Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,668,452 times

Advertisements

Looks like this hand wringing is the latest trend among the media elitists. Personally, I reject the concept that a city is to be branded like a consumer product. I also reject more of the trendy images these folks want to associate us with, but that's just me.

http://www.mcknight.org/system/asset..._2013FINAL.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM

416 posts, read 557,585 times
I think the point of the article is that the Twin Cities has many attributes comparable to cities that are more well known nationally and whose names instantly conjure a distinctive image. It IS amazng how MSP has remained under the radar for so long. We have friends all over the country and when I mention Minneapolis they just go blank - they have no idea what's there. Seattle, Austin, Chicago, Portland, San Diego, etc. and many other cities are experiencing reverse flight and revitalization. Their names pop here and there in various contexts all the time now. Don't hear peep about Minneapolis.

Of course I'm sure many here like it that way.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,668,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I think the point of the article is that the Twin Cities has many attributes comparable to cities that are more well known nationally and whose names instantly conjure a distinctive image. It IS amazng how MSP has remained under the radar for so long. We have friends all over the country and when I mention Minneapolis they just go blank - they have no idea what's there. Seattle, Austin, Chicago, Portland, San Diego, etc. and many other cities are experiencing reverse flight and revitalization. Their names pop here and there in various contexts all the time now. Don't hear peep about Minneapolis.

I have business and personal contacts all over the US and Europe and I have never met anyone who did not have at least some familiarity with this area. I'm not sure why, but our personal experience is really quite different.

When I read these different articles, they're not saying that people elsewhere don't have an image of the Twin Cities, it's just not the cool, hipster friendly image that the writers hope for. I suspect that what they really want is affirmation of how cool they are even though they live in flyover country and never could get that LA or NYC job they wanted.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,448,115 times
This is more of Rybak's mentality of "we have to keep up". Never mind the fact that it is the REST of the country that is behind US. We have so many Harold Hill's around these days proposing imaginary problems for which they have "the perfect solution". I guess if we were a hick town in Iowa, I could see it flustering us, but this is a highly educated and informed town, and we shouldn't be so quick to fall for the hucksters who keep showing up.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If Mpls/St Paul doesn't have a well-known brand by now, forget it. Branding is like nicknames, if you have to give your self one it immediately smacks of trying too hard and the result wallows in lameness. Does anyone know what St Paul's official slogan is..."the most livable city in America", can't say I've seen that one on too many t-shirts in my travels. I really don't know if Minneapolis has a slogan. The Mini-apple is more of a moniker and who really doesn't cringe every time they hear that anyways.

Ruben Rosario: Calling all creative, clever slogans for St. Paul - TwinCities.com

Tagline Guru | City Branding Survey
Never listen to marketing people. To them, everything needs a "brand", and everything is for sale. Just a bunch of hucksters..

Fargo quote: "We're not a bank, Jerry..."

Old 07-29-2013, 12:28 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,898,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Never listen to marketing people. To them, everything needs a "brand", and everything is for sale. Just a bunch of hucksters..

Fargo quote: "We're not a bank, Jerry..."
everything I ever needed to know in life I learned watching 'Fargo' and 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,081,143 times
Why do the Twin Cities have to be branded? The rest of the country knows all about your obsession with spelunking and chipmunks.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,218,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post

If that means less people moving here and trying to change it into the place that they left, it sounds good to me. The less that out of state criminals know about the area the better too.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,856,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
everything I ever needed to know in life I learned watching 'Fargo' and 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'
"You've got to know things like that when you're the king"

"You've got to let me go back and face the peril"..
"No, it's too perilous"..

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,448,115 times
I have an idea. Let's round up the PR people and brand THEM. By the way, it strikes me that some of this talk comes straight out of the boss' mouth in Dilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul