Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

The stifling humidity made me want to go out for something to eat after midnight. I got a nice chicken and bacon sandwich at Denny's on Lake Street. But doing that reminded me of past eras where there were more options. Used to have all-nighters at Country Kitchen, Perkins and other places. One by one these seem to have dropped off the map. Right now I know of only Denny's and Mickey's Diner in downtown St Paul where you can go AFTER some other event for a snack and coffee (Perkins had the endless cup). And I'm wondering if the fact that the youngest Boomer's are now in their 40's with families is part of the reason why. When there were no kids to get up in the morning, you could watch the sun rise if you wanted to.

When I was in Toronto, gamers kept the game rooms open all night, which meant I could check email from home whenever the mood struck me. Those Internet cafes are pretty much extinct, too.

So that makes me wonder if two is the grand total for all night places. I found an article of late night places Best Places Open After Midnight In The Twin Cities « CBS Minnesota

But those places close anywhere from 2am to 4am. Takes you most of the way, and it is possible that people don't get kicked out if they aren't ready to go home. But it is a pale shadow of what we had in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM

464 posts, read 802,854 times
Other than the Perkins/IHOP/Denny's trio, yeah, there is not much out there, unfortunately. Minneapolis and St. Paul do tend to shut down earlier than some other cities, so it's probably a reflection of that.

I was disappointed when the Denny's by me closed, not because I'm a huge fan of Denny's, but because it was nice to have a place where I could get something to eat at an odd hour (plus they are nice for people who work well into the night).

Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

573 posts, read 1,049,611 times
Flame burger is open all night

Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
The one in Fridley? Or all of them?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

464 posts, read 802,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
That's right -- never been there, but I've heard of it. I used to know a night-owl software programmer (which might be a redundant phrase if ever there was one) who used it as his remote office.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
That's right -- never been there, but I've heard of it. I used to know a night-owl software programmer (which might be a redundant phrase if ever there was one) who used it as his remote office.
There's a guy with his laptop every night at Denny's.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
The one in Fridley? Or all of them?
I believe both of them but for sure the one in little Canada. The other one is in hilltop or Columbia heights. Hilltop being surrounded by Columbia heights so I'm not sure the city. I wonder what steps could be taken to make Minneapolis a bit more of a 24 hour city?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
There's a guy with his laptop every night at Denny's.
Denny's is ok if you don't mind the sketchy people that show up in the middle of the night. The one on lake street that is.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:47 PM

Uptown diner is 24 hrs on the weekend. Mickey's diner is always open. Hard times cafe is open from 6 am to 4 am everyday.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM

I can't fault the sketchy people. I'm one of them. Though I stopped sketching a long time ago when I realized how little talent I had. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul