U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:10 PM

19 posts, read 27,857 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply's. It appears my wife will likely work from home so that really narrows the scope to most areas around SLP, though I work on the border of SLP and Minnetonka, pretty close to Ridgedale Mall for those that know the area. I will be there in the coming weeks for work so I'm planning on taking some drives around different areas (if I can find the time). We are planning a scouting trip sometime in Oct and then follow-ups as necessary. We live in Iowa so weather isn't an issue for me personally, my wife thinks its the tundra so we might avoid winter visits for now.

With the wife working from home it adds the requirement of a home office or another bedroom to convert into a home office. I'm willing to head further out west if need be for houses that might fit into our wish list. We are the type who are torn between old and new, older characterful houses that we can make our own or a newer ones that is more our style (modern) inside. We currently live in an 80 yr old house that has tons of character but is small, has limited storage and space and needs constant work, not to mention it has been completly renovated on the inside by yours truly. The house looks fantastic but we have outgrown it and have a list of pet peeves, plus I am sick and tired of doing work on it. Not that you can help with that but there might be areas to consider or avoid that you all know about. I've looked in Edina, Minnetonka, SLP and EP and I am seeing a lot of mid 80's split levels which I'm not a fan of at all. Perhaps my taste level is not in line with what I am willing to spend. We shall see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,806,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambling homebrewer View Post
Thanks for the reply's. It appears my wife will likely work from home so that really narrows the scope to most areas around SLP, though I work on the border of SLP and Minnetonka, pretty close to Ridgedale Mall for those that know the area. I will be there in the coming weeks for work so I'm planning on taking some drives around different areas (if I can find the time). We are planning a scouting trip sometime in Oct and then follow-ups as necessary. We live in Iowa so weather isn't an issue for me personally, my wife thinks its the tundra so we might avoid winter visits for now.

With the wife working from home it adds the requirement of a home office or another bedroom to convert into a home office. I'm willing to head further out west if need be for houses that might fit into our wish list. We are the type who are torn between old and new, older characterful houses that we can make our own or a newer ones that is more our style (modern) inside. We currently live in an 80 yr old house that has tons of character but is small, has limited storage and space and needs constant work, not to mention it has been completly renovated on the inside by yours truly. The house looks fantastic but we have outgrown it and have a list of pet peeves, plus I am sick and tired of doing work on it. Not that you can help with that but there might be areas to consider or avoid that you all know about. I've looked in Edina, Minnetonka, SLP and EP and I am seeing a lot of mid 80's split levels which I'm not a fan of at all. Perhaps my taste level is not in line with what I am willing to spend. We shall see.
What is an example of a house your looking for? We might know of a neighborhood which has similar (in the price range you want).

Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Ok examples, I found easy examples in the locale not within the target area per se. I don't want to go over 400K again, it depends on the house, if I get one that is done and doesn't need updating and constant care then ok but anything else has to be less, since I know how much of a money pit older houses are.

Here is a house on the outside we would be ok with from a style perspective(though it is cookie cutter we could live with it) the inside is pretty much right on with our a taste, so that is why I added it.
11610 St Andrews Circle, Blaine, MN 55449 - TheMLSonline.com

Take your pick on the outside. Anything older like these we like.

This one is good inside and out, but too $ much for my blood.
3141 Humboldt Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408 - TheMLSonline.com
Dreadful kitchen
5014 1st Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55419 - TheMLSonline.com
Similar to my house now except with a terrible kitchen
5901 Oakland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55417 - TheMLSonline.com
Another one similar to what I live in now but again with the awful cheap apartment looking kitchen and no yard.
5301 Humboldt Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55419 - TheMLSonline.com
This one is good for the most part- the curb appeal for me is great.
3333 Colfax Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408 - TheMLSonline.com

Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambling homebrewer View Post
Ok examples, I found easy examples in the locale not within the target area per se. I don't want to go over 400K again, it depends on the house, if I get one that is done and doesn't need updating and constant care then ok but anything else has to be less, since I know how much of a money pit older houses are.

Here is a house on the outside we would be ok with from a style perspective(though it is cookie cutter we could live with it) the inside is pretty much right on with our a taste, so that is why I added it.
11610 St Andrews Circle, Blaine, MN 55449 - TheMLSonline.com

Take your pick on the outside. Anything older like these we like.

This one is good inside and out, but too $ much for my blood.
3141 Humboldt Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408 - TheMLSonline.com
Dreadful kitchen
5014 1st Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55419 - TheMLSonline.com
Similar to my house now except with a terrible kitchen
5901 Oakland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55417 - TheMLSonline.com
Another one similar to what I live in now but again with the awful cheap apartment looking kitchen and no yard.
5301 Humboldt Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55419 - TheMLSonline.com
This one is good for the most part- the curb appeal for me is great.
3333 Colfax Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408 - TheMLSonline.com
If you keep looking in south Minneapolis eventually one will come on the market you like with the price you like. I have seen houses like that for under 300k (with some reno work) in south minneapolis before.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 PM

How about schools in south Minneapolis? Any family neighborhoods?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM

There are pockets of good and bad neighborhoods. When you are interested in a house drive around the area several times and give it the sniff test. You can usually tell immediately what the culture of a neighborhood is by the tell tale signs (I'm sure they are the same in Iowa). As for schools, I'm not too familiar but from what I have read statistic wise and hear about in news reports (when a school is in the news it's usually never a good thing) I wouldn't risk it. Look for an affordable private one or drive them to another district.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I will be looking for other places to live around the TC. I don't want to have to private or bus my kids around too much. Where I live now is a prime example, cool community in the city, beautiful houses, and we were planning on moving because of schools. Now that I'm relo no need to move into that situation again.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM

So I've visited with my wife a few times and we liked Plymouth (certain areas) and Minnetonka. Can anyone tell me about the Glen Lake area? Nice, terrible, otherwise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul