Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM

414 posts, read 537,637 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and plan to move within a yr. Standard of living is low here, and it's tough for middle class, plus too many people, takes forever to get anywhere. Basically looking for lower COL and better every day QOL, that said obviously its not the only thing, as everyone would wan live in BFE like Wyoming or someth. I used to live in Portland and while it is nice QOL wise, I found it pretty boring and corny with all that Portlandia/hipster vibe, didnt find enough places to go to. I am a white dude, but I am a Russian immigrant so I tend to get along better with other immigrants or minorities. Portland seems somewhat like backwater and pretty mediocre, comparing to neighboring Seattle and the economy is not great, actually feels like poor man's Seattle. I want a slightly bigger and more cosmopolitan city than Portland. Is Mpls region more diverse? For some reason I haven't even heard about Mpls till recent yrs only, and I don't know if I am just ignorant or the region is kinda low key and Midwest tends to get overlooked. Anyway, I don't mind snow, being from Russia, but I don't like driving in the snow though. I am also considering Seattle, which would be a natural choice, since I am familiar with the region, but want to consider multiple options before I decide. That overcast weather does get depressing after a while. No place is perfect though, obviously, so I wanna weigh everything. Does the snow get cleaned up fast? Is heat/humidity kinda like NE or more? How's the nightlife? Does Mpls feel bigger than Portland? Is there more to do? Any other general info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
We're sort of in a similar situation. My husband is from seattle area (issaquah-Samammish) and I'm from Minnesota. Depending on where he gets a better job offer that's where we'll be moving in the next six months. As for Minneapolis and Portland, I've never been to Portland but my husband says its like the little brother to seattle but more earthy I think as you described.

We constantly compare Minneapolis and Seattle and they really are VERY similar. A obvious one is the weather, though its much more temperent in Seattle (I.e. you can go for a run any time of the year without freezing to death) it's cloudier. Minnesota can be very cold but the sun does still shine I the winter more than for a few mins once or twice a week. The driving though, you'll have to drive in Minneapolis unless you take the light rail or bus or walk close to work.

The people are vastly different. Seattle people are nice but in a more relaxed way. They'll strike up random convo but not for long and they go on their way. Minnesotans wil, strike up convo and talk for a while. Minnesotans are humble people.

Seattle is beautiful and offers all landscapes. Minneapolis has many lakes including Lake Superior and some mountains way up north past Duluth. As for snow, Minneapolis is made for snow so it's not a big problem as it is in many cities. It's cleaned up relatively quickly but I'm not the expert on that so I'd suggest others can give more information on snow. Humidity can be rough in Minnesota in the summer with all the lakes but that's what they're there for

As for COL it's higher in seattle but pay may be higher too. I think seattle is more fitting for younger, un-married people but again it's all personal. Best of luck!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

yea, seattle seems more white collar and more cultured these days than portland
i like how mpls looks, sleek, modern looking downtown kinda like seattle, not too big, not too small

Highway Tour of Minneapolis - YouTube

Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Coincidentally, you might be interested to know that the only museum dedicated to Russian art in all of North America just happens to be in Minneapolis:

The Museum of Russian Art

Minneapolis-St. Paul are actually quite sunny in the winter except for November which is often the cloudiest month. It's unpredictable though. Roads are cleared quickly and the freeways are almost always ice and snow-free. It will get dicey just after a heavy snow but overall you won't find a better city that handles the weather.

If you like live theater, Minneapolis is the place to be outside of New York.

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 09-09-2013 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: copyrighted photos not allowed

Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
I will say having been to NYC twice, once recently that I think Seattle would be more similar to what you're used to in the pace of life. Minneapolis is a city but things tend to move slower, a lot of that has to do with the Minnesota nice thing where people don't want to be too pushy.

However Minneapolis downtown TRUMPS Seattle downtown. It's much more sophisticated and nice. Not huge by any means but like you said; modern and sleek. Granted Bellevue is kind of the up and coming downtown for Seattle though and that's a nice city.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Can't wait to visit Minneapolis then if its downtown trumps Seattle's. Minneapolis just seems like a true hidden gem.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Can't wait to visit Minneapolis then if its downtown trumps Seattle's. Minneapolis just seems like a true hidden gem.
im not so sure about that part

Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 PM

367 posts, read 545,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
It's true. I think Seattle is vastly overrated. The Twin Cities region overall is one of the nicest, if not the nicest, metropolitan areas in the country. If you come here, take some time to drive around not only both core downtowns (Mpls and St Paul) but the vast suburban areas as well, from the Lake Minnetonka communities to Stillwater. I guarantee you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
I can definitely see it being true, at least from the photos I've seen. Looks very vibrant. Well, there's only one way to find out isn't there.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Minneapolis has a nice downtown, but Seattle has one of the nicest in the country.

Pretty much, IMO there is no other big metro in the country that gives you as high of a quality of life for what you pay as the Twin Cities. We have a great quality of life here. It is very livable here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul