Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times

Advertisements

I am a landlord of a townhouse and am debating legal action.

Summary of situation:

New carpet and paint of entire townhouse prior to tennant moving in.
Leased for 1 year
Renter never returned move in check list
Smell is dog
I was aware of the dog and noted on the lease.
After renter moved out I have had the carpet professionally cleaned twice
all floors and wall cleaned and yet the smell remains
Both the carpet contractor and professional cleaners state the smell is in the padding and no choice but to replace.

My question really comes down to is this considered standard ware and tear?
I cant rent it to anyone until the carpet is replaced its smells that bad.
The lease clearly states the renter is responsible anything above and beyond standard ware.

Now they are even asking for the deposit back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
If you have to replace the carpet because of their dog, that is what the security deposit is for. In the future if you rent to people with pets, get a non-refundable security deposit to cover the cost of cleaning and carpet repair if necessary. I don't know that you can take them to small claims court if you ok'd the dog and only took however much in a security deposit unless it was written into the lease that they pay above and beyond for any damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul