It is also a nice city that I see compared a lot with Minneapolis. Seattle also came to mind.

RIVAL: I think we love Minneapolis as a big city with small town benefits. But, I feel that Chicago is still our overall bigger rival. This seems to contradict the midwest rival put as Detroit, but I guess it still feels like Chicago is our bigger rival, despite Detroit being more of competitor based on similar size.
secondary rival: Detroit.

biggest opposite city: Los Angeles. So unlike Minneapolis.

state rival 1: Wisconsin
state rival 2: Michigan
I am going to ignore your categories and say that Minneapolis's only real rival is St. Paul. In fact, Minneapolis and St. Paul is probably the greatest city-to-city rivalry in American history. Nowhere else do you see two cities so invariably linked and influencing one another through rivalry. One builds a cathedral, the other builds basilica to show them up. One builds Summit Avenue, another builds Park Avenue to try to show them up. That's why there is literally a counterpart to almost everything in Minneapolis in St. Paul, and vice versa. First National, or Foshay? Landmark Center, or City Hall? Ordway, or Orchestra Hall? Nicollet Mall, or Seventh Street Mall? Lafayette Bridge, or Hennepin Avenue Bridge? Boom Island, or Harriet Island? The list literally goes on and on.

Chicago is a big sports rival, Milwaukee (or really, Wisconsin) is too. Detroit can be, but the Lions are always such doormats and the Tigers are only good occasionally, so it's not a very passionate rivalry. Wisconsin is our state rival, no question, but as far as cities go? The only that inspires true, passionate emnity in Minneapolitans is St. Paul.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
midwest: I would say St. Paul, MN. You don't have to be in either city long to realize that there is a rivalry between the two. Other than that, perhaps Kansas City, MO, although I have never heard of either city bagging on the other; they are just the two Midwest cities that are most similar.

Both Chicago and Detroit are just too different to even begin to compare to Minneapolis, and both are too 'hectic' by Minneapolis/Minnesota standards. I've never heard of either of these cities vying for anything against Minneapolis. Don't forget that the Midwest extends all the way to Ohio.
??? I'm curious about how Minneapolis and Kansas City are similar? I don't think I've ever heard that before...

And both of those cities do vy with Minneapolis-- consistently on the sports scene. The Twins, Tigers, and White Sox are always at the top of the division (if you don't follow baseball, though, I don't expect you'd know that). There are other elements of rivalry with those cities, too, but really, Minneapolis's true rival is St. Paul. It's just a shame that all the pro-sports teams here are "Minnesota," and that the two cities never get to play each other in anywthing anymore...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:18 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
The cities that I notice coming up most frequently as "rivals" to Minneapolis seem to be Austin, Portland, and Denver, and sometimes Seattle.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
??? I'm curious about how Minneapolis and Kansas City are similar? I don't think I've ever heard that before...

And both of those cities do vy with Minneapolis-- consistently on the sports scene. The Twins, Tigers, and White Sox are always at the top of the division (if you don't follow baseball, though, I don't expect you'd know that). There are other elements of rivalry with those cities, too, but really, Minneapolis's true rival is St. Paul. It's just a shame that all the pro-sports teams here are "Minnesota," and that the two cities never get to play each other in anywthing anymore...
My interpretation of the Original Poster’s intent was to compare cities as defined by their metropolitan regions. As such, “Minneapolis” is representative of the entire Minneapolis-St Paul MSA. I realize that doesn’t tend to sit well with St. Paulites, but the reality is that most people outside of the area fold St Paul into the broader term “Minneapolis”

It’s been several decades since Minneapolis and St Paul could legitimately be described as rivals (cities which exist on/near the same hierarchical level). I’ve never heard anyone in Minneapolis define St Paul as a rival. To the extent that any rivalry still exists, it is generally a reflection of a long-standing civic inferiority complex on the part of St Paul. That’s a shame, because St Paul is a wonderful city in its own right.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,049 times
I'm a native New Englander who currently resides happily in Minnesota, and I will tell you all that Minneapolis doesn't have a "rival" in the Northeast (Boston included). First, the Midwest (with the possible exception of Chicago) simply does not register on the Northeast's radar. That's just the frank and honest truth. Second, and more importantly, Minneapolis does not have much in common with any large Northeastern city. To me it feels like it has more in common with large cities in the south and west. That's where I'd look for a "rival".

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,825 times
Sports: Chicago, Milwaukee
Public Transit: Portland, St. Louis
Architecture: Denver?
Culture: Austin, Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul