Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 AM

14 posts, read 55,400 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I'm not moving for quite some time yet but I enjoy looking a bit and trying to watch certain areas for houses. Unfortunately, I've only been to Minneapolis once so far and didn't get much of a chance to drive around. I hope to make it out once or twice in the next twelve month. I will be shopping around for areas to live then.
Unlike most of the folks I have read so far, I don't want to live in town. I'm looking for an area out of town that has a little more space to spread out, a few acres if possible. I'm sure my job will require that I commute into the city though.
Are there areas, out of town that still have some of that old farm community charm? Areas that will allow me to get into the heart of Minneapolis in under, oh say, 45 minutes? I'm used to Baltimore traffic so I'm hoping I'll be prepared for Minneapolis driving.

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
There are several outlying towns around the metro area that will suit your needs easily. You will have your choice of towns if you are willing to drive 45 minutes. It is hard to recommend something right now not knowing where you will be working. If your job is in Brooklyn Center you don't want to buy a house in say Cannon Falls. If you are in downtown Minneapolis you can pretty much live anywhere but if you end up working on one side of the metro or another you don't want to live on the opposite side.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,197 times
45 minutes gives you loads of leeway in all directions.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 AM

So, maybe a better way to ask is, how far can I travel from and expect to get to downtown in 45 minutes or less. I currently travel 13 miles in 45ish minutes.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 AM

Depending on where exactly you are you can easily double that distance in the Twin Cities. We are about 30 miles from the Eden Prairie headquarters for our company and when I need to go there for meetings, etc. I can get there in 35 minutes. I pass the exit for Downtown Minneapolis on the way and would probably get to downtown in under 40 minutes via 35W, the busiest route into Minneapolis from the south. There are other routes I would take if I were traveling to downtown however that would get me there 5-10 minutes earlier. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of businesses in the suburbs, especially inner ring suburbs that would drastically cut your commute. My DH works in Bloomington, 15 minutes from our driveway to his desk. If your office was in his building a 45 minute commute would put you right in the middle of major farm country and a plethora of small towns.

There are also several towns in the metro area proper that have housing developments where all the houses are on 2 or more acre lots--not sure if that is what you are thinking or not but I think you will easily be able to find some space with a reasonable commute to work.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the info. That's what I need for some of my online wanderings.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,346 times
Maybe you could just live in the city, like a responsible person and not contribute to the congestion on the highways....

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,197 times
Not helpful icy

Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM

It's ok. I appreciate Icy's opinion. I can appreciate what he or she is after. If it will calm his or her nerves, I am looking for telecommuting jobs, that way I don't have to drive everywhere regardless however, those are still hard to come by.

Perhaps Icy could give me a good indication as to where in the city I could find my requirements. I'll make a point to look there as well. I know Golfgal had indicated there were opportunities like this in the city. You see I'm in the strength community and hope to have somewhere to pile all my gear, somewhere that I can take 50yrd farmer and yoke walks on my own property. Where could I find some places like that?

Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM

What line of business are you in/what type of job are you looking for. There are other places outside of the Twin Cities that might work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul